Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
shs101

vCash: 500
Default hiding the rear hand

Looking for tips regarding hiding the rear hand like disguising it before its thrown so its harder to see......reason is I working with a coach and he opened up my eyes a lot telling me certain ways to jab to obscure their vision for the rear hand, rolling to hide the rear cross, etc.......
Coming here to see if anyone has anything like this? Im sure you can also pretty much just think of your own ways to hide the rear hand without asking a coach, that's the interesting thing about doing stuff liek this....
anyone have anything?
shs101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
boxingjim

Default Re: hiding the rear hand

How about just lower your right hand like they do in MMA?
boxingjim is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Good skill to have. To start, you need to stand angled. Point your front shoulder at the target. Think Mayweather, Louis, and Marquez.

You generally need to be comfortable moving to your right to get them to walk into it.

You need to be able to vary the right hand. You should show them the right uppercut high and low, right hook high and low, straight right high and low, overhand right high and low, and feints of all these shots. This is so that when they see you throwing a right, not only do they not know if you're throwing it or just feinting to set up a left, but they also have no idea where the punch is aimed at or the trajectory it'll take. This is similar to a baseball pitcher--their deliveries are all the same initially, and they put the spin on the ball at the end of the throw.

The easiest one to land is the overhand. The scenario is usually them trying to walk you down and you constantly escaping to the right. Then instead of stepping out, take the step, stop, and launch a right over their shoulder.

McGrain did a really good writeup on Joe Louis style. Take note of the "kill zone" he talks about. You should have a set picture in your mind of when to throw, so when they walk into that range at that angle you just launch the punch. Use your footwork to walk them into the killzone. Hopkins teaching Rashad Evans is a good video for this too.

The way I developed this (unintentionally) was 1. Broke my left hand and was in a cast for the better part of 4 months, so I basically worked on the Philly shell, only throwing right hands. Mostly on the double end bag, just footwork, head movement, and right hands. Throwing the right hands in combos of 2-4 punches.

2. Watch videos. I watched Mayweather (particularly the Mosley fight), anything with Toney, Martirosyan sparring JCC Jr., Hopkins teaching Evans, and Joe Louis highlights. The Mayweather fight is the one that got me looking, because I noticed that he is ALWAYS in position to throw his right hand. Always.

3. Practice. The key is position. Firstly, your position in the ring relative to your opponent, secondly your body position. The double end bag is perfect for this because it helps you with range and timing.

4. Try it in sparring. When I healed up I sparred some, and I found out I could usually land the right hand pretty easily. The first thing I heard from my sparring partner (who is much better than me and kicked my ass) was that he couldn't see my right hand.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Good skill to have. To start, you need to stand angled. Point your front shoulder at the target. Think Mayweather, Louis, and Marquez.

You generally need to be comfortable moving to your right to get them to walk into it.

You need to be able to vary the right hand. You should show them the right uppercut high and low, right hook high and low, straight right high and low, overhand right high and low, and feints of all these shots. This is so that when they see you throwing a right, not only do they not know if you're throwing it or just feinting to set up a left, but they also have no idea where the punch is aimed at or the trajectory it'll take. This is similar to a baseball pitcher--their deliveries are all the same initially, and they put the spin on the ball at the end of the throw.

The easiest one to land is the overhand. The scenario is usually them trying to walk you down and you constantly escaping to the right. Then instead of stepping out, take the step, stop, and launch a right over their shoulder.

McGrain did a really good writeup on Joe Louis style. Take note of the "kill zone" he talks about. You should have a set picture in your mind of when to throw, so when they walk into that range at that angle you just launch the punch. Use your footwork to walk them into the killzone. Hopkins teaching Rashad Evans is a good video for this too.

The way I developed this (unintentionally) was 1. Broke my left hand and was in a cast for the better part of 4 months, so I basically worked on the Philly shell, only throwing right hands. Mostly on the double end bag, just footwork, head movement, and right hands. Throwing the right hands in combos of 2-4 punches.

2. Watch videos. I watched Mayweather (particularly the Mosley fight), anything with Toney, Martirosyan sparring JCC Jr., Hopkins teaching Evans, and Joe Louis highlights. The Mayweather fight is the one that got me looking, because I noticed that he is ALWAYS in position to throw his right hand. Always.

3. Practice. The key is position. Firstly, your position in the ring relative to your opponent, secondly your body position. The double end bag is perfect for this because it helps you with range and timing.

4. Try it in sparring. When I healed up I sparred some, and I found out I could usually land the right hand pretty easily. The first thing I heard from my sparring partner (who is much better than me and kicked my ass) was that he couldn't see my right hand.
very nice post!
captain hook is online now  Top
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
shs101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post

Nice! thank you I will start to vary the rear hand more and make it unpredictable
shs101 is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Put it behind your back!....Sorry!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
§weet §cience
Doctor of Pugilism
ESB Full Member

Upperbody movement and rhythm is the best way to accomplish this in my opinion. Pacquiao does an excellent job of it, especially in the DLH fight. I will try to make a thread on it in the general if I can squeeze it between another couple of threads I'm working on.
§weet §cience is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
§weet §cience
Doctor of Pugilism
ESB Full Member

Pacs upper-body movement with weave to the left and right behind his guard serves well to hide his lead left hand, aswell as making him a difficult target upstairs and giving him good leverage and countering oppertunities should DLH lead.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Notice how he'll slip left and right, and then fire off the left when DLH isn't expecting it.

Last edited by §weet §cience; 03-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
§weet §cience
Doctor of Pugilism
ESB Full Member

Bump
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

2 ways

leave the jab out for 1 second longer to block there vision then follow with a straight right/right hook or right upper cut,,you decide which one to use at the time

Faint jab to body with a straight right to head ,,,,remember when ever you use a faint ,,,always faint first to see what reaction they do before using a follow up punch after the faint
123ko is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing