Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
MonagFam
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Mike Tyson - James "Quick" Tills -- Your Rememberances/scorecards, etc.

Let me preface this by saying that I was totally into the Tyson-Mythos before I saw a Tyson fight "live" on television. For me, it was a lot of Sports Illustrated articles, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and and tape we got (probably because of SI) called Mike Tyson's Greatest Hits, prior to that first "live" bout (vs Bruno I). As a result, the greatness of Tyson was even more magnified in my mind. For example, there were only a few times I ever saw him (or, more likely, the commentators told me) "rocked" (vs Tucker in the first round, Bonecrusher Smith in the 12th, and Bruno I in the first) prior to the Douglas fight.

Fastforward to a few years ago when I got a hold of most of his fights on DVD. Imagine my surprise when I watched the James "Quick" Tillis fight, where the young Tyson LOST round....even after his illusion was shattered by Douglas and others, I couldn't believe it. The Greatest Hit's tape showed the knockdown, and then the too exchanging at the endo f the 10th -- only refering to Tillis and others as a "tougher breed of figher."

Whew..that's a lot of pre-stuff to get to the question. But for those that remember at the time, have watched since, etc. what were your thoughts or scorecards? I know I was so shocked I may have even given Tillis more than he earned, but the two judges who scored it (by round) 6-4, might have been more up my alley.
MonagFam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Mike Tyson - James "Quick" Tills -- Your Rememberances/scorecards, etc.

Tillis won a few rounds, lost the fight. I don't put much into it at all. Every up and comer has fights like that. That's what Tyson was at the time of the fight, an up and comer.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Default Re: Mike Tyson - James "Quick" Tills -- Your Rememberances/scorecards, etc.

Every fighter goes through those tough fights against an unexpected fighter, shit happens.

Didnt they spar again about a year later or something and Tyson ****ed him up?
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Every fighter goes through those tough fights against an unexpected fighter, shit happens.

Didnt they spar again about a year later or something and Tyson ****ed him up?
there r usually no PED tests prior 2 sparing sessions, and if u want 2 count sparring sessions, how about James Broad, Greg Page and Oliver McCall?
And how about Al Evans whom KOd Tyson in n amateur fight.
Seriously, d writing was on d wall with Tyson, despite his brilliant use of elbows and clinches, he was destined 2 walk in2 n uppercut or a hook vs a bigger man.. U can b proud of him that it did not happen previously 2 Douglas, during Tyson's professional career.

Probably that sparring session u refer 2 was a confidence builder that Tyson's handlers paid well 4 Tillis 2 cooper8 with.

Further in Tillis' defense, he had allergy 2 eggs which hindered him during his supposed 2b prime.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Tillis showed up in great shape, he got past the egg allergy thing, and he
had great boxing skills and could move. A great boxer with balls and/or
a chin who can move will always give Mike trouble. Tillis won some rounds,
but Mike won the fight, clealry. The knockdown gives Mike the edge if you
gave Tillis more rounds. Ive been meaning to watch this fight, haven't
seen it in a year or two. Great effort by Tillis though. As for styles you
can't slug it out with Mike. Maybe Foreman could thats about it. Mike's
hook gets to everyone.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
MonagFam
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think part of what made the fight stand out was that Tyson really was a larger than life character to me. I knew him through almost a comic book presentation in articles, and through a devastating highlight reel history. I almost didn't see him as human until the Douglas fight, and even then, you'd be hard pressed to find a fighter I didn't think he'd beat when matched up.

Everyone is absolutely correct that this is a fight that fighters go through. It was just such an eye-opener when I saw it. He beat so many guys before they got in the ring it seems, but Tillis really gave him a good fight.
MonagFam is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I expected it to be difficult because Tillis was big and strong enough, had very good footwork and a good jab -- all the right ingredients to be competitive. And he also was tough and had a better-than-average chin.

I figured Tyson would probably wear him down and get him out in the second half of the fight, but I wasn't shocked that it was competitive nor that Tillis won some rounds and made a fight of it.

Give Tillis all the credit, but keep in mind that this is a young Tyson who had gotten used to bullying aroud opponents and getting them out of there quick. I don't care how much Cus D'Amato or anyone else might have warned him that every fight wasn't going to be easy, at that age and with a string of mostly easy knockouts I'm sure Tyson at the time probably was thinking anyone he hit was going to fall down and go boom. Great learning experience.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

This was a step up fight. Often the better fighter drops too many rounds adapting to the level. Tyson was a better fighter but he was stepping up and having to adjust to a better level of competitive opposition. At that point he was not used to getting hit back. Out of the two Tyson was always the most likely to score a stoppage throughout the fight but there would have been no shame in not getting the decision. Often fights such as these are close and among judges there is an unwritten rule to go with the fighter on the way up rather than with the fighter on his way down. They went with the fighter on the way up because it is the natural order of things. They did it with Bowe vs Tubbs, Thomas vs Coetzee and many other fights. It does not really matter. The sport needs new stars and in the mid 80s the whole boxing industry needed an exciting heavyweight.Tyson was the better fighter but he only won only 4 clear decisive rounds. Could quite easily have been a draw. Win or lose Tyson was a better fighter because of this fight so there is no way Tillis could do as well again. Even though I gave Tillis an edge I get why Tyson got the the win. There was no point giving it to Tillis when it was so close.
choklab is online now  Top
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That's true, but don't forget the bout was pretty much in Tyson's backyard. And Tillis' form coming into that fight was horrible and a mean reason he was a 10-1 underdog.

I was at the fight and thought it was a mismatch like everyone else and figured Tillis to not last 3. Especially considering how is career had gone after Weaver and that he'd lost 4 of his last 5 fights. But early on--like lots of Tyson fights--it was apparent Mike was not going to catch this guy early. And then he started getting hit and it showed some things, didn't it?

But that was a Tyson crowd and there weren't 10 people pulling for Tillis and it's very very difficult in boxing to be the road warrior winning decisions. You really need the tko or multiple knockdowns.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

made me think that a 1970s ali would handle tyson
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was a good test for a young fighter. Tyson would go on to face some pretty good boxer technicians that were far better than Tillis, so chalk it up as a good learning experience. Tillis took his lumps and came to fight.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza View Post
tyson said that he was leery of going 10 rounds. paced himself basically. he said at the end of the fight he had a lot left so if they fought again, he'd go for the ko. i thought it was a smart strategy from mike.

tyson's problem was the catch 22. if he knocked someone out they were a bum (donnie long good example), and if it went the distance well mike's not that good. he stated this in many interviews before he was even champ.
And it's still his biggest fault according to his detractors nowadays. That and having no heart, folding when hit back and if taken passed the 5th he gets beaten, inevitably.

Tillis came to fight. It was his last hurrah as something had to be proven against the division's savior. 7-3 Tyson.
Sangria is online now  Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #13
energie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

tyson won no problem...it wasnt easy but he was 19 and put tillis on the deck
energie is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was inevitable a fighter as young as Tyson, being moved along as fast as he was, was going to run into a veteran with the ability to give him trouble. Tyson the legend was an incredible fighter, but Tyson the myth, that he was this invincible behemoth, didn't exist. He was a physical freak who had mastered D'Amato's peekaboo style. He had technical weaknesses, even in his prime, and his defense has always been overrated in terms of sheer efficacy.

On the other hand, what Tillis showed in winning 4 rounds, or what he brought out of Tyson, was that the young beast had a huge heart beyond his ruthless aggression. Tyson was having trouble finding the target, he was uncomfortable, but he fought through it, kept throwing, and in the end, outFOUGHT Tillis; He didn't overwhelm him, and he didn't outbox him, he was too much man for him, at 19 years old.

What it showed a lot of people was, yes, that the kid wasn't unbeatable, the second coming of Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, and Foreman rolled into one. But it showed them that he would be a legend anyway. He could get through the hard fights AND win the blowouts. That's how he became the youngest champion, how he got his swagger back against Ruddock, and how he managed to get back into the top ranks of the heavyweights after prison.

Tyson was an animal.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangria View Post
And it's still his biggest fault according to his detractors nowadays. That and having no heart, folding when hit back and if taken passed the 5th he gets beaten, inevitably.

Tillis came to fight. It was his last hurrah as something had to be proven against the division's savior. 7-3 Tyson.
I think this might be the biggest myth in boxing. I used to believe it, myself. Having watched and rewatched Tyson's whole career, though, it has become obvious to me that Tyson had big, brass balls and tons of heart.

He wasn't a smart fighter, and that is what got him against the fighters who beat them, but he stood in with them, took massive punishment, and tried his damnedest to fight back and score a KO. The Holyfield DQ was because he was an unbalanced moron incapable of a mature response to a rough fight, not because he was trying to quit, and finally, I see that.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum