Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #181
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922
Default Re: Are Matchroom trying to con us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
In the RBR, 90% of the people were watching Prizefighter over the two British title fights.
People watching Prizefighter were bored, that's why they were in the RBR. Those of us watching the British Title fights didn't bother.
Claypole is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #182
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Don't get me wrong Rob, Eddie does a lot of thing right but that shouldn't give him a free pass when he does things that's wrong.
This thread is titled "Are Matchroom trying to con us"

He is hardly getting a free pass.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #183
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
There isn't one but seeing as Hearn has all the dates he has a duty to make them as good as possible, if you had every promoter fighting over a certain tv the quality will naturally go up.

It seems to me, mind be wrong but now has all the dates the quality is slipping, this PPV is an example of this.
The quality isn`t slipping, 90% of FFN were shit imo.I`m not a big fan of ppv but this one is better then most in the past and last time was on Primtime ppv which an inferior outlet then Sky ppv.Sky and Matchroom are doing a better job then www. and Boxnation for domestic fights and lets see if BT will compete.
There are people on here who think Sky should subsidise the sport with loads of dates and money even if the quality is poor and the viewing figures are shit because they have done so in the past.They are a general sports channel and if you only get it for the Boxing it will not be value for money at the moment,untill they build the sport back up again and increase the budget and dates again.Hopefully then they will throw a few dates out for tender and pick up the odd non Matchroom show.Leisure centre shows on a friday night headined by the likes of Chris Edwards or Lenny Daws(nothing against both these fighters) was not good enough and usualy that would be the only live fight shown on the Bill
ashedward is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #184
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its poor form from Hearn. No dobut. If I was in the UK I wouldn't buy the PPV and if I had purchased a ticket I probably would sell it.
You would sell a ticket for the fight you were looking forward to just because the undercard was a bit on the poor side.I`m going to this and the undercard isn`t great it`s better then the last two times I went the o2 for boxing Haye-Barrett and Groves-Degale.

The main event is why people have paid there good money for this but at like most shows in this country if their is a cut in the first round which stops the fight people will be left feeling shortchanged.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #185
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
There isn't one but seeing as Hearn has all the dates he has a duty to make them as good as possible, if you had every promoter fighting over a certain tv the quality will naturally go up.
I disagree with this. The quality today is better than when Frank, Hatton and Maloney were sharing Sky dates.

The quality of shows with Hearn is fine for me. I have no issue with them. We'd all love to see packed cards every week but this is sadly unrealistic, though what Hearn offers is exactly what the majority of good promoters provide. His formula for shows, with prospects, a good couple of undercard fighters and then a good main event is fine, I think. Some cards are better than others but he's got that spot on. I just wish he had more than 20 dates each year or that Sky and the sponsors didn't insist on Prizefighter.

Dominance by one promoter can be a bad thing but I don't think it is on Sky. Quality has improved and we're now not getting any more abysmal small hall shows in front of 200 people. That's a step in the right direction for me and I hope it continues.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #186
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashedward View Post
The quality isn`t slipping, 90% of FFN were shit imo.I`m not a big fan of ppv but this one is better then most in the past and last time was on Primtime ppv which an inferior outlet then Sky ppv.Sky and Matchroom are doing a better job then www. and Boxnation for domestic fights and lets see if BT will compete.
There are people on here who think Sky should subsidise the sport with loads of dates and money even if the quality is poor and the viewing figures are shit because they have done so in the past.They are a general sports channel and if you only get it for the Boxing it will not be value for money at the moment,untill they build the sport back up again and increase the budget and dates again.Hopefully then they will throw a few dates out for tender and pick up the odd non Matchroom show.Leisure centre shows on a friday night headined by the likes of Chris Edwards or Lenny Daws(nothing against both these fighters) was not good enough and usualy that would be the only live fight shown on the Bill
If BT came along and did 14 shows the same level Hearn puts out, people would be going bat shit crazy about how good it is. The problem with British boxing is not Hearn/Sky....its thats Hearn/Sky are the only players.

Fans need to be realistic. Frank has put on some great shows with multiple world titles but it meant everything else he did was shit. His company is 8million in the red so obviously that format doesn't work.

Sky & Hearns approach is Main Event (Big Name, Competitive meaningful fight), Chief Support (Competitive Domestic/International), Opener (Area Title) and Filler (Prospect 6x3). Hearn is now in a position where he can fulfill 20 dates on Sky with the stable he has even if he does 2/3 PPV's a year, before he wasn't. Because the stable has grown, the quality of the main events and everything underneath will go down.

Main Event
Froch, Haye, Burns, Frampton, Brook, Groves, Bellew, Barker
Chief Support
Rose, Selby, Rees, Ocheing, Ryder, Purdy, Simpson, McCloskey, Prozska, Anderson
Opener
Fielding, Cardle, Yafai, Aston, Taylir, Camacho, Connor
Filler
Smith, Campell, Stalker

USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #187
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If BT came along and did 14 shows the same level Hearn puts out, people would be going bat shit crazy about how good it is. The problem with British boxing is not Hearn/Sky....its thats Hearn/Sky are the only players.

Fans need to be realistic. Frank has put on some great shows with multiple world titles but it meant everything else he did was shit. His company is 8million in the red so obviously that format doesn't work.

Sky & Hearns approach is Main Event (Big Name, Competitive meaningful fight), Chief Support (Competitive Domestic title), Opener (Area Title) and Filler (Prospect 6x3). Hearn is now in a position where he can fulfill 20 dates on Sky with the stable he has even if he does 2/3 PPV's a year, before he wasn't. Because the stable has grown, the quality of the main events and everything underneath will go down.

Main Event
Froch, Haye, Burns, Frampton, Brook, Groves, Bellew, Barker
Chief Support
Rose, Selby, Rees, Ocheing, Ryder, Purdy, Simpson, McCloskey, Prozska, Anderson
Opener
Fielding, Cardle, Yafai, Aston, Taylir, Camacho, Connor
Filler
Smith, Campell, Stalker
Yep,agree with that.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #188
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
There are several other differences.
I disagree

**Please post using just one account, this switching between accounts is ****ing creepy
icemax is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #189
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
This is not a good PPV card
What happened to your outraged stance on this PPV that had Eddie so alarmed?

Quote:
In the RBR, 90% of the people were watching Prizefighter over the two British title fights.
Lots of people were watching both, its not difficult
icemax is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #190
unknown1

Think Eddie is doing ok fact is he doesn't get the world title fights over here
unknown1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum