Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
BodyRip05

vCash: 500
Default Boxing Gym in Sydney - current

I'm back in Sydney again, and although its probably been asked previously, I'm interested in your current views about level of training / trainers of boxing gym, within about a 20km radius of the CBD. Eg: PCYC at Woolloomooloo, Sydney Uni, Boxing Works in S/Hills or the new UFC in Alexandria (or any others I may have missed?. I previously training a (a number of years ago) at The Underworld in Melb - and recently been doing some private combat training - but interested in getting back to some sparring / traning with a good trainer. If you have any experience advice, with the above Gyms, I'd be most grateful.

cheers
BodyRip05 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Boxing Gym in Sydney - current

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyRip05 View Post
I'm back in Sydney again, and although its probably been asked previously, I'm interested in your current views about level of training / trainers of boxing gym, within about a 20km radius of the CBD. Eg: PCYC at Woolloomooloo, Sydney Uni, Boxing Works in S/Hills or the new UFC in Alexandria (or any others I may have missed?. I previously training a (a number of years ago) at The Underworld in Melb - and recently been doing some private combat training - but interested in getting back to some sparring / traning with a good trainer. If you have any experience advice, with the above Gyms, I'd be most grateful.

cheers
I would try north Sydney or rockdale pcycs
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
BodyRip05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
I would try north Sydney or rockdale pcycs
thanks mate - I hadn't thought of them...cheers
Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
thanks mate - I hadn't thought of them...cheers
Mark Pitts at norths is a good coach as is George Reno at rockdale
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
woftam1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Igor at Rockdale is good as well
woftam1 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...
vCash: 1000

Quote:

cheers
I would dodge the first 3 if I was you...can't say anything on the fourth since I've never been there- UFC? doesn't sound promising.

My advise is to spend a coupla weeks asking questions of your prospective trainers- something like-

Step 1) Ask did you fight pro...if so, how many fights/years were you fighting. If they had extensive amatuer credentials (50+ bouts or International competitive experience) mabye the pro experience can slide...Lincoln Hudson among a few others springs to mind as examples.

This is critical....as while there's occasionally a good trainer or two someplace in boxing history who have never had a single fight in their life...it's a bit like being taught to drive a car from someone who has never driven.

Theoretically possible...but not to be advised unless you like that 'impact' feeling.

Step 2) Talk to the bloke. If he's a moron, no matter what experience he's had, it'll be no use to you if he cannot express/articulate it to a learner. Some of the most technically savvy fighters cannot tell you how they did what they did, because they just 'did it' with an innate ability. For example, Wilfred Benetiz probably couldn't explain how to open a can of tinned spagetti, but there's no doubt he could fight. Tony Mundine Snr- another example of a phenomanally natural fighter; pretty ordinary trainer.

Step 3) Look at the guys he's trained and talk to them. Often, 'trainers' accrue credit for training fighters they've put through the pads a few times...when their input in the fighter's development is honestly ZILCH.

It's hard to be a fake fighter- too easy to be exposed; but it's very easy to be a fake trainer...and arguably that's worse since trusting, naive fools are putting their health in such charlatan's hands.

Sorry to paint a bad picture (I am an old cynic!), but I think you're best taking the above on board and just relying on your own judgment when you meet potential trainers. Best a luck.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
htmonaro
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I keep driving past a gym on parramatta rd at granville,Does anyone know who is running it??
htmonaro is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmonaro View Post
I keep driving past a gym on parramatta rd at granville,Does anyone know who is running it??
Arnell Baratillo
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
I would dodge the first 3 if I was you...can't say anything on the fourth since I've never been there- UFC? doesn't sound promising.

My advise is to spend a coupla weeks asking questions of your prospective trainers- something like-

Step 1) Ask did you fight pro...if so, how many fights/years were you fighting. If they had extensive amatuer credentials (50+ bouts or International competitive experience) mabye the pro experience can slide...Lincoln Hudson among a few others springs to mind as examples.

This is critical....as while there's occasionally a good trainer or two someplace in boxing history who have never had a single fight in their life...it's a bit like being taught to drive a car from someone who has never driven.

Theoretically possible...but not to be advised unless you like that 'impact' feeling.

Step 2) Talk to the bloke. If he's a moron, no matter what experience he's had, it'll be no use to you if he cannot express/articulate it to a learner. Some of the most technically savvy fighters cannot tell you how they did what they did, because they just 'did it' with an innate ability. For example, Wilfred Benetiz probably couldn't explain how to open a can of tinned spagetti, but there's no doubt he could fight. Tony Mundine Snr- another example of a phenomanally natural fighter; pretty ordinary trainer.

Step 3) Look at the guys he's trained and talk to them. Often, 'trainers' accrue credit for training fighters they've put through the pads a few times...when their input in the fighter's development is honestly ZILCH.

It's hard to be a fake fighter- too easy to be exposed; but it's very easy to be a fake trainer...and arguably that's worse since trusting, naive fools are putting their health in such charlatan's hands.

Sorry to paint a bad picture (I am an old cynic!), but I think you're best taking the above on board and just relying on your own judgment when you meet potential trainers. Best a luck.
Ever heard of Angelo Dundee?
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
BodyRip05

I appreciate the input - thanks Guys. I will provide some feedback once I find a gym / trainer that feels right. It not my style to post anything negative about gym / trainer (as others have alluded it can simply be personal chemistry / training that aligns with individual style, that makes it ork).

thanks again for the responses.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
Ever heard of Angelo Dundee?
Of course I have, which I why I qualified what i wrote with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
....as while there's occasionally a good trainer or two someplace in boxing history who have never had a single fight in their life...
But mabye you should know that Angelo had amatuer fights out of Stillman's in NYC, and is acknowledged by those he worked with as more of a motivational and 'connections' type of trainer...so even a trainer regarded as not having had fights has had fights.
ecto55 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum