Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: WBO commissions rating are definitely on crack !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Yeah it's like when theres a big title fight & some shitty IBA belt gets added as well. Thats what Pavlik probably thinks has happened with the WBO.
Raashid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

belts are meaningless unless you after record breaking ala khan or claiming you are 5 weight champions like mayweather (he never unified in any i think)

to be fair i think khan has said he wont be considered the man until he beats juan diaz
stake501 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #18
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stake501
belts are meaningless unless you after record breaking ala khan or claiming you are 5 weight champions like mayweather (he never unified in any i think)

to be fair i think khan has said he wont be considered the man until he beats juan diaz
If Khan wins the WBO it won't count because it's not a recognised title. Baldomir did beat the champ in Judah who held all three proper belts but because he only paid the sanctioning fee for the WBC he didn't actually collect all the belts. Mayweather then beat him so I think it's fair to say he beat the unified champ.

Floyd probably would have unified at 135 had Dorin & Spadafora not fought to a draw in their WBA/IBF unification.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Oh dear, not the usual WBO bashing going on again is it from people living in the past?
get over it folks, the WBO belt is classed as one of the 'big 4' by HBO, end of story.
Its recognised everywhere in the world as legit title apart from some stuffy brits who frequent this forum.
Get over yourselves, next you will be telling me that the IBF title is a 'bauble' cos it came after the WBC & WBA.

Its the 21st century, & still we have brits arguing that a title proudly held by many great fighters isnt legit... cos its not as old as the WBC

Move with the times people, thats what I preach.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #20
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKITAZ
They have Michael Jennings at welterweight ranked above Williams, Berto, Clottey, Collazo ..

what has he done to deserve this ???

I know its a similar scenario in most weight classes i.e khans but this Jennings ranking has to be the worst !!
look at all the other rankings.

they will always have these funny mixtures of there intercontinental champion above other top elite fighters
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #21
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Oh dear, not the usual WBO bashing going on again is it from people living in the past?
get over it folks, the WBO belt is classed as one of the 'big 4' by HBO, end of story.
Its recognised everywhere in the world as legit title apart from some stuffy brits who frequent this forum.
Get over yourselves, next you will be telling me that the IBF title is a 'bauble' cos it came after the WBC & WBA.

Its the 21st century, & still we have brits arguing that a title proudly held by many great fighters isnt legit... cos its not as old as the WBC

HBO recognise it as the "WBO Title" which is not the same as one of the big three. This is why the following HBO fights for the WBC, WBA & IBF were announced as for the undisputed title: Lewis-Holyfield, Hopkins-Trinidad, Mosley-Wright and Spinks-Mayorga.

Last edited by OLD FOGEY; 02-22-2007 at 04:33 PM.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
HBO recognise it as the "WBO Title" which is not the same as one of the big three. This is why the following HBO fights for the WBC, WBA & IBF were announced as for the undisputed title: Lewis-Holyfield, Hopkins-Trinidad, Mosley-Wright and Spinks-Mayorga.
Did you notice how Pavlik was billed as the WBC champion by the American network with no mention of the WBO? What I don't understand is why so many people want to recognise it. Surely 3 belts is enough.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

And when DLH is announced it's "fomer WBO super-featherweight champion, former lightweight world champion, former light-welterweight world champion, former welterweight world champion, former super-welterweight world champion and former WBO middleweight champion"
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Did you notice how Pavlik was billed as the WBC champion by the American network with no mention of the WBO? What I don't understand is why so many people want to recognise it. Surely 3 belts is enough.
i don't want to recognise it. but it is now as legit and recognised as the other three.

if it wasn't recognised, the wbc / ibf / wba would still rank the wbo champs, like they do with holders of the ibo for example.

and if the wbo wasn't recognised, wlad - sultan wouldn't be billed as a unification fight
rooq is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #25
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
i don't want to recognise it. but it is now as legit and recognised as the other three.

if it wasn't recognised, the wbc / ibf / wba would still rank the wbo champs, like they do with holders of the ibo for example.

and if the wbo wasn't recognised, wlad - sultan wouldn't be billed as a unification fight
The hall of fame, The Ring & much of the media in other countries still don't recgonise it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #26
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

It's not legit.......but neither are the other 3 .

They're all bullshit .

It's kind of like the old days when fighters had a 'claim' to being World champion , except nowdays that 'claim' comes with a shiny bit of metal around the waist .

David Haye is the Cruiserweight champion of the World
Joe Calzaghe is the Super-Middleweight
Pavlik is the Middleweight
Mayweather is the Welterweight
Hatton is the Light-Welterweight

Those are 5 men with undisputed(in truth) claims to their titles .

Then you have cases like Wlad at heavyweight , everyone has agreed he has the strongest claim but that he should eliminate a few others with a claim(like he should on Saturday) before people are willing to accept him as the real champion .

You've the Erdei/Hopkins situation
Casamayor/Juan Diaz

In these cases they have stronger claims than the rest in their division(for different reasons) but it's not clear among the two who is the real champion . Yes although Hopkins has become recognized in America , Erdei is the man who beat the man and is disregarded because he fights crap opponent after crap opponent and hidden away in Germany .

The point I'm trying to make is that these belts in truth mean nothing , okay you'll probably earn more money but in reality your not a champion......merely another contender .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #27
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears

They're all bullshit .

It's kind of like the old days when fighters had a 'claim' to being World champion , except nowdays that 'claim' comes with a shiny bit of metal around the waist .

Then you have cases like Wlad at heavyweight , everyone has agreed he has the strongest claim but that he should eliminate a few others with a claim(like he should on Saturday) before people are willing to accept him as the real champion .

Casamayor/Juan Diaz

In these cases they have stronger claims than the rest in their division(for different reasons) but it's not clear among the two who is the real champion . Yes although Hopkins has become recognized in America , Erdei is the man who beat the man and is disregarded because he fights crap opponent after crap opponent and hidden away in Germany .

The point I'm trying to make is that these belts in truth mean nothing , okay you'll probably earn more money but in reality your not a champion......merely another contender .
I agree with you but the reality is the alphabets are here to stay & a good old WBC/WBA/IBF unification usually sorts out the real champion. It's a lot cleaner if the real champ unifies the 3 belts & makes a few years worth of defences. Division hopping is harming our sport just as much as the alphabets. As long the WBO are a Frank ****** title they won't be recognised &, like I said earlier, does it really matter? Surely three belts is enough.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #28
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears

They're all bullshit .

Casamayor/Juan Diaz

What people don't seem to understand concerning Wlad at heavyweight is that there's a difference between being the best in the division and being the champion. To be the undisputed champion he has to unify the WBC, WBA and IBF titles like Lewis did. He could probably fight the Ring's second rated guy and win their title but what is The Ring title really? It's just like a 4th alphabet title, or 5th if you cound the WBO, or 6th if you count the IBO...
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #29
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Sadly it has now been accepted but har far do you go. Will the WBU be accepted after a few years, same with the IBA, IBO, IBC, WBF etc etc. Too many of these shitty straps out there.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Sadly it has now been accepted but har far do you go. Will the WBU be accepted after a few years, same with the IBA, IBO, IBC, WBF etc etc. Too many of these shitty straps out there.
Actually it hasn't really been accepted outside of the UK.

If I accepted all the WBO fans' arguments I'd also have to count the IBO as a legit world title.
mike464 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum