boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,934
vCash: 500
Default Burns broke him in the 7th....

Watched it again today and on closer inspection it's clear he won because he's the better fighter, maybe Gonzalez was the cuter more awkward boxer but he was wrecked after the 7th. He clearly didn't stop purely because of his wrist. His power was spent, his legs were jelly, his reactions had faded and he wasn't testing Burns with anything after that point. Had it gone on he would have lost by stoppage. He gave his best and Ricky ate it; after that he knew he was in for a beating.

Well done Ricky, onwards and upwards

P.s Gonzalez was pretty much an unknown quantity and i think he will pose problems for anyone in the division!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlow, UK
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 922
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Ricky did show a lot of bottle in the 7th, and that uppercut he landed was the best punch of the fight.

However, anybody in a world title fight shouldn't have fallen apart like that. In rounds 8 and 9 Ricky really didn't press home the advantage that much so I wouldn't say Ricky broke him. Gonzales just wasn't experienced or tough enough to cut it when things didn't go his own way.
Claypole is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

I think he would pose problems for Ricky Burns in particular. Problems like not having a title any more, which is why Burns fans are desperate to make it seem like Burns beat him instead of him beating himself by breaking his wrist.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Gonzalez lost that fight rather than Burns winning. Hope Burns and his team don't get this idea into there head that they can eat people with fitness and heart and actually address the issue that came about in that fight.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LONDON
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

he was not the better fighter

he had the bigger heart, much better conditioning and more experience

People seem to forget how he was totally outboxed for the first 7 rounds, fair play he won in the end though
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I think he would pose problems for Ricky Burns in particular. Problems like not having a title any more, which is why Burns fans are desperate to make it seem like Burns beat him instead of him beating himself by breaking his wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Gonzalez lost that fight rather than Burns winning.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Berliner
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 272
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
Watched it again today and on closer inspection it's clear he won because he's the better fighter, maybe Gonzalez was the cuter more awkward boxer but he was wrecked after the 7th. He clearly didn't stop purely because of his wrist. His power was spent, his legs were jelly, his reactions had faded and he wasn't testing Burns with anything after that point. Had it gone on he would have lost by stoppage. He gave his best and Ricky ate it; after that he knew he was in for a beating.

Well done Ricky, onwards and upwards

P.s Gonzalez was pretty much an unknown quantity and i think he will pose problems for anyone in the division!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Gonzalez gassed out thats all. Dont see what Burns has to do with this. Only a stuipid mistake by Gonzalez. WIthout that round he could have schooled burns for another 5 rounds and would have won the fight easy. Just lack of stamina and experience by Gonzalez.

Burns showed great heart stamina and chin but thats all he showed. He should stay away from Abril and Vasquez these fight would be very hard to win and also not very interesting for the normal sport fan. Especially a fight against Abril would be a boring ass fight.
Berliner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
why so funny?
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
why so funny?
It's like a cliché extravaganza since this fight. "BROKE HIS HEART" "REAL HEART" "HE LOST THE FIGHT, THE OTHER GUY DIDN'T WIN IT".

It just makes me laugh.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's like a cliché extravaganza since this fight. "BROKE HIS HEART" "REAL HEART" "HE LOST THE FIGHT, THE OTHER GUY DIDN'T WIN IT".

It just makes me laugh.
Might be cliche but it still describes what happened. Gonzalez gave the fight away due to his in experience.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Ari Gold Bawse
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 463
vCash: 899
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

i rewatched it earlier, i dont speak spanish but you could see gonzalez telling his corner he didnt want to continue. his trainer's face said it all

he had never seen a fighter take all the punches he landed and continue to start pressing him.

lack of heart lost him the fight
Ari Gold Bawse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
AlbertG
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Gonzalez lost that fight rather than Burns winning.
Not sure about that. When the two of them went toe to toe in 7th, Ricky was the one who showed the greater heart and determination to win. I was there on the night and you could see in Gonzalez' face after that round how disheartened he was at not being able to finish Ricky. I think Gonzalez was the better boxer but Ricky's will to win was the deciding factor.
AlbertG is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold Bawse View Post
i rewatched it earlier, i dont speak spanish but you could see gonzalez telling his corner he didnt want to continue. his trainer's face said it all

he had never seen a fighter take all the punches he landed and continue to start pressing him.

lack of heart lost him the fight
Yes....But Burns didn't break it.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

Don't agree that Gonzalez gave the fight away. He quit, and I don't believe it was because of the 'injury'. Some say Burns got lucky as if Gonzalez threw a punch, slipped on some water on the mat, went down and broke his arm. He quit because he blew his load and Ricky was still there, putting pressure on him. He had only gone past 8 rounds once, he just didn't want another three rounds of Ricky. IMO Ricky made him quit, so although he looked bad in there for the most part, and although Gonzalez looked the much better fighter, Ricky deserves credit for making him quit.
bam bam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
RightHook Rob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 318
vCash: 733
Default Re: Burns broke him in the 7th....

He didn't break anybody, kid gassed and quit, that's what happens when you blast everybody out of there and never go past 8 rounds. Now Gonzalez knows its not all about power and skills so in future he'll prepare accordingly.
RightHook Rob is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015