Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #151
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Are Matchroom trying to con us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom23 View Post
How many times does it need to be said.

This show would not be happening if it wern't for SBO.

It would never happen on normal Sky Sports
Because sky won't pay what the two fighters want, because they don't feel it'll generate sufficient subscriptions to justify the cost.

It's not on PPV because both men are such huge stars in the UK.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #152
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Because sky won't pay what the two fighters want, because they don't feel it'll generate sufficient subscriptions to justify the cost.
The fighters only want the money they want because they know they'll get it through PPV. They see lesser fighters get top money via the PPV route so quite rightly they want top dollar themselves.

It's SBO that causes the problem of Sky Sports not being able to (supposedly) afford what fighters demand, rather than SBO stepping in where Sky Sports fall short.

I realise PPV is here to stay, but I do believe we are heading for the day where virtually every regular Sky Sports fight night will end up PPV. They'll trump up even more pretend titles to justify it, and they'll get away with it too...
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #153
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

I just hope to god this doesn't do big numbers or every other fights going to be PPV, you will get to a stage where Eddies hideous creation Prizefighter, will be the only fistic combat (I refuse to call it boxing because it just isn't) that will be shown on sky normal cards will be SBO.

Apart from a good payment record Eddie is no different from Frank, that is as clear as day.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #154
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Apart from a good payment record Eddie is no different from Frank, that is as clear as day.
There are several other differences.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #155
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
There are several other differences.
Ok, he has a less of a fish head as well, but this man is responsible for PF and the comeback of PPV, that should not be celebrated, its ****ing diabolical.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #156
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
You're ignoring Frank's treatment of fans and fighters. There's a huge difference between his attitude and Hearn's when it comes to treating the fighters properly and making sure the fans are looked after.

That argument is like saying "well, if you ignore the fact he molested kids, Jimmy Savile wasn't a bad fella".
Jack is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #157
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
You're ignoring Frank's treatment of fans and fighters. There's a huge difference between his attitude and Hearn's when it comes to treating the fighters properly and making sure the fans are looked after.

That argument is like saying "well, if you ignore the fact he molested kids, Jimmy Savile wasn't a bad fella".
All Eddie does is smile more while he's taking you for a cunt, how is making fans pay 15 extra in a recession for a below par fight card treating them good?

I won't argue with you about treating his fighters better, that is true.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #158
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ok, he has a less of a fish head as well, but this man is responsible for PF and the comeback of PPV, that should not be celebrated, its ****ing diabolical.
This is not a good PPV card but that doesn't mean PPV is a bad thing. PPV & Prizefighter are both good things for British Boxing.

Public Relations, Cross Promotional Ties, Fighters Relationships, Relationship with broadcasters, Marketing, Keeping fighters active, logical matchmaking. Hearn is far superior to Frank in all these areas.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #159
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
All Eddie does is smile more while he's taking you for a cunt, how is making fans pay 15 extra in a recession for a below par fight card treating them good?

He isn't making fans do anything. You have a choice whether you purchase the fight or not.

The choice was Carl Froch v Adonis Stephenson on SS1 or Carl Froch v Mikkell Kessler on SBO.....which fight do you think Hearn was getting 100s of tweets a day asking him to make the fight?

If Hearn had come out and said "I tried to make the Kessler fight but there wouldn't be a budget to have Barker v Lee & Groves v Magee on the undercard so we passed on it" people, including you, would have crucified him.

The only thing Hearn is guilty of is promising to much and not delivering on those promises. Compare that to Franks track record.....come on!
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #160
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
This is not a good PPV card but that doesn't mean PPV is a bad thing. PPV & Prizefighter are both good things for British Boxing.

Public Relations, Cross Promotional Ties, Fighters Relationships, Relationship with broadcasters, Marketing, Keeping fighters active, logical matchmaking. Hearn is far superior to Frank in all these areas.
I don't mind paying for a PPV but it has to be worth it, Prizefighter we will always disagree on, I despise it and always will, plus it takes up valuable TV dates for real boxing.

Hearns matchmaking started off good but thats starting to go down hill.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #161
The Chemist
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I don't mind paying for a PPV but it has to be worth it, Prizefighter we will always disagree on, I despise it and always will, plus it takes up valuable TV dates for real boxing.

The recent shows have improved. At the end of the day some people will never be happy!
The Chemist is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #162
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
The recent shows have improved. At the end of the day some people will never be happy!
No I'm not happy with good reason, out of a measly 20 TV dates, 6 are Prizefighters and the best fight he's made is PPV, for that I expect the 14 remaining dates to be top class, which very few has been thus far.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #163
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

How comes when Prizefighter clashed with 2 British title fights everyone on this forum watched Prizefighter?

Whats the difference between what Hearn was doing in 2011 and what he is doing now?

The only two fights you can say Hearn has made in 2013 that were shit was Barker v Rotollo & Groves v Balmacedi. Rose shouldn't have been a main event but was still a good fight.

Frampton v Martinez - Great Fight
Selby v Lindsay - Great Support Fight
Lee v Fitzgerald - Good opener

Barker v Rotollo - Shit fight
Groves v Balmacedi - Shit fight (1 weeks notice)

Connor v Evangelou - Good opener
Camacho v Clarke - Grood UC fight

Bellew v Chilemba - 50/50 WBC Eliminator.
Crolla v Matthews - Great Support Fight
Fielding v Reed - Good opener

Rose v Acline - 50/50 but not a main event
Selby v McConnell - Good Support Fight
Cardle v Hughes - Good opener
Askin v Clarke - Good UC fight

Burns v Gonzalez - Good Fight. Mandatory
Choi v Simpson - Great Support fight
Simmons v Sweeney - Good Opener
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #164
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No I'm not happy with good reason, out of a measly 20 TV dates, 6 are Prizefighters and the best fight he's made is PPV, for that I expect the 14 remaining dates to be top class, which very few has been thus far.
Name me a British promoter that puts on 14 shows a year and a broadcaster that shows more than 14 domestic shows a year?

Do you even like boxing? If its all shit why do you watch?
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #165
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:

He's not made anyone pay for PPV though. If people think the fight is worth it, they'll pay and if they don't, they won't. It's that simple. Nobody is being forced into paying for Froch/Kessler II.

PPV is an option. Sky could put two journeyman on PPV if they wanted to and that'd perfectly fine. If they did, I wouldn't buy it and neither would anyone else so it'd flop and we'd never see a card like that again. I don't think the McDonnell fight was worth 10 either, so I didn't buy it and the majority of boxing fans didn't either. That event will have flopped and therefore, it'd unlikely we'll see a similar event any time soon.

Ultimately, the fans will decide. If people want to see the fight, it'll be a success but if people agree with you and think the card is poor, it'll be a flop and Hearn will lose money. Either way, you've got a choice of what you want to do, and for that reason, I can't understand why fans object to it.
Jack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum