Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Does Ali/Ali's corners blatant use of banned substances to recover damage his legacy?
Yes 5 22.73%
No 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #136
SolomonDeedes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali and PEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedx View Post
The only argument I'm making is that Ali's was weaker in his earlier career. He got lucky in some of his fights when he was losing on points and got a cut (Sonny Banks), knocked down and hurt by Cooper and had to use smelling salts among other thins.
I think you'll find that Sonny Banks, after scoring a first-round knockdown, was badly beaten in the second and third, and stopped by the referee because he was still wobbling when he came out for the fourth.
SolomonDeedes is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #137
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Tell that to Erbito Salavarria
I would, but I haven't got a ****ing clue who he is.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #138
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Tell that to Erbito Salavarria
I googled him, and, yes, I seem to have been mistaken or otherwise talking out of my ass.

Interesting and suspicious case. Sounds like he might have been set up.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #139
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
serious question.

If a person knocks Ali hes a troll, if someone defends him hes an arse-kisser. What way would you like questions to be asked/answered?
Well, it's not a serious question, but never mind.

Sorry john, you seem like a nice bloke and a generally solid poster, but the thing you said earlier about the forum being a revolving door for anti-Ali propagandists or whatever says it all for me, or at least enough to the point where I don't intend to argue about it. Stevie (another nice, affable poster, btw) makes enough pointless, run-of-the-mill one-liners about Ali and the 70's heavyweights to last a lifetime without me adding to it, which I'm probably doing by even bothering to reply.

I'm fairly well-read on the subject of Ali and I'm ambivalent about him, in short. Great, great fighter and a significant 20th century personality in some ways, but you'll forgive me for saying that he isn't/wasn't MLK or Noam Chomsky where humanist dissidence and social activism are concerned, even though he ridiculously enjoys a greater reputation than both in the eyes of the average man.

How would I like questions to be asked and answered? In a balanced manner that cuts through all the bullshit, which way too few people actually bother to do. The arsekissers outweigh the trolls by a ratio of at least 10,000 to 1; don't even think about disputing that. And considering that their distorted, mythological view of Ali is the enduring and overriding one on a global scale, you'd think that pouncing on the occasional lone fruitloop like a pack of rabid dogs would be beneath them, as would be pretending that their viewpoint is the minority one. I'm not just talking about this thread with all of this. I've seen more pro-Ali statements than I can remember on this forum and others that were, upon critical scrutiny, at least as blind and/or belligerent as most of the stuff Il Duce used to come out with, and most of them went completely unchallenged. And no, I'm not trawling back through the annals to dig it all out. It does Ali as much of a disservice as what wrongly criticising him does, probably even moreso considering the scale on which it happens.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #140
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Evens the score for Kid Tunero getting chloroformed vs Jock McAvoy!
SLAKKA is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum