Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Buddy McGirt vs Hector Camacho....say in 1988

camacho won a ud over howard davis in 87, fighting at jr.welter.

davis, dispite losing to camacho, got a shot at mcgirt in 88. mcgirt blew him out in one.

now what if camacho had fought mcgirt in 88 instead of davis (after all, he was more deserving)??

mcgirt was the "cuter" fighter as well as the harder puncher. but camacho was alot faster and a southpaw.

tough pick eh???
bumdujour is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Buddy McGirt vs Hector Camacho....say in 1988

by the way, i think camacho would win on points due to his speed advantage.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would give the edge to a prime Camacho as well. Mcgirt was a tremendously good fighter, but he typically did not fare well against some of your quicker boxer types, like Taylor and Whitaker. Of course he was a bit past it in the latter of those two, but I think the principles for beating him were the same. Hector would have had to box his ass off to beat Mcgirt and couldn't afford too much silly nonsense. In the end, I see the Macho man taking a close but deserved decision.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I'll take the best Buddy at 140 (****** rematch), against the best Camacho at 140 (I'll say the Pazienza fight because Camacho and Davis both came in just over the jr welter limit) and here's why:

McGirt's biggest problem imo was stamina. The biggest struggles he had in fights came from the other guy outworking him with a gruelling workrate (first ****** fight and the Taylor fight being the prime examples at junior welter).

Hector quite simply didn't fight at gruelling paces like those guys. He flurried and moved and flurried and moved taking breathers between assaults. This I think will play into Buddy's hands because whenever he fought at a pace which allowed him to suck it up he performaed extremely well (fights with Brown, Oliva and the first Whitaker fight being the prime examples).

I see this fight going like Camacho-Rosario but with Buddy not taking as many punches as Rosario did. Hector will take an early lead and may even stun or wobble Buddy becuase of his superior handspeed, but sooner or later (and I think sooner rather than later) Buddy is going to start coming on with straight right hands and left hooks to the body and Camacho is going to be running and holding on, because McGirt is the bigger, stronger and more powerful of the two and Hector won't want to get into many exchanges with him. Like Rosario, Buddy has good power and a good right hand (the most effective punch against a southpaw) and he has better combination throwing ability than Rosario and defense as well, which will give him a bit of an edge in comparison to Rosario.

I see an 8-4 maybe 7-5 type of decision in McGirt's favour. Quite simply Camacho didn't like to get hit, and when he did he fought a safety first fight. Buddy will hit him, and he will make Camacho run and hold and ultimately lose.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I'll take the best Buddy at 140 (****** rematch), against the best Camacho at 140 (I'll say the Pazienza fight because Camacho and Davis both came in just over the jr welter limit) and here's why:

McGirt's biggest problem imo was stamina. The biggest struggles he had in fights came from the other guy outworking him with a gruelling workrate (first ****** fight and the Taylor fight being the prime examples at junior welter).

Hector quite simply didn't fight at gruelling paces like those guys. He flurried and moved and flurried and moved taking breathers between assaults. This I think will play into Buddy's hands because whenever he fought at a pace which allowed him to suck it up he performaed extremely well (fights with Brown, Oliva and the first Whitaker fight being the prime examples).

I see this fight going like Camacho-Rosario but with Buddy not taking as many punches as Rosario did. Hector will take an early lead and may even stun or wobble Buddy becuase of his superior handspeed, but sooner or later (and I think sooner rather than later) Buddy is going to start coming on with straight right hands and left hooks to the body and Camacho is going to be running and holding on, because McGirt is the bigger, stronger and more powerful of the two and Hector won't want to get into many exchanges with him. Like Rosario, Buddy has good power and a good right hand (the most effective punch against a southpaw) and he has better combination throwing ability than Rosario and defense as well, which will give him a bit of an edge in comparison to Rosario.

I see an 8-4 maybe 7-5 type of decision in McGirt's favour. Quite simply Camacho didn't like to get hit, and when he did he fought a safety first fight. Buddy will hit him, and he will make Camacho run and hold and ultimately lose.
good points,

but i think mcgirts tendency to keep his left hand low would have made him very open to camachos right jab. that would have broken his rhythem imo.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumdujour
good points,

but i think mcgirts tendency to keep his left hand low would have made him very open to camachos right jab. that would have broken his rhythem imo.
Perhaps, it would definitely be a pest to McGirt. But McGirt had subtle head movement and could slip jabs pretty well. Pernell Whitaker had a great jab but it didn't phase Buddy all that much. More problematic for McGirt was Whitaker's left hand once he started timing it over McGirt's straight right. I can see Camacho getting in a few solid pops on McGirt, but I think Buddy has the chin to take them and not get discouraged. Plus I don't think Camacho will be willing to stand in range enough to entrap McGirt into throwing rights and then countering with lefts with any of the consistency that Whitaker did. Could be wrong though.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum