Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

vCash: 999
Default Football Players Competing in MMA

Hey guys, how's it going? I don't know much about mma to be honest. I am more of a boxing fan. But I was curious, are there any former pro football players who are currently, or have been in mma that are somewhat successful? And in your guys' opinion, could a pro or former pro football player, if given sufficient time and training, become successful in mma? Thanks guys.

Btw, I am talking about American Football guys. Like collegiate and NFL.

Last edited by Charles White; 06-20-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Charles White is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

Default Re: Football Players Competing in MMA

Btw, the reason I ask is because I heard that Herschel Walker had a pro mma fight earlier this year and I just watched it recently, so it got me to thinking about other football players in mma.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

The results have been mixed; mostly because they usually are getting very late starts, although some do have wrestling backgrounds as well.

The last HW TUF season had several NFL and college players, with Matt Mitrione looking like the most talented of that group, and actually looking like an MMA fighter.

At the other end of the spectrum, is Johnny Morton.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppEvQjf75Cc[/ame]
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Morton was a tin can who liked the idea of playing a "tough man". He was also on a boat load of gear.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
The results have been mixed; mostly because they usually are getting very late starts, although some do have wrestling backgrounds as well.

The last HW TUF season had several NFL and college players, with Matt Mitrione looking like the most talented of that group, and actually looking like an MMA fighter.

Matt's fight against Junk was the worse fight I have ever witnessed in all of combat sport......it was truly a pathetic fight.
BORKED

In my honest opinion, Rugby players especially Rugby League players would do very well in MMA. These guys are practically trained in all aspects of MMA, most Rugby teams nowadays have their own boxing coach, wrestling coaches, BJJ coaches etc. All these in a very brutal game with a higher endurance/cardio requirement than the NFL.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

Quote:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think its clear that a pro football player has a much better chance crossing over into mma then boxing. His strengths are more directly use for in mma fighter. Raw strength comes into mma more then boxing (not saying a mma guy doesn't need skills.) But what u do in football is a bit more useful for mma...being able to tackle in football isn't the same as a take down...but its not totally different. A football guy is going to be competive in mma easier then he could be in boxing.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Morton was a tin can who liked the idea of playing a "tough man". He was also on a boat load of gear.
Yes, yes he was.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Matt's fight against Junk was the worse fight I have ever witnessed in all of combat sport......it was truly a pathetic fight.

In my honest opinion, Rugby players especially Rugby League players would do very well in MMA. These guys are practically trained in all aspects of MMA, most Rugby teams nowadays have their own boxing coach, wrestling coaches, BJJ coaches etc. All these in a very brutal game with a higher endurance/cardio requirement than the NFL.
He looked much better in his last fight though, not a contender but looks like an MMA fighter rather than a football player fighting MMA.

Rugby players aren't going to be much better or worse; they train to play rugby first and foremost and would need to totally change their training to fight in MMA.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think running backs, line backers, receivers, and safeties could transition well. The earlier the better.

Still, nothing beats being in a sport. As MMA gets more refined you are going to start seeing it be impossible for guys to switch over and have more than C class success.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
I think running backs, line backers, receivers, and safeties could transition well. The earlier the better.

Still, nothing beats being in a sport. As MMA gets more refined you are going to start seeing it be impossible for guys to switch over and have more than C class success.
How about lineman?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles White View Post
Btw, the reason I ask is because I heard that Herschel Walker had a pro mma fight earlier this year and I just watched it recently, so it got me to thinking about other football players in mma.

Strikeforce really needs to stop pushing Herschel Walker. The guy is a physical specimen for age, but he's going to take a nasty beating that I'd rather not watch if he ever goes up against someone who's even halfway decent.

As for legit MMA fighters who have experience playing football at a high level, Matt Mitrione and Brendan Schaub both look like they have a lot of potential.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Rugby players aren't going to be much better or worse; they train to play rugby first and foremost and would need to totally change their training to fight in MMA.

However a huge component of Rugby is being able to control the tackled player when on the ground, this entails submission like moves and joint and body manipulation in order to slow the play the ball. This is why most top Rugby (League especially) teams now employ Olympic Judo and Wrestlers, and also top BJJ instructors.

NFL on the other hand, the tackle is complete once the player hits the ground.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
KMFO
Journeyman

vCash: 500

What did Schaub play in football? He looks pretty lean to me, for a football player anyway...
KMFO is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

He played fullback according to Wikipedia.
Beebs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum