Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

On the 4th April Jon Thaxton a proven and hard working fighter will take a huge step up in class and try for Euro honours against the high class and experianced young Veteran Yuri Romanov. Its a classic pairing of a quality British champion challenging a well established, fringe world title contender. Its everything good about boxing- an honest pairing of honest pro's who have the balls to put it all on the line to try and get their neck in front of the pack.

Its the old school way and the way and the way things should be done. Thaxton emerged on the scene in 1996 coming in at short notice in his 14th fight to KO undefeated British and Commonwealth light welterweight champion Paul Ryan in one round. He followed with impressive wins over Bernard Paul, Paul Burke and Mark Elliot. He was robbed of the British title against Jason Rowland been stopped on rather pathetic cuts after knocking the favourite down twice in London, took Hatton the distance then suffered a stoppage loss to an inform Eamon Magee. Since then he is unbeaten having impressively cut down prospects Lee Meager, Scott Lawton and Dave Stewart in his last 3 fights.

Romanov is just 25 and already holds wins over Steve Murray, Bobby Vanzie (our best two lightweights at the time), Juan Carlos Malero, Toncho Tonchev and Stefano Zoff..... His only losses coming to Graham Earl and one in his fourth pro fight. He's had no big build up and has established himself as a quality fighter by beating quality fighters.

The following night we will see a meeting between Amir Khan Olympic silver medalist and the WBO number one contender Martin Kristjansen. Khan has after a very positive start to his career began to recieve more then hsi fair share of critism- He promised us his next fight following his win over no-show St-Clair would be for the European title and that he would beat Jon Thaxton so far he has done neither. In his entire 16 fight career its safe to say that the only opponents who have given him a serious fight have been Lazlo Komjathi and Willie Limond. Of his opponents combined 269 victories only 84 have been by stoppage. Khans one opponent with a punchers record Vitali Martynov then 9-1 (6ko's) is now 11-7 (7ko's) with all 7 defeats inside the distance 6 in the first and 1 in the second.

This alleged step up see's him fight a man with just 5 ko's in 23 matches. He has only stopped one non novice professional- that on an injury. His record is a who's who of nobodies the only reasonably exciting results been a draw with ancient Stefano Zoff who had previously beaten him and a six round win over world class amateur turned journeyman kirkor kirkorov. This man is the best Lightweight in the world according to the WBO not including interim 'champion' Katsadis or actual champion Juan Diaz.

The fight oozes manufactured garbage, they fight for the right to fight for a plastic soon to be vacant belt... and slowly but surely every real fan of boxing who couldn't wait for old school olympian Khan to embark on an old school respectable career is realising that Khans career isn't going to be gold or silver- its going to be plastic.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
On the 4th April Jon Thaxton a proven and hard working fighter will take a huge step up in class and try for Euro honours against the high class and experianced young Veteran Yuri Romanov. Its a classic pairing of a quality British champion challenging a well established, fringe world title contender. Its everything good about boxing- an honest pairing of honest pro's who have the balls to put it all on the line to try and get their neck in front of the pack.

Its the old school way and the way and the way things should be done. Thaxton emerged on the scene in 1996 coming in at short notice in his 14th fight to KO undefeated British and Commonwealth light welterweight champion Paul Ryan in one round. He followed with impressive wins over Bernard Paul, Paul Burke and Mark Elliot. He was robbed of the British title against Jason Rowland been stopped on rather pathetic cuts after knocking the favourite down twice in London, took Hatton the distance then suffered a stoppage loss to an inform Eamon Magee. Since then he is unbeaten having impressively cut down prospects Lee Meager, Scott Lawton and Dave Stewart in his last 3 fights.

Romanov is just 25 and already holds wins over Steve Murray, Bobby Vanzie (our best two lightweights at the time), Juan Carlos Malero, Toncho Tonchev and Stefano Zoff..... His only losses coming to Graham Earl and one in his fourth pro fight. He's had no big build up and has established himself as a quality fighter by beating quality fighters.

The following night we will see a meeting between Amir Khan Olympic silver medalist and the WBO number one contender Martin Kristjansen. Khan has after a very positive start to his career began to recieve more then hsi fair share of critism- He promised us his next fight following his win over no-show St-Clair would be for the European title and that he would beat Jon Thaxton so far he has done neither. In his entire 16 fight career its safe to say that the only opponents who have given him a serious fight have been Lazlo Komjathi and Willie Limond. Of his opponents combined 269 victories only 84 have been by stoppage. Khans one opponent with a punchers record Vitali Martynov then 9-1 (6ko's) is now 11-7 (7ko's) with all 7 defeats inside the distance 6 in the first and 1 in the second.

This alleged step up see's him fight a man with just 5 ko's in 23 matches. He has only stopped one non novice professional- that on an injury. His record is a who's who of nobodies the only reasonably exciting results been a draw with ancient Stefano Zoff who had previously beaten him and a six round win over world class amateur turned journeyman kirkor kirkorov. This man is the best Lightweight in the world according to the WBO not including interim 'champion' Katsadis or actual champion Juan Diaz.

The fight oozes manufactured garbage, they fight for the right to fight for a plastic soon to be vacant belt... and slowly but surely every real fan of boxing who couldn't wait for old school olympian Khan to embark on an old school respectable career is realising that Khans career isn't going to be gold or silver- its going to be plastic.
Khan is better than this garbage isn't he?I would reconsider of being britains youngest champ because I don't thnk he his ready for babybull or Katdists.At least Jon Thaxton as bottle.
john b is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
TFFP

vCash:

This really is getting fairly boring

If he ends up fighting Casamayor/Katsidis next who gives a flying **** how he got there? They are top 5 in this division

If he fights another bum after Kristjansen that will be the time for criticism, but fighting the number 1 contender is a step forward, I don't care what his KO ratio is
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
This really is getting fairly boring

If he ends up fighting Casamayor/Katsidis next who gives a flying **** how he got there? They are top 5 in this division

If he fights another bum after Kristjansen that will be the time for criticism, but fighting the number 1 contender is a step forward, I don't care what his KO ratio is
So they got you too....
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
So they got you too....
What?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

In his 17th fight Jon Thaxton fought Paul Burke. A guy with four losses on his record at British and European title level and not the greatest knock out record.

Explain how he is a better level of opponent than Kristjansen? For a bonus point, explain how Bernard Paul was a higher level of opponent than St Clair.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
What?
You believe what sports network tell you... you want to watch him fight bum after bum when he could be having a meaningful career? Thats all that will happen- next time we'll step him up, then they don't .... but they keep promising us something special 'next time'... its a joke and with all your posts you should be smart enough to realise that.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler
In his 17th fight Jon Thaxton fought Paul Burke. A guy with four losses on his record at British and European title level and not the greatest knock out record.

Explain how he is a better level of opponent than Kristjansen? For a bonus point, explain how Bernard Paul was a higher level of opponent than St Clair.
Read the post again.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

And further to that Cobbler... Bernard Paul came to fight everytime and scored some good upset wins in a respectable career... St Clair took the money and ran. As for criticising Paul Burke and writing him off as a non puncher- you really need to read more BN.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
You believe what sports network tell you... you want to watch him fight bum after bum when he could be having a meaningful career? Thats all that will happen- next time we'll step him up, then they don't .... but they keep promising us something special 'next time'... its a joke and with all your posts you should be smart enough to realise that.
I'd prefer him to fight Romanov, obviously

That said, I can't jump on the incessant anti-Khan bandwagon, when he's fighting the guy that is number 1 ranked, rightly or wrongly

If this gets him a fight with Katsidis/Casamayor next time out nobody will be complaining. The same sort of pricks that called Macca a ducker only for the fight to be made out of the blue will look foolish

If he fights another bum, I won't be defending him
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john b
Khan is better than this garbage isn't he?I would reconsider of being britains youngest champ because I don't thnk he his ready for babybull or Katdists.At least Jon Thaxton as bottle.
My point exactly.... One guy responds by telling me to give him a break because they may step him up next time and another thinks i'm comparing credentials.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'd prefer him to fight Romanov, obviously

That said, I can't jump on the incessant anti-Khan bandwagon, when he's fighting the guy that is number 1 ranked, rightly or wrongly

If this gets him a fight with Katsidis/Casamayor next time out nobody will be complaining. The same sort of pricks that called Macca a ducker only for the fight to be made out of the blue will look foolish

If he fights another bum, I won't be defending him
Well where you are now mentally with Khan.. thats where I was pre St Clair. I'm not anti Khan in the slightest. I like him and think he is quality but he is been mismanaged.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

Quote:
My point exactly.... One guy responds by telling me to give him a break because they may step him up next time and another thinks i'm comparing credentials.
Some Just like to argue its in there nature. Whats made it worst is that oh ****** was giving it the bigun saying if he can't fight in america then he will be fighting romanov. As soon as frank ****** decides to call it quits we may see british boxing back to a decet level domestically.
john b is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Well where you are now mentally with Khan.. thats where I was pre St Clair. I'm not anti Khan in the slightest. I like him and think he is quality but he is been mismanaged.
St Clair wasn't number 1 ranked anything though was he?

He was supposed to be a step up in class. He'd been in with the best, he'd never been knocked out. He was there to take Khan 12 rounds, and that he did. I thought it was a valuable fight for Khan

I can't say I'm thrilled with the decision they've made, as I've said Romanov is a much better fighter. But at the same time it is not worthy of such criticism, because if they truely have that big fight in mind it will be worth it. Katsidis and Casamayor are tied up, I see this as a logical fight in the mean time

They will really have nowhere to go after this fight, it will have to be the winner of Thaxton/Romanov or Kat/Casamayor. If nothing materialises, even I will give up on them
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
If you're not comparing credentials, then what? You're complaining about the quality of who Khan may fight in the future? You're bitching because he may go on to fight for a world title in the next year rather than following the 'old school' route of spending the next three years mixing fighting bums with losing challenges for the British title and Inter-continental titles?
Cobbler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum