Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hagler, Duran, Hearns mix....

I can't say that all three weren't good/great boxers. All three had, at least, respectable punching power.

Hearns, while his punches may have stunned a Hagler, they completely toasted a Duran.

Hagler, while he didn't KO Duran, he completely toasted Hearns once a minor cut was called into question.

Duran, got toasted by Hearns, yet was able to take the punch of a possibly heavier hitter in a very close decision loss to Hagler.

I suppose Duran is the guy I'm most interested in. Why was he able to take on a Hagler, yet fail so terribly against a Hearns?
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Default Re: Hagler, Duran, Hearns mix....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
I can't say that all three weren't good/great boxers. All three had, at least, respectable punching power.

Hearns, while his punches may have stunned a Hagler, they completely toasted a Duran.

Hagler, while he didn't KO Duran, he completely toasted Hearns once a minor cut was called into question.

Duran, got toasted by Hearns, yet was able to take the punch of a possibly heavier hitter in a very close decision loss to Hagler.

I suppose Duran is the guy I'm most interested in. Why was he able to take on a Hagler, yet fail so terribly against a Hearns?
Hearns hit harder than Hagler at middleweight. And if you look north you'll see that Hearns could bang up there as well. Andries was a durable and respected light-heavyweight, yet Hearns had him down 5 or 6 times.

I think that Hearns at 154lbs probably hit harder than Hagler did at 160lbs. And I don't mean a fair comparison when looking at the punching power each of them showed in those divisions, I mean "pound for pound" power.

And the strategies Hagler and Hearns employed against Duran were entirley different as well. Its arguable that if Hagler had went out all guns blazing he would have done a similar job on Duran that Hearns done.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Hearns hit harder than Hagler at middleweight. And if you look north you'll see that Hearns could bang up there as well. Andries was a durable and respected light-heavyweight, yet Hearns had him down 5 or 6 times.

I think that Hearns at 154lbs probably hit harder than Hagler did at 160lbs. And I don't mean a fair comparison when looking at the punching power each of them showed in those divisions, I mean "pound for pound" power.

And the strategies Hagler and Hearns employed against Duran were entirley different as well. Its arguable that if Hagler had went out all guns blazing he would have done a similar job on Duran that Hearns done.
Hearns broke his hand on Hagler's head.....where with Duran it was the perfect shot. Kinda like hitting a home run vs hitting one off the end of your bat that reverberates all the way back hands as a stinger.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Hearns hit harder than Hagler at middleweight.
Perhaps, but I hardly see the difference as being all that great. Quite minuscule in fact, if any Hearns punch power advantage exists at all at middleweight. To be quite frank, I don't think Hearns hit harder than Hagler (who had about an 84% KO percentage at middleweight in wins), just my view though.

Duran, my main interest, just looked different in his bouts with the two. I've never really an exacting reason why... but the Duran vs Hearns wasn't the same as the Duran vs Hagler.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
Hearns broke his hand on Hagler's head.....where with Duran it was the perfect shot. Kinda like hitting a home run vs hitting one off the end of your bat that reverberates all the way back hands as a stinger.
Can we keep away from a Hearns defence with this?

I could say Hearns looked OK until Hagler got pissed... but I'm mainly wondering about a Duran with this.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
Yeah, but I awnsered the question at the very bottom of his post over everything else.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Perhaps, but I hardly see the difference as being all that great. Quite minuscule in fact, if any Hearns punch power advantage exists at all at middleweight. To be quite frank, I don't think Hearns hit harder than Hagler (who had about an 84% KO percentage at middleweight in wins), just my view though.

Duran, my main interest, just looked different in his bouts with the two. I've never really an exacting reason why... but the Duran vs Hearns wasn't the same as the Duran vs Hagler.
In terms of actual punching power, Hearns did have the edge over Hagler. Hagler was a better fighter at MW, but he usually broke his opponents down.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, but I awnsered the question at the very bottom of his post over everything else.
But isn't that just an opinion of yours?

You can't state something as fact that never happened, Robbi. I can't even really look at this as an answer to the main question to be honest. Duran looked very different in the two fights.... to say the least!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:

KO percentages can be misleading. Larry Holmes had the longest knockout streak wins in heavyweight history, 9 consecutive, and I'm sure it still stands today. Does that mean that he was among the hardest hitting heavyweights ever? Not at all of course.

Duran was in better shape against Hagler. Rumour has it that he came down from 180lbs with two weeks before stepping into the ring against Hearns. And as I stated previously, the way in which Hagler and Hearns went about their business against Duran was like chalk and cheese.

Hagler showed Duran a tremendous amount of respect until the late rounds, then he began to shift into 5th gear.

The comparison would be easier to make if Hagler had decided to put all his eggs into one basket, ala Hearns, instead of standing off cutely for the vast majority of the fight with Duran.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
In terms of actual punching power, Hearns did have the edge over Hagler.
Prove that, Pea. I'm interested in how you come to that idea.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
But isn't that just an opinion of yours?

You can't state something as fact that never happened, Robbi. I can't even really look at this as an answer to the main question to be honest. Duran looked very different in the two fights.... to say the least!
"I suppose Duran is the guy I'm most interested in. Why was he able to take on a Hagler, yet fail so terribly against a Hearns?". Everything you posted above that seemed to be a yardstick for the question you asked. I have awnsered it fully and gave my opinion. I'm not stating a fact.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
KO percentages can be misleading.
Yeah they can, but when they keep happening over a career it means a little to most.

Quote:
The comparison would be easier to make if Hagler had decided to put all his eggs into one basket, ala Hearns, instead of standing off cutely for the vast majority of the fight with Duran.
So Hagler really can hit hard?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Prove that, Pea. I'm interested in how you come to that idea.
By looking at their one punch KO power. Hearns was better suited to 147 and 154, but showed at even higher weights than MW that he could hold his power, unlike Hagler. Therefore, based on that, and the fact that Hagler was never a one punch KO artist, I would say that in terms of one punch power, Hearns was the edge.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
"I suppose Duran is the guy I'm most interested in. Why was he able to take on a Hagler, yet fail so terribly against a Hearns?". Everything you posted above that seemed to be a yardstick for the question you asked. I have awnsered it fully and gave my opinion. I'm not stating a fact.
No, what you seem to be implying is that Hagler didn't give it his all while Hearns did. Perhaps that is one possible explanation. I think it had more to do with Duran than anything else.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
.So Hagler really can hit hard?
You asked why Duran was able to do well against Hagler and not so good against Hearns. I have tried to cover all areas for the three fighters in question. And the question of power between Hagler and Hearns was also discussed. I used the word comparison and if Hagler was all out aggressive like Hearns was against Duran. He wasn't though, but the point I'm trying to make is if they both fought a similar strategy against Duran then it would be easier to judge their power and capabilities against the same fighter. Duran's physical condition I previously covered, and he obviously wasn't as suited to middleweight, as he was climbing more and more out of his depth.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum