Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Or was he not the puncher that Walcott and Moore were?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Smirf
Lets get ready to rumble

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Marciano is a legend BUT, he says he retires because there was noone out there to match him but he could have fought Patterson for the title, tbh i think Patterson would win unless the rock planted him on the chin
Smirf is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liston_Tyson
He could easily drop him. He was everything Rocky didnt want to face.
Explain?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think anything is possible. Although Marciano was tough as nails, he wasn't immune to being knocked down, and Patterson believe it or not, actually possesed quite a bit of punching ability for a smaller guy.

On a different note, I don't think Floyd would have beaten Rocky had they met around 1956. Marciano still had a lot of mementum, even at that point. Floyd was only 20 or 21 years of age, inexperienced, and only weighed around 178-180 Lbs. Sure, Rocky was right around that size as well, but he had the exerience of knocking out bigger men. I personally think Marciano's constant pressure, power, and savy would prove too much for an unseasoned Patterson.

My $0.02
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

I think that Patterson had the ability to edge out a decision against Marciano peak for peak, but I'd probably be amongst the minority in picking him.

I know alot of people will bring up the 'chin debate' but Marciano is stylistically speaking a smaller opponent, and less of an uphill struggle for Patterson than Liston was and I don't think Patterson would be as intimidated here. Patterson also has fine skill, speed and a good defense which makes this an interesting matchup. Marciano didn't hold nearly as many physical or fundamental advantages over Floyd that Liston did. To the question, could he drop Rocky? Absolutely!

Some mediocre boxers were outboxing Marciano up until they got KO'd so it's not ludicrous to think Patterson could also. I'll go against the grain and say Patterson, close UD (though a Marciano stoppage wouldn't surprise me in the least).
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Yes, Patterson could floor Marciano with a clean punch.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Patterson had a lot of power especially his left hook, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to knock Marciano down I think Floyd's power was similar to Walcott but more then Moore.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

I don't think Patterson was that far behind Walcott or Moore in terms of punching power, you could argue that he'd be around the same level, probably greater than Moore's (that left hook could be particularly chilling a la Patterson vs Johansson II).

Ps: Despite the afact that Patterson's chin is widely regarded as 'merely average' bear in mind that be rose from the canvas alot and in case of some of his defeats it took the kitchen sink to keep him down (Liston and Johansson both needed multiple knockdowns to seal the deal).
Old 02-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
joe33

vCash:

Yes but he would get up,would though patterson be able to take the rocks punches full on?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
I don't think Patterson was that far behind Walcott or Moore in terms of punching power, you could argue that he'd be around the same level, probably greater than Moore's (that left hook could be particularly chilling a la Patterson vs Johansson II).

Ps: Despite the afact that Patterson's chin is widely regarded as 'merely average' bear in mind that be rose from the canvas alot and in case of some of his defeats it took the kitchen sink to keep him down (Liston and Johansson both needed multiple knockdowns to seal the deal).
I agree 100%

Floyd Patterson is commonly misconstreud as lacking in durability, presumably as a result from his back to back KO losses to Liston. We have to consider that:

A. Liston was an all time great puncher in his prime

B. His style was a lethal match for Patterson

Its also not unreasonable to assume that Floyd may have been declining just a tad at that point as well, though he was still far from washed up.

I still think that a 1955 or 1956 matchup between Patterson and Marciano would result in a win for the Rock. We have to remember that Floyd was still a work in progress then. In my opinion, he really didn't reach his peak until right around the time that he avenged his defeats to Johansen. Even then, he may have been susceptible to crumbling against the pressure, power and durability of a swarmer/puncher like Marciano.

Anything could happen in this type of fight though.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Or was he not the puncher that Walcott and Moore were?
In 1956, a young Patterson's speed would surprise Marciano for an early knockdown.

The the Rock would get P.O. 'ed.

If Pete Rademacher could knock Floyd down, then imagine what would happen if the Rock began to rain "Suzie Q" grade right hands down on
Patterson.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Sam Silverman ,who promoted some of Rocky,s fights said he would look as bad against a journeyman as a top ranker.In order to fight Patterson ,Rocky would have had to wait a year for Patterson to season up,Rocky had grown tired of the training ,the bickering with his manager and he had a recurring back problem he got out at the right time.Prime for prime Patterson was more than capable of dropping Rocky,what he may have lacked in weight on his punches was compensated by his hand speed,keeping Marciano down would be the problem,plus weathering his all out assault for 15 rds,Floyd was dropped by fighters with much inferior power to Marciano.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Yeah I agree.

Most people will probably say Marciano knock's him out early-mid fight (basically because of what happened in the Liston fights), but I'm not as convinced that'd definitely be the case. Of course Patterson would have to be extremely foccused and 'box smart' but I can't see how he doesn't have a fair chance in this one providing he does, even if he gets dropped in the late rounds I think he'd survive (Liston and Marciano are too different animals IMO).
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
If Pete Rademacher could knock Floyd down...
I would love to see this oft-used tidbit completely blow to bits as a point of reference.
This was the young, green, off-balance Floyd. I've got the fight on tape and Patterson has this bemused, embarrassed grin on his face as soon as he went down. Although Pete looked pretty polished the first couple of rounds (he was I believe 27-28 years old at the time) this is one of the most one-sided fights you will ever see.

First his chin gets underrated and now I'm reading that his power is overrated as well? Read: if Patterson didn't have major punching power his career would be chock full of guys who just walked right thru him.
No one, and I mean no one, wanted to be on the end of his big left hook and that punch alone puts him ahead of Joe and certainly Archie.

The early green Floyd may not have beaten a 56 Rock.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Most people only remember what happened to Floyd when he fought Liston.

To refresh and inform, as the case may be, I would like to refer to the Ingo fights as well as to what happened to a certain Mr. Henry Cooper when he fought Patterson.

Patterson's power was comparable to Walcott's and Moore's. he certainly could have dropped Marciano.
abraq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum