Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #76
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Nelson was poor.

There were loads of times he tried to stop a fighter making a point and it was only when the likes of Eubank and Jones actually said "let me finish" that we got a chance to hear them and it became a great show. If the fighters had actually stopped talking every time Nelson tried to interject it would'nt been half as good.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #77
Pa_nash
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I found Eubank extremely annoying with the back handed compliments towards Collins. Seems quite bitter to me. Collins was a pain in the arse too but settled down a bit as the show went on. Didn't hear enough from RJJ. I was hoping for better to be honest.
Pa_nash is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #78
sjp17
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Calzaghe was a very good boxer though i would say his record makes him look better than he actually was, he did beat some good fighters but he also beat some well after they had peaked RJJ, Hopkins
sjp17 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #79
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Was very surprised to see Eubank concede that Jones/Tony/The US scene was better than what was happening this side of the pond.

Eubank more or less conceded that theres no way he could have hung with Jones or Toney.

In a roundabout way of course. He said he didn't fancy going to war with them.

Collins was pretty embarrassing to be honest, a their peaks he wasn't fit to lace Jones gloves.
Jayob10 is online now  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #80
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayob10 View Post
Was very surprised to see Eubank concede that Jones/Tony/The US scene was better than what was happening this side of the pond.

Eubank more or less conceded that theres no way he could have hung with Jones or Toney.

Collins was pretty embarrassing to be honest, a their peaks he wasn't fit to lace Jones gloves.
Eubank could have given Toney an argument, but would have lost clearly. Toney would have ruined Benn - that would have been a gruesome fight. Jones... just no way any of the British guys could have dealt with him.

Benn would have caused him problems early on by denying Roy the space he likes, but within five rounds Nigel would have been flat on his back.

Have no interest in Collins. Never that great, got Eubank and Benn at the right time. No one would have been talking about him now otherwise.

Calzaghe is the best of the British bunch. He'd have beaten Toney clearly and lost on points to Jones.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #81
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
Jones on Toney was good after Collins threw his name in there but I think Jones didn't want to give him any sort of praise(I think he nodded slightly when someone mentioned his natural talent
I thought Roy brought Toney up, he gave him praise first. He just flipped when Collins said James had more natural talent than any one at the table including Roy. If I was Roy I'd have reacted the same.
The Chosen is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #82
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post
I thought Roy brought Toney up, he gave him praise first. He just flipped when Collins said James had more natural talent than any one at the table including Roy. If I was Roy I'd have reacted the same.

I'll need to watch that. James was, undoubtedly, the most natural fighter of the bunch of them. Nerves of steel.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #83
Lil Niall
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Really amusing the digs from Eubank to Collins.

Eubank was a Stallion & Collins a donkey!!!
Lil Niall is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #84
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Eubank got Collins back up by confronting him about not fighting Calzaghe. The show was more entertaining for this. But, apparently Collins is a cunt because he was pissed off with this line of questioning and openly showed this.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #85
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post
There's always a tendency in any walk of life for the laziest to be perceived as the most talented. Think Jones got annoyed it at being perpetuated yet again. He would've had no problem if Collins just said he was very talented.

Collins has a tendency I've noticed to try and go against the grain. Whoever he beats is great and whoever he's lost to or predicted to have lost to (Calzaghe) he's very begrudging. He's always bigging up Woodhall because Richie is so self-deprecating.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #86
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

How did I miss this!!!!
bailey is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #87
Taylor
Journeyman

I can't work out if Collins genuinely thinks he would have beaten RJJ or if he is just in need of a few bucks.

Either way, he is a ****. He got Benn and Eubank when they were past their best and ducked Calzaghe.
Taylor is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #88
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp17 View Post
Calzaghe was a very good boxer though i would say his record makes him look better than he actually was, he did beat some good fighters but he also beat some well after they had peaked RJJ, Hopkins
Well hopkins had his chance 2002/2003 signed the contract to fight calzaghe in america set to get his biggest pay day then last minute demanded double and rightly didnt get it and pulled out and got sued by Fisheyes.

Ottke avoided Calzaghe and depended many times on his home pot roast to get him wins.

As for Jones jr and calzaghe fight not happening earlier that was more down to promotion and TV contrators.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #89
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayob10 View Post

Im not so sure that is what he meant he wasnt specific about that, he said to go there and fight jones would have been suicide but he was not specific about why.

Though Jones reaffirmed to eubank that he thought Eubank what have been one of his toughest fights had it happened
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #90
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Eubank could have given Toney an argument, but would have lost clearly. Toney would have ruined Benn - that would have been a gruesome fight. Jones... just no way any of the British guys could have dealt with him.

Benn would have caused him problems early on by denying Roy the space he likes, but within five rounds Nigel would have been flat on his back.

Have no interest in Collins. Never that great, got Eubank and Benn at the right time. No one would have been talking about him now otherwise.

Calzaghe is the best of the British bunch. He'd have beaten Toney clearly and lost on points to Jones.
I agree with your view of Toney - Calzaghe , but to me Jones - Calzaghe would be 50/50

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum