Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #106
bratwurzt
Whore
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
even if it was better you can hardly call eubank a coward after the fights the man was involved in!
He should watch Benn 1 and the two Thompson fights. Idiot.
bratwurzt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #107
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

I must've missed the bit where Eubank admitted 'the scene in America was better'?
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #108
DON1
ICEMAN
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Great watch. Was interesting to see the ego's at battle.
DON1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #109
gattiwarrior
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: glasgow scotland
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

regarding the jones-calzaghe prime for prime fight...i think joe would have been lucky to win 2 rounds against jones jnr
gattiwarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #110
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApatheticLeader View Post
I missed the show, but going by the comments on the threads the fighters themselves have confirmed what I stated for YEARS on here.

Eubank is a complete coward.

The American scene was far stronger than the British scene, and both Benn and especially Eubank would have been twatted by Jones, Toney and Nunn.

All I can say is "I told you so...."
Chris Eubank a "coward" ?

Fool
Furey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #111
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancs UK
Posts: 537
vCash: 2419
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Good to see how much respect they all had for Jones and Toney. A different breed.

Don't think Calzaghe would have fared well against either of those two at their best. Squared himself up too much, could have looked out of his depth at times I'd imagine.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #112
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
Good to see how much respect they all had for Jones and Toney. A different breed.

Don't think Calzaghe would have fared well against either of those two at their best. Squared himself up too much, could have looked out of his depth at times I'd imagine.
He wouldn't have looked out of his depth, not by any means.

Whether he'd have won is another debate.
Furey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #113
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

I think Calzaghe matches up well against Toney, but the caveat with Toney is always that he was so hot and cold that he could conceivably beat or lose to just about any world class fighter.

I've never seen any convincing argument for Calzaghe having a decent chance against a prime Jones, which considering the hundreds of threads discussing it on this and other forums says something. I don't think Jones blows him away by any means, but he'd most likely have controlled the fight and coasted to a wide decision win.
Momus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #114
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post
I think Calzaghe matches up well against Toney, but the caveat with Toney is always that he was so hot and cold that he could conceivably beat or lose to just about any world class fighter.

I've never seen any convincing argument for Calzaghe having a decent chance against a prime Jones, which considering the hundreds of threads discussing it on this and other forums says something. I don't think Jones blows him away by any means, but he'd most likely have controlled the fight and coasted to a wide decision win.
Calzaghe & Toney prime for prime is a hard one as for me it can work out one of two ways.

1. Calzaghe outworks him to a UD, constant pressure, never letting up, constantly all over him in & out.

2. Calzaghe throws punch after punch, but Toney being so intelligent is able to read it and basically just stick, move, counter, slip etc.
Furey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #115
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
What level American hyped level? zoids Level?? Jones has always been given too much acclaim than deserved, the difference is hes american and gets noticed more and too many Brits bow in blindness. I`m not knocking his skills here but to say he was on another level is just OTT
The "Jones is overrated because he's American" argument is a bit lazy, to be honest. Just because someone rates him higher than the British supermiddles of the 90s doesn't mean that they ignore "Reluctant Roy", PEDs, his late career losses or any other stains on his legacy. Some people do overrate him, but looking at his career objectively he was clearly the most gifted fighter of his generation and one of the top 2 or 3 based on accomplishments.

Anyhoo, I don't want to get dragged into a Jones Vs Calzaghe debate as it's been done to death. It's more a case that Nelson's fawning over Calzaghe was embarassing and seemed to completely ignore that Jones is regarded by the vast majority of people as a better and more accomplished fighter.
Momus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #116
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 12,876
vCash: 84
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Being repeated on Tuesday
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #117
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 12,876
vCash: 84
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurzt View Post
A slower, past prime Jones dropped him in the first couple of rounds.
So does that mean that would happen every time they fight? Of course not.
Pascal twice dropped Hopkins when they first fought and could arguably have a 3rd KD counted, but in the rematch Hopkins didnt go down once.
Ridiculous thing to say.
Must also forget that a slower past prime Calzaghe dominated Jones for 11 rounds
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #118
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 12,876
vCash: 84
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Looks good for Calzaghe that out of the other 4 fighters being interviewed, he had beaten 3 of them and the other twice backed out of facing him
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #119
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurzt View Post
A slower, past prime Jones dropped him in the first couple of rounds.
Funny you also forget Calzaghe was what 37 years old and also fighting in his last pro fight...
Furey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #120
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Gloves are off - Super Middle Weights - 10:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post
The "Jones is overrated because he's American" argument is a bit lazy, to be honest. Just because someone rates him higher than the British supermiddles of the 90s doesn't mean that they ignore "Reluctant Roy", PEDs, his late career losses or any other stains on his legacy. Some people do overrate him, but looking at his career objectively he was clearly the most gifted fighter of his generation and one of the top 2 or 3 based on accomplishments.

Anyhoo, I don't want to get dragged into a Jones Vs Calzaghe debate as it's been done to death. It's more a case that Nelson's fawning over Calzaghe was embarassing and seemed to completely ignore that Jones is regarded by the vast majority of people as a better and more accomplished fighter.
My point is america is classed as the centre of the boxing world thats where Jones is from, which means he got attention and recognition handed to him on a plate more or less, which is what Lacy got with nearly all on both sides of the pond saying Lacy would beat Calzaghe becausethe fear of hype blinded many.
I see plenty try to degrade Calzaghes opposition but that can be easily said and done on Jones , Hopkins and toney's opposition.

You tell me what areas of skill and strength Jones was better than Calzaghe? ok i`ll say, Speed and reflexes and power maybe.

Calzaghe is stronger in these areas: workrate, stamina/engine, Chin, recovery rate, adaptability, punch variety.

As for those going on about jones putting calzaghe down , well every KD he took was due to being up close and not seeing it coming, when his hands went down as in the Jones fight not even Jones strongest punch affected him because he saw it coming.

Jones at times was a cautious thinker in the ring and aired on the side of safety, that attitude is just asking for it against calzaghe.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013