Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241
Default Skelton Vs Samil Sam for Euro?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Skelton should beat the limited Samil Sam.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
mad-23
tyson20

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Skelton Vs Samil Sam for Euro?

skeleton should know hes got some experence but sam now pullover look at williams if fight in germany sam
mad-23 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Steve Fox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What on Earth has Skelton done in order to get all these title shots?
Steve Fox is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
TomPodmore
Journeyman

Sam might not be the most body-beautiful fighter in the world but he is far from limited, as Max has suggested. He may also be a bit sluggish and slow at times, but has a cast-iron chin and is a former World Amateur champion. His defeats have only come against class men - and i didn't think he deserved to lose against Luan Krasniqi.

You don’t win a World Amateur title and a European pro title if you are limited. If Sam is limited, what does that make Skelton… primitive?
TomPodmore is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPodmore
Sam might not be the most body-beautiful fighter in the world but he is far from limited, as Max has suggested. He may also be a bit sluggish and slow at times, but has a cast-iron chin and is a former World Amateur champion. His defeats have only come against class men - and i didn't think he deserved to lose against Luan Krasniqi.

You don’t win a World Amateur title and a European pro title if you are limited. If Sam is limited, what does that make Skelton… primitive?
Samil Sam fat and lazy but a lovely stand up boxer. No way is he limited.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox
Winning the British and Commonweatlh Is good enough to be ranked for an EBU shot and he gave a good effort against Chagaev.

He's done more than Froch who's just shouted his mouth off while only sparking domestic opposition.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Fishface promised him.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Steve Fox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Winning the British and Commonweatlh Is good enough to be ranked for an EBU shot and he gave a good effort against Chagaev.

He's done more than Froch who's just shouted his mouth off while only sparking domestic opposition.
Don't be so patronising - Nice effort Matt, well done - never mind he was never in the fight and nigh on unwatchable.
Steve Fox is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
TomPodmore
Journeyman

Quote:

You have contradicted yourself. You say that Skelton has won the British and Commonwealth title, thus qualifying for a European title shot.

Well, Froch has won the British (outright) and Commonwealth belts, beaten a fringe world-class fighter in Sergey Tatevosyan, who was only one fight removed from going the full 12 for the IBF belt and two fights removed from beating an ex-European champion, and has excited in doing so.

OK, so Robin Reid had seen better days, but Robin had still seen off decent Jesse Brinkley after a long lay-off to show he wasn’t completely through. Froch did him in good style and has also disposed of the well-schooled Tony Dodson, fringe world-class Brian Magee and tough-as-nails Charles Adamu.

Tatevosyan, Adamu and Brian Magee are all above domestic class; so how you can claim Froch hasn’t beaten anyone worthwhile is a mystery. What are you going to say when Froch knocks Denis Inkin out? That Inkin wasn’t any good?

You don’t like Froch – fair enough. But at least give him some credit. I don’t particularly like Kelly Pavlik, but I do him give him his dues. Oh, I’m not trying to compare Froch and Pavlik.

So, with that in mind, where are Matt Skelton’s results over better-than-domestic operators, eh? Bob Mirovic? Fabio Moli? Neither of the two mentioned would win the British title in this country – just fighters with decent-ish records to fool the public. I thought Skelton lost both fights with Danny Williams, even when Danny was overweight in the second one, and I had him drawing the rematch with Sprott.

A brave effort against Ruslan Chagaev doesn’t justify a European title shot for me.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm actually fairly looking forward to this one, it'll be as far from the sweet science as you can get but both guys won't take a backwards step and should be thumping the hell out of each other. From that point of view it could be enjoyable.

I haven't seen SSS in action since the McCall loss, so I don't know what he's currently like.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD

I haven't seen SSS in action since the McCall loss, so I don't know what he's currently like.
Same old Sam, slow plodder with super chin and fat belly. He must have one of the biggest belly in the HW division.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Then if Matt can dust off some of the Sugar Ray Skelton act from the second Williams fight...
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Quote:
Don't be so patronising - Nice effort Matt, well done - never mind he was never in the fight and nigh on unwatchable.
He was competitive Skelton wasn't mouthing off about how good he was and not proving It like Froch does. At least Skelton gave It a go and didn't turn It down like Froch turning down Bute and Instead beating on his victim.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
TomPodmore
Journeyman

Quote:
He was competitive Skelton wasn't mouthing off about how good he was and not proving It like Froch does. At least Skelton gave It a go and didn't turn It down like Froch turning down Bute and Instead beating on his victim.
I don’t know where you have heard that from, but I can assure you Carl has never turned down a fight with Lucien Bute. I asked Carl if he had a few months back and he said that, as far as he is aware of, he has never been contacted by Bute’s team.

It was just Bute trying to get himself a bit of publicity – trying to make out that he is an avoided fighter, one that should be feared. Besides, why would Froch want to go after a paper champion?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPodmore
You have contradicted yourself. You say that Skelton has won the British and Commonwealth title, thus qualifying for a European title shot.

Well, Froch has won the British (outright) and Commonwealth belts, beaten a fringe world-class fighter in Sergey Tatevosyan, who was only one fight removed from going the full 12 for the IBF belt and two fights removed from beating an ex-European champion, and has excited in doing so.

OK, so Robin Reid had seen better days, but Robin had still seen off decent Jesse Brinkley after a long lay-off to show he wasn’t completely through. Froch did him in good style and has also disposed of the well-schooled Tony Dodson, fringe world-class Brian Magee and tough-as-nails Charles Adamu.

Tatevosyan, Adamu and Brian Magee are all above domestic class; so how you can claim Froch hasn’t beaten anyone worthwhile is a mystery. What are you going to say when Froch knocks Denis Inkin out? That Inkin wasn’t any good?

You don’t like Froch – fair enough. But at least give him some credit. I don’t particularly like Kelly Pavlik, but I do him give him his dues. Oh, I’m not trying to compare Froch and Pavlik.

So, with that in mind, where are Matt Skelton’s results over better-than-domestic operators, eh? Bob Mirovic? Fabio Moli? Neither of the two mentioned would win the British title in this country – just fighters with decent-ish records to fool the public. I thought Skelton lost both fights with Danny Williams, even when Danny was overweight in the second one, and I had him drawing the rematch with Sprott.

A brave effort against Ruslan Chagaev doesn’t justify a European title shot for me.
I didn't say Skelton derserved his WBA shot but he gave It a good go and doesn't mouth off about being ducked and then doesn't back up his mouth like Froch does.

Froch thought as soon as he Ko'ed Hague he could call out Calzaghe, Calzaghe would bust him up so bad he would have to be pulled out!

The Tatesvosyan fight was handpicked when Sergei just came off a one sided beating to Bute less than 2 months earlier.

No way Is Magee above domestic level, he struggles at domestic level with Oakey's workrate and bullied by the smaller man. Tatevosyan was a competitive euro journyman kind of like Sprott.

Winning the Brit and Commonwealth should qualify enough to try winning the Euro as well, Froch for winning them both deserves a Euro title but he's done the cherry picking way to his world eliminator. When your the top domestic dog, then why not get a euro shot and try to win It?

Munroe hasn't won a british title and suprsingly, no one is talking about what he done to get It.

Froch sturggled with Reids timed right hands, he needs to not think he's quick and slick like a Roy Jones or Ali and keep his hands up properly. I give him his dues on not being the typical McCracken style fighter though, he's different from the rest of them.

If Froch knocks Inkin out then cool, he deserves his world shot but he better not take too many right hands, Reid's were wobbling him around.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum