Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #16
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Povetkin vs Solis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaldemb
As of right now Povetkin shows much better offensive ability, sharper shorter punches, better overall technique and punch placement, has better speed and footwork and has shown better concentration over the distance.

If Solis decided to come in shape his defensive ability, which was what made him such a great amateur would return as he fought very well going backwards. However until then he relies on his offense which is exactly the way it was in the amateurs and has never been a real strength of his. Solis would best be served by coming in at 225-230 where he could fight like a larger harder hitting version of Chris Byrd. However in a shoot out his offense is subpar to that of Povetkin's and he would lose.
I think Solis is better defensive than Povetkin, can duck and weave a bit and has good reflexes. And at 230 he would beat Povetkin, i think Solis style is even better suited for the pros than Povetkins.
Grabonator is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #17
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabonator
I think Solis is better defensive than Povetkin, can duck and weave a bit and has good reflexes. And at 230 he would beat Povetkin, i think Solis style is even better suited for the pros than Povetkins.
They are two different styles. Solis fights more like Byrd while Povetkin fights more like Holyfield. The truth is, given amateur scoring, Povetkin's style is horrible for the amateurs as much of his body work and hooks aren't counted and it leaves him open to get hit. Solis is a better defense fighter, but he never ducked and weaved, that is Povetkin. Solis moves back and moves his head and shoulders to try and avoid shots. Both styles are actually well suited to the pros, but Solis' is actually better suited to the amateurs.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaldemb
One Savon got beat by Chagaev, as did Solis. Neither of them either beat Ruslan so by your logic Ruslan should be the best heavy bar none. Don't use age, Ruslan is only a little over a year older than Solis. You obviously have not followed Solis' career as an amateur too closely. He was an exceptional amateur, I don't doubt that, but those about Povetkin existed because of his sheer dominance at super heavyweight. Solis, as good as he was, was not as dominant as Povetkin. You are letting your national pride cloud your judgement. The guys Solis barely beat and lost to, like Timuerziev and Kober, Povetkin dominated.

Well Savon defeated Ruslan aswell in '99, and when did Ruslan defeated Solis ?
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycuban

Well Savon defeated Ruslan aswell in '99, and when did Ruslan defeated Solis ?
Solis has Chagaevs Nr.!! But i think Solis style is a bit like Chagaev isnt it??
Grabonator is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Chagaev beat Solis in 2000. Solis followed that with losses to Enric, Lopez Nunez and actually lost in 2000 to Savon, the story that he stepped aside might be apocryphal. Chagaev beat Savon three times in 1997 by a score of 14-4 in 1998 in 1999 7-2 and he beat Chagaev by 9-1.

To say Solis has Chagaev's number is ridiculous. Chagaev has beat a very high level of opposition and beat Solis in the amateurs so as of right now Chagaev would seem to have Solis number. As I said Solis is best as a defensive boxer with power, his offense has always been and still is a bit spotty. Right now he needs to get his weight down so he can be a good defensive boxer again, until then he is not going to win a comeforward boxing match against Povetkin and Chagaev will score win number two if they fight.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #21
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

I still think that Solis is the best Heaveyweight prospect out there, plus i just did my research and Ruslan only beat him by 1 point different (not making any excuses... a loss is a loss) but that wasent his original weight he was fighting at, I knew about the Savon lost and the Nunez Lost, but i still think Solis can beat both Povetkin and Ruslan, and if he gets in shape again... he is unstopable.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
curmudgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
...but i still think Solis can beat both Povetkin and Ruslan, and if he gets in shape again... he is unstopable.
Solis ducked Povetkin in 2004. He would have be fighting in super-heavy, if he was capable of getting the Gold.

Solis showed nothing of note with Aldo.
curmudgeon is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I still think that Solis is the best Heaveyweight prospect out there, plus i just did my research and Ruslan only beat him by 1 point different (not making any excuses... a loss is a loss) but that wasent his original weight he was fighting at, I knew about the Savon lost and the Nunez Lost, but i still think Solis can beat both Povetkin and Ruslan, and if he gets in shape again... he is unstopable.
They were all fighting at 201, which is his "original" weight. He is a very accomplished amateur but he was not as dominant as Povetkin. As I said the guys he lost to or had very close victories over Povetkin dominated.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum