Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
joe33

vCash:
Default Lets talk Donovan Ruddock

Been watching earlier his two tyson fights,and damn he was really close in both,the first was stopped way to early,he hurt a really good tyson both times,also watched the morrison fight,and for me he just got sloppy,he had morrison under huge pressure,sadly for him he forgot that morrison had a brutal punch on him,and got caught badly.

Ok lewis as he often did destroyed him,but lewis had a knack of taking out so called danger men earlyish (golota,morrison,botha),so dont think that can be held against him,just one of those things that happens in boxing.

He was a big strong man,and carried lots of power,and could take a fair whack,so id like the experts on here to fill me in on this nearly man,where would you place him on the heavyweight list,and say he had beating tyson once or both times(he could of) and not got sloppy against morrison and won that one to.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Lets talk Donovan Ruddock

Him icing Dokes was chilling. One punch KO on someone who was rarely ever taken out, especially like that.

One of my personal favorites.

Anyway, Ruddock had an amazing ability to get off the mat. He was hit with some disgusting shots and he almost always got up.

Was he ever knocked out cold?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Muchmoore

vCash:

Ruddock is not close to being an ATG. He's probably top 60-70 all time, but he would beat a lot of fighters ranked above him when he was at his best.

His recuperative abilites were unmatched, he had lethal power, and his skills and speed weren't shabby. He was an underachiever.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Woddy

vCash:

Ruddock was a good fighter, but one has to take his accomplishments with a grain of sult.

In 1989, Razor grabbed one of his biggest career wins over former champion James "Bonecrusher" Smith. Smith had some name recognition, fair enough, but was 36 years old and had not won a fight since 1986. He showed up a portly 20 Lbs over his normal weight, and was clearly out of shape. So what? you might ask. Well, despite his washed up state he managed to floor Ruddock, nearly leading to a second round knockout. Ruddock would have similar performances against a number of washed up fighters over the next few years.

Donoven Ruddock was a good fighter, but simply surviving the distance with a jaded Tyson, and beating a number of washed up 80's fighters, wasn't enough to impress me that he was an all time great contender on the level of say, someone like Jerry Quarry. He was simply a big man with a strong left hook, who came around fighting the right men at the right time....
Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I wouldn't call what Ruddock had a "hook".
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

i luved ruddock..............especially after the dokes ko..........i hone4stly thought he would knock tyson out......I THINK AFTER THE LEWIS KO HE HAD CONFIDENCE PROBLEMS......AGAINST MORRISON HE CAME IN OVERWEIGHT/AND A 15 MONTH LAYOFF.........IN HIS PRIME MORRISON WOULD GET KNOCKED OUT.....RUDDOCK WAS SO SLOW AGAINST MORRISON........I THINK MURAD MUHAMMAD PUT RAZOR IN TOO MANY TOUGH FIGHTS.
anut is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ruddock was one of the toughest fighters that many heavyweights
avoided. He should have used his jab a whole lot more in his career. His nickname "razor" was given to him early in his career because his jab was supposedly razor sharp and the best since Ali and Holmes at the time. If he found his jab and used it more against Tyson and Lewis he might have faired better, especially in the first Tyson fight, although stopped prematurely by Richard Steele. Ruddock was a very frustating fighter to watch because too many times I saw him try to load up his left hook/uppercut instead of setting it up with his jab. He also had a very dangerous right hand which he must have left in the dressing room before many fights because I kept asking myself watching him, why isn't Ruddock boxing more? Floyd Patterson started to get him punching in combinations and for a while I thought this partnership would be good for him. Unfortunately Ruddock had too many distractions with management and changing trainers which negated his potential. He could have been an ATG if he had defeated Lewis and Morrison, and beat Tyson in either of the fights he had with him.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I wouldn't call what Ruddock had a "hook".
It was the 'hookercut'.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Ruddock called it "The Smash".

He used to actually be a decent stick 'n' mover type, with a quick hard jab, before he fell in love with swinging big haymakers.

Plus points were his frankly unsettling recuperative powers, his big power, and he could get some really awkward angles on punches.

Minus points were that he was guilty of being too lackadaisical and inactive at times, and as said kinda fell in love with his power and didn't work up to it.

Ruddock-Holyfield in '92 would've been fun fun fun.

For a guy without a single title shot to his name, he deserves to be rated better than that. Against certain types of opponents he could look like a destroyer.

He lost to Tyson because Mike was busier and could take Razor's shots. He lost to Lewis because he just got caught cold with one accurate punch. And he lost to Morrison because of a lapse in concentration while trying to finish an opponent and a possible premature stoppage (I say possible because there was a recent boxing death at the time which I think affected Lipton's decision).
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Morrison beat him down a few times, but Lennox kayo'd him.. good style.. 1992..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
crippet
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
He lost to Lewis because he just got caught cold with one accurate punch.
One accurate punch??? That is absurd!!

Lewis knocked him down twice in the first round

Ruddock had time to recupperate between rounds and Lennox KO'd him in the second. Not really the work of one accurate punch...
crippet is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

DAmn good fighter who sucess was in partial due to his timing.Page gave him a good fight as a faded figher, would have loved to have seen Razor take on a prime, younger version.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1040

I am sure I read somewhere that George Chuvalo had a managers position with Ruddock at one time.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

the reputation of ruddock is built in 2 fights... 2 fights against a post douglas version of tyson. ruddock got destroyed by lewis , by morrison... great? you are crazy
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

The left hook he got hit with by Tommy was monstrous, how he got up again I don't know.

He was somewhat skilled until he fell in love with his power and started relying on just his power.
His left hook/uppercut hybrid was cool
The smash
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dyna is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum