Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default do you agree with gsp and that mma shouldn't have rounds?

any merit in this?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
davidwatts is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Default Re: do you agree with gsp and that mma shouldn't have rounds?

as a nick diaz fan..... hell yeah
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

I do fancy that, but it's not mandatory.

Good Idea IMO!
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Well, fights should be in a "superfight" format.

15 minutes of rumble non-stop.

For championship fight, make it 25.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Totally true.

Right now fighters plan around the rounds. If it's close, go for the takedown just before the end of the round to seal the deal sort of strategy which is commendable given the rule set, but alas it makes MMA more of a match, than what it's supposed to emulate... Which we forget sometimes... A FIGHT.

I think it would result in a lot more Hendo vs. Shogun type wars where neither guy has anything left in the tank and both guys have to let it all hang out.

Guys like GSP will dominate because, his game plan doesn't need to change, he can just exhaust his opponents to no end on the ground and maybe eventually start going for submissions.. I would hope..

The other thing that worries me though, is if you understand muscles, it promotes endurance over explosiveness. The format isn't friendly towards the very explosive athletes in a more exponential way the longer the fight goes on compared to having rounds.. So, I can see at least one negative. Maybe this will result in no fat asses in MMA?
Koa is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
any merit in this?

Yeah I see the merit in it, but I find it weird that it's coming from GSP, who I think plays the rounds game as well as anyone.

I fear this may be Georges trying to explain or justify his lack of finishing prowess by whining that the rules are too confining, because he's worried he'll never secure a finish again and knows there's no chance of them actually doing what he's suggesting and changing those rules.

When Georges had Condit rocked by a punch, he didn't even try to follow up, he swooped in for the easy TD - to me that's a points fighter. And I'm not hating on GSP, I think he's amazing and definitely one of the top 3 fighters ever, but in my mind I equate someone wanting no rounds with a fighter who has a bold, tenacious, fearless mentality and a lust for finishes - guys like Hendo and Penn and Anderson and Shogun. It really doesn't make me think of a safety-first elite wrestler who decisions everyone who steps in his path.
Manila is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Thats why we need PRIDE rules back. 10 minute rounds would soon sort that shit out.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila View Post
Yeah I see the merit in it, but I find it weird that it's coming from GSP, who I think plays the rounds game as well as anyone.

I fear this may be Georges trying to explain or justify his lack of finishing prowess by whining that the rules are too confining, because he's worried he'll never secure a finish again and knows there's no chance of them actually doing what he's suggesting and changing those rules.

When Georges had Condit rocked by a punch, he didn't even try to follow up, he swooped in for the easy TD - to me that's a points fighter. And I'm not hating on GSP, I think he's amazing and definitely one of the top 3 fighters ever, but in my mind I equate someone wanting no rounds with a fighter who has a bold, tenacious, fearless mentality and a lust for finishes - guys like Hendo and Penn and Anderson and Shogun. It really doesn't make me think of a safety-first elite wrestler who decisions everyone who steps in his path.
Its the old GSP talking. Remember the hungry one that smashed up Matt Hughes?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
SirGreathamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Its the old GSP talking. Remember the hungry one that smashed up Matt Hughes?
That was quite some time ago.
He hasnt finished anyone in nearly 4 years
SirGreathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
Well, fights should be in a "superfight" format.

15 minutes of rumble non-stop.

For championship fight, make it 25.
Non-championship fight- GSP holds them down for about 14:49 seconds.
Championship fight- GSP holds them down for 24:48 seconds.

All joking aside, the things with rounds is at least if you do have a wrestler that is simply looking for the takedown and hold them there... At least it's only for the rest of the round. The next round the person whom was held down, is looking to land something on the feet and stop the takedown. Granted, it usually doesn't happen and the wrestler seems to grind them out probably 90% of the time, BUT at least it gives you some excitement and anticipation that they will land something big.
Depends on the fights obviously, but if there were a 25 minute fight, I'd guarantee there would be no 25 full minute WARS! The action would be hot, then the fighters are tired, leaning on eachother, laying, etc and then again the action would take place. Maybe a one sided beat down, but I don't think anybody could fight a competitive 25 minutes straight.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreathamza View Post
That was quite some time ago.
He hasnt finished anyone in nearly 4 years
He was out injured for one and a half of it and he's been facing uber durable dudes. Diaz condit etc just don't get stoppes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not good for the viewing public..... imagine boxing the same way
kel is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenal View Post
Non-championship fight- GSP holds them down for about 14:49 seconds.
Championship fight- GSP holds them down for 24:48 seconds.

All joking aside, the things with rounds is at least if you do have a wrestler that is simply looking for the takedown and hold them there... At least it's only for the rest of the round. The next round the person whom was held down, is looking to land something on the feet and stop the takedown. Granted, it usually doesn't happen and the wrestler seems to grind them out probably 90% of the time, BUT at least it gives you some excitement and anticipation that they will land something big.
Depends on the fights obviously, but if there were a 25 minute fight, I'd guarantee there would be no 25 full minute WARS! The action would be hot, then the fighters are tired, leaning on eachother, laying, etc and then again the action would take place. Maybe a one sided beat down, but I don't think anybody could fight a competitive 25 minutes straight.
Yeah a lot of the vale fights etc with long rounds are pretty inactive.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
jonbonez152
EASTSIDEBOXING KING
ESB Jr Member

If thats how they were then he would have gotten demolished by diaz.
jonbonez152 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonez152 View Post
If thats how they were then he would have gotten demolished by diaz.
How so? He said he didn't say he wanted fights with no time limits. He wants to do away with the rounds. Non-championship fights at 15 min. Title fights for 25.

I like this idea. I wish they would do it with no stand-ups or separations. Do away with boxing judges jumping over to do mma. Hire compustrike people. 3 compustike people score the significant strikes, and you just average the score for points. One point per significant strike.

Knock downs are worth 4 points.

Then implement adcc scoring rules for the grappling.

Quote:

Points (Positive Points):

-Each position must be established for 3 seconds or more being out of any danger of submission in order for points to be awarded.

Passing the guard = 3 points
Knee on stomach = 2 points
Mount position = 2 points
Back mount with hooks = 3 points
Takedown (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
Clean Takedown (ends passed the guard) = 4 points
Sweeps (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
Clean Sweep (ends passed the guard) = 4 points

-Sweep is considered when two fighters are facing each other, change the position from bottom to top and establish it for 3 sec. or more.
-Reversals are considered Sweeps as well.
-When changing multiple positions, points will be awarded only for the position that has been established for 3 seconds or more.
-Every sweep has to be done in one continuous motion in order to be awarded with points.
-Points for a sweep will be awarded only if the fighter initiates the sweep, not if he is being attacked by his opponent and he ends up on top.
-When passing the guard going straight to mount or knee on the stomach in less than 3 seconds points will be given only for passing the guard.
I would like to make throws a higher scoring move than regular take downs. Maybe even 6 points. A leg trip is not the same as a suplex, even if you do wind up in a dominant position.

Just add all the points at the end of the fight, and there is your winner. I think this would be awesome. You get scored on production, and production alone. If you are inactive, you are not scoring. There would still be some subjectivity in regards to the strikes, but the grappling would be cut and dry.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum