Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #46
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khan v Kristjansen announced for April 5th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Yes, I was. I agree with you. This is what I would concentrate on if I were Khan. But I'm 26 and Khan is 21...he is more immature and he's set his heart on that record. I don't think anyone can change his mind now...

Also, I was asking a question I didn't know the answer to. I don't know how good Romanov is, or Thaxton. So I asked whether Thaxton + Romanov weren't more difficult for Khan than Kristjansen + Winner of Katsidis v. Casamayor...many here think that the latter combination is harder for Khan, so it makes sense, then, for him to go this route, anyway.

He will not have been in with a real puncher, true. But let's face it...if he goes against a real puncher, and his chin is indeed worse than very good, given his defence, he will get KOed.

All this taken into account, they might as well take him down this route and satisfy his ego with the record. Still, as we both agree, Khan will be seen as a weak Champ, not having faced a big puncher, because a Champion shouldn't really be felled by hard punching good journeymen...and this might just happen to Khan one day...

Thanks for your response Decebal.

Think July 24th is the date Khan needs to beat to better Prince Naz's record.

Its Kristjansen on April 5th so realistically Khan probably only has one fight left.

Situation should also become a little clearer once we know the outcome of Katsidis v Casamayor and whether Juan Diaz is stripped of or decides to vacate the WBO title.
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #47
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Thanks for your response Decebal.

Think July 24th is the date Khan needs to beat to better Prince Naz's record.

Its Kristjansen on April 5th so realistically Khan probably only has one fight left.

Situation should also become a little clearer once we know the outcome of Katsidis v Casamayor and whether Juan Diaz is stripped of or decides to vacate the WBO title.
Always a pleasure, elle!

Do you think Khan would fight another fight in between? Say...end of May? And then THE fight mid July? Or would he go straight into training for the big fight?

(He might squeeze Thaxton in, maybe...or even... Romanov???)
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #48
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Always a pleasure, elle!

Do you think Khan would fight another fight in between? Say...end of May? And then THE fight mid July? Or would he go straight into training for the big fight?

(He might squeeze Thaxton in, maybe...or even... Romanov???)
I think they will try to squeeze another fight in.
They have probably already got an opponent in mind!
I recall ****** saying after St Clair that Khan's next fight was either going to be in America or for the European Title .... all I can say is if Khan is linked with the likes of Thaxton or Romanov again I'll believe it when it happens!
elle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #49
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
So he'll win a WBO title, and an interim one at that, and call himself Britain's youngest champion when he can't even win the British title? What a joke.
Mike, I would class an interim WBO title as much more important than a british title. Think about it, Khan will be in line for a shot at a recognised belt, thats much bigger than fighting for a british title.

Why hang around at domestic when an opening becomes available at world level? OK so a Thaxton fight would be fun for the punters on these shores, but Khan has bigger fish to fry.

& remember Im neutral on this subject.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #50
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think they will try to squeeze another fight in.
They have probably already got an opponent in mind!
I recall ****** saying after St Clair that Khan's next fight was either going to be in America or for the European Title .... all I can say is if Khan is linked with the likes of Thaxton or Romanov again I'll believe it when it happens!
Yeah! We were led to hope for a Romanov fight twice now, and both times in vain. Too much crying wolf...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #51
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah! We were led to hope for a Romanov fight twice now, and both times in vain. Too much crying wolf...

Maybe it will be a case of third time lucky? Will need to see signed contracts though ....

I actually think all the talk of Romanov and Thaxton has backfired from a PR point of view and is part of the reason people are disappointed with Kristjansen as their choice of opponent.

Perhaps we wouldn't be so critical if our expectations hadn't been falsely raised time and time again.
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #52
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I still cant believe people are slagging off Khan for taking a world title eliminator instead of fighting for a british or european title!

Think about it Dec, if you were Khan fan would you be happier if ****** got your boy a shot at a european title, or a WBO world title eliminator? If I was a Khan fan, I would be delighted with ****** for pulling this out of the bag.

Theres a lot of good posters on this thread, but they are letting their hearts rule their heads here, getting angry at Khan for not hanging around at domestic/european level.
Me? I want to see Khan in with the top boys, & this is the best way for it to happen. Not hanging around fighting the Thaxtons of this world. He has already proven hes better than domestic level.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #53
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Maybe it will be a case of third time lucky? Will need to see signed contracts though ....

I actually think all the talk of Romanov and Thaxton has backfired from a PR point of view and is part of the reason people are disappointed with Kristjansen as their choice of opponent.

Perhaps we wouldn't be so critical if our expectations hadn't been falsely raised time and time again.
I won't believe a Romanov fight until I see both of them in the ring, on the night. (He might catch flu at the last moment to be replaced with...some guy)

Yeah...it backfired...but as someone said: it's our fault for complaining about the hype only to buy it ourselves and to complain further he is not living up to the hype...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #54
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I still cant believe people are slagging off Khan for taking a world title eliminator instead of fighting for a british or european title!

Think about it Dec, if you were Khan fan would you be happier if ****** got your boy a shot at a european title, or a WBO world title eliminator? If I was a Khan fan, I would be delighted with ****** for pulling this out of the bag.

Theres a lot of good posters on this thread, but they are letting their hearts rule their heads here, getting angry at Khan for not hanging around at domestic/european level.
Me? I want to see Khan in with the top boys, & this is the best way for it to happen. Not hanging around fighting the Thaxtons of this world. He has already proven hes better than domestic level.
I agree with you! I said so myself! He should get that damned WBO title of his and break that record and then concentrate on the rest of his career.

He is better than domestic level...people are only pissed off he will get a world title without having faced a puncher...that's their main complaint.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #55
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Whats interesting for me is that its not only Khan critics slating this fight - its also posters I consider to be Khan fans.
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #56
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Yep. I know Fishface is to blame as much as (if not more than) Amir Khan for this specific, safety minded career path, but this is becoming tiresome.
Not fighting Thaxton is not doing him any favours at all, and the excuse that he would be a step backwards is ridiculous when you consider who is up next for Khan. If Jon Thaxton posed no threat to Amir Khan, he would have taken his British title by now, and we all know it.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #57
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
I won't believe a Romanov fight until I see both of them in the ring, on the night. (He might catch flu at the last moment to be replaced with...some guy)

Yeah...it backfired...but as someone said: it's our fault for complaining about the hype only to buy it ourselves and to complain further he is not living up to the hype...

About the hype - IF Khan betters Prince Naz' record I suspect the hype surrounding him will reach a whole new level ....
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #58
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I agree with you! I said so myself! He should get that damned WBO title of his and break that record and then concentrate on the rest of his career.

He is better than domestic level...people are only pissed off he will get a world title without having faced a puncher...that's their main complaint.
I know you did Dec my good man, my shots were aimed at the posters who are all wailing & gnashing their teeth cos Khan wont fight Thaxton or Romanov, hardly household names in their own right.

maybe Im a cynic, but I think the guys who are so desperate to see Khan in with big punchers early in his career do so cos they want to see him knocked out...
Im not saying thats the case, but I do have my suspicions!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #59
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
Yep. I know Fishface is to blame as much as (if not more than) Amir Khan for this specific, safety minded career path, but this is becoming tiresome.
Not fighting Thaxton is not doing him any favours at all, and the excuse that he would be a step backwards is ridiculous when you consider who is up next for Khan. If Jon Thaxton posed no threat to Amir Khan, he would have taken his British title by now, and we all know it.
Yeah...maybe...there's no denying he's been kept away from punchers...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #60
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
About the hype - IF Khan betters Prince Naz' record I suspect the hype surrounding him will reach a whole new level ....
For sure! Good for British boxing...until Khan crashes out a la Ricky!
Decebal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum