Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509
Default Re: Hagler's best and worst performances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill poster
Hagler peaked around 81-82 but he should have shone in his title shot against Vito and Duran nearly managed the upset. Should never have boxed Leonard for the first 4 rds and I cannot argue against that decision, I had Leonard in front by 1. Best performances were Sibson and Hearns and some of his early fights were classics
I have not seen all of his fights, but ones that impressed me were the one with Sibson and the second Mustafa Hamsho fight.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Lowe
Minter was his best fight, he looked good in both Hamsho fights also.

Worst fight was the Leonard fight, he got old overnight. There were signs that he was slipping in the Mugabi fight. Richie Sandoval went to watch Hagler in training for the Leonard fight an ask "what's wrong with Marvin"?
Damn shame.
Thanks Curtis. I've been saying the same thing after witnessing for myself the terrible deterioration of Hagler in a sparring session late March 87. For another fighter to make that remark openly is proof postive of everything I've said - and coincides perfectly with my own observation. Now everyone here will have no choice but to acknowledge everything I mentioned the last three years is as John Thomas would call it "spot on".

The Weaver triplets were used to test his reflexes for a few rounds and I concluded the same thing as Richie-that this is not how a fighter should react to his sparring partners-it was pathetic seeing Hagler take ream after ream of flurries and being made a fool of-- by his sparring partners which is why I say he was shot going into the Leonard fight.

The problem is that leonard fans don't like it-they hate it when I bring it up because it takes away from the accomplishment. And they want to say "Leonard employed the right style to beat Marvin-all other fighters employed the wrong tactics" when in fact Leonard was the beneficiary of facing a shot fighter. Leonard fans are the biggest liars on the face of the planet and will say anything to make their man look good, especially lie.

The worst part of the session came from the first two men he sparred with. He did a little better with his last partner but there was nothing positive to speak of coming away from this session.

I'm glad that a professional boxer, world champion spoke up this way. His word carries a lot of clout and gives me credibility also. Anyone who was there to see it has to concluded marvin was shot, tired, inept punching bag while still champion (or 1/3 champion) and had no business in the ring.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot16
I have not seen all of his fights, but ones that impressed me were the one with Sibson and the second Mustafa Hamsho fight.
The performance (Hamsho 2) was tremendous which I had the pleasure of watching live at MSG.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Thanks Curtis. I've been saying the same thing after witnessing for myself the terrible deterioration of Hagler in a sparring session late March 87. For another fighter to make that remark openly is proof postive of everything I've said - and coincides perfectly with my own observation. Now everyone here will have no choice but to acknowledge everything I mentioned the last three years is as John Thomas would call it "spot on".

The Weaver triplets were used to test his reflexes for a few rounds and I concluded the same thing as Richie-that this is not how a fighter should react to his sparring partners-it was pathetic seeing Hagler take ream after ream of flurries and being made a fool of-- by his sparring partners which is why I say he was shot going into the Leonard fight.

The problem is that leonard fans don't like it-they hate it when I bring it up because it takes away from the accomplishment. And they want to say "Leonard employed the right style to beat Marvin-all other fighters employed the wrong tactics" when in fact Leonard was the beneficiary of facing a shot fighter. Leonard fans are the biggest liars on the face of the planet and will say anything to make their man look good, especially lie.

The worst part of the session came from the first two men he sparred with. He did a little better with his last partner but there was nothing positive to speak of coming away from this session.

I'm glad that a professional boxer, world champion spoke up this way. His word carries a lot of clout and gives me credibility also. Anyone who was there to see it has to concluded marvin was shot, tired, inept punching bag while still champion (or 1/3 champion) and had no business in the ring.
A very nice way of saying Leonard beat Hagler without actually saying it in those terms. Well done Rooster.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
The performance (Hamsho 2) was tremendous which I had the pleasure of watching live at MSG.

I also liked his fight with Roldan, but it seemed he only took control once Roldan's eye began bothering him, but it was an enjoyable fight nonetheless.

Yeah i had just watched the 2nd Hamsho fight yesterday, while i had watched the first one about a year or 2 ago.
So how was it watching the fight live mate? It would have been awesome, i havnt seen a big fight live yet.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #22
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I like his performance against Hamani. Short but sweet, effortless but flawless.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I like his performance against Hamani. Short but sweet, effortless but flawless.
Is that the one where Hamani got sent through the ropes?
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot16
Is that the one where Hamani got sent through the ropes?
Yep.

BORKED
Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Yep.

BORKED
Yeah that was another good performance, yeah i wasnt sure if i was thinking of the right fight, but its the same one.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #26
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

I thought that the Hamani fight was a devestating finish but Hagler was waiting on him too long. The Scypion fight was his best performance in my estimation.

Worst is easily Leonard. Second worst is Mugabi. Hagler was a complex boxer-puncher and that endurance contest with Mugabi was beneath him... it would have been unnecessary 5 years previously.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #27
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
I thought that the Hamani fight was a devestating finish but Hagler was waiting on him too long. The Scypion fight was his best performance in my estimation.

Worst is easily Leonard. Second worst is Mugabi. Hagler was a complex boxer-puncher and that endurance contest with Mugabi was beneath him... it would have been unnecessary 5 years previously.
Its a trick question, as straight forward as it seems. Is it strictly performance when asking "what was a fighters best performance" or does it need to be packaged with the quality of opponent when making a decision? I suppose pure performance in some instances when a certain individual makes his choice and other times a bit of both.

Someone could easily come up with Hagler's win over Caveman Lee, and who can argue with that. He destroyed him inside a round with sheer brute strength, accuracy, and power.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hagler also had a lot of respect for Duran, right?

Obviously has to be factored in there, I think.
Duran was his idol. He didn't really want to hurt him.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #29
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
I thought that the Hamani fight was a devestating finish but Hagler was waiting on him too long.
He took him out in the 2nd round.....

He boxed very well, felt him out in the first round, and looked to time him in the 2nd, and the finish was perfect. The second he was hurt he was out of there.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #30
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Duran was his idol. He didn't really want to hurt him.
Hagler had too much self pride for that. And the reason the fight developed the way it did was because of Duran's smart strategy, which fooled everyone. Hagler and the Petronelli's expected Duran to come out aggressive, and as we know, he didn't.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum