Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Genaro G
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960
Default What does Floyd Sr. bring to the table?

Sr. is telling Floyd that he wants him to fight smarter, get hit less. Does that mean Floyd will fight more off the backfoot? We're used to seeing Floyd come forward and being very aggressive vs a southpaw. Will Floyd Sr's game-plan backfire or will it bring the best out of Floyd. And will Floyd follow his fathers instructions if things are not going according to plan?

Mayweather says he wants to give the fans excitement. He said he'll go to-to-toe with Robert. But he also says hes going to listen to his father and stop getting hit as much. So which one is it? Slick and defensive or toe-to-toe?
Genaro G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Genaro G
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What does Floyd Sr. bring to the table?

Also Floyd isnt training non-stop like when he was younger. His dad has been tapering him down so Floyd doesnt burn himself out. Will this help or hurt Floyd? Will it affect his stamina?
Genaro G is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Ripper11
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1948

I've been puzzled by this myself. Against Guerrero, you'd think Floyd would be more aggressive, pressure Guerrero and let his hands go especially to the body.

But Floyd Sr wants lil Floyd to move more and box and Jr brought him in for the exact purpose. This would make sense for a Canelo fight, but idk about Guerrero
Ripper11 is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Hes got the offensive minded fighter roger, an the defensive fighter floyd sr. Hes sharpening up with both advice
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Floyd will win Genaro G will have to admit he was wrong then Genaro G will cry
PrinceN is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Genaro G
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper11 View Post
I've been puzzled by this myself. Against Guerrero, you'd think Floyd would be more aggressive, pressure Guerrero and let his hands go especially to the body.

But Floyd Sr wants lil Floyd to move more and box and Jr brought him in for the exact purpose. This would make sense for a Canelo fight, but idk about Guerrero
Imo, fighting from the outside and playing counter-puncher isnt the best thing to do vs a tall, awkward and rangy southpaw like Guerrero. Floyd Sr. said that lil Floyd is gonna be 'dancing' and moving in there tomorrow night. I dont see Robert getting caught with the check left hook cuz he can get alot of reach with that jab to the body and the extension he gets with the straight left hand is pretty crazy. But Floyd has been sharpening up the right hand left hook combo. Maybe will see him try to back up, draw Guerrero in and pot shot with the right like he did with Hatton. But i dont think Guerrero will fall for that. Robert wont fight emotional and wild like Hatton, no way.

Im sticking to my belief that Floyd will look his best coming forward, fighting at close quarters and looking his best on the inside. Tricky part will be closing the gap to get inside and keep Guerrero there. Robert is kinda slippery and can circle and pivot out of harms way pretty well. I dont see Floyd sticking to this defensive game-plan that Sr. is implementing.
Genaro G is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Dipset
Dipset4Ever
ESB Addict

vCash: 639

SNR is no joke....

He has the IQ...
Dipset is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
timeout
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 677

crack pipe.
timeout is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
DonnieB
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 125

Despite floyd sr and floyd jrs turbulent relationship ... Jr will always hold is fathers word closer to his heart then even his own word. Floyd may disrespect his dad but believe me he knows who the boss is.

If floyd didn't care so much as to what his father thought or said he wouldn't have been the fighter that he is today. His fathers word or bad words against him have hurt him more than any punch that has connected against his jaw.
DonnieB is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
markq
Champion
East Side Guru

At this point nothing. Floyd Jr is an old dog and he's not going to learn any tricks he doesn't know from his father. Roger is noticeably slowing down. Floyd likes to keep his training in family. Not sure why doesn't go with Jeff though---less drama and I believe to be the better trainer of the three.
markq is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Rexrapper 1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 499

Floyd is going to be moving in this fight from all the interviews I have seen. I don't know if that will be the best gameplan because Floyd is used to coming forward. That is probably why he was getting clipped in sparring because he was fighting southpaws in a way he normally doesn't.
Rexrapper 1 is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
icebergisonfire
Floyd F*ckin Mayweather!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrapper 1 View Post
Floyd is going to be moving in this fight from all the interviews I have seen. I don't know if that will be the best gameplan because Floyd is used to coming forward. That is probably why he was getting clipped in sparring because he was fighting southpaws in a way he normally doesn't.
Interesting. I think Floyd coming out to high guard is going to happen at the beginning. Gauge Robert, then begin to operate. He's gotten out of the chute fast the past few fights. I don't see him allowing Robert to establish a rhythm. Floyd has the reach advantage in this fight. I'm thinking round 3, we see Floyd begin the systematic breakdown of Robert.
icebergisonfire is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
TheVrominator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Don't forget his rhymes, besides having a ton of boxing game Floyd Sr's a wordsmith to boot........
TheVrominator is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper11 View Post

its actually a good strategy. Floyd needs to control the range and he will pick RG apart from the outside. RG likes to hold and hit a lot and even when he is tied up he still slaps at his opponents head and back and Floyd don't need to be close until he has to be. Staying on the outside will make Robert have to out think Floyd more and that is Floyd's game.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjotatp4p View Post
its actually a good strategy. Floyd needs to control the range and he will pick RG apart from the outside. RG likes to hold and hit a lot and even when he is tied up he still slaps at his opponents head and back and Floyd don't need to be close until he has to be. Staying on the outside will make Robert have to out think Floyd more and that is Floyd's game.
This.

Some of these mongs must not watch tape. Robert gets confused when his opponents dictate range and distance. He doesn't know how to deal with it, other than throwing inaccurate punches in retaliation. From Salido and Yordan, to spots in the Aydin fight. When the opponents move in and out on Guerrero, he looks lost.
thawk888 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum