boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #31
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlow, UK
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 922
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
I don't care who put him there if Khan fights for the title within the next couple of fights
If you know he is undeserving of the ranking, why do you keep bringing it up like it means something? Khan getting a genuine title shot by beating obviously over ranked (and over matched) opponents will leave a bad taste in my mouth. If Khan is good enough to be fast tracked to the top, he should be more than happy facing Romanov rather than Kristjansen, plain and simple.
This idea of "who cares who he fights as long as he gets a title shot" is not what boxing is about for me. Khan should be clearing all obstacles in his path rather than dodging them.
Claypole is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #32
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Ricky Hatton was a international world class amateur but not an olympic medalist.

Both Witter and Woods came from nowhere to become contenders and were afforded nowhere near as much hype as Khan.

And Lennox Lewis was on his second world champion by his sixteenth fight.
So ****ing what? This is the pro game, it's a whole new world

I don't see the hype as being relevant, I just ignore it and mute the commentary and draw my own conclusions. With that hype comes pressure and expectation. It's a double edged sword

He's 21 years old, and he's done a hell of a lot more than any of our current champions had, barring Haye who is praised for his aggressive matchmaking. Sorry, I'm still not getting mad about it. I'd rather he fought Romanov, but he's still well on track
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #33
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
3 of which never amounted to much, so that's hardly a convincing argument
Just for reference the fighters I chose were Naseem Hamed World featherweight champion, David Haye world cruiserweight champion, Carl Johansson British and central area champion, Terry Dunstan Former european champion and world title challenger and Paul Weir the three time WBO champion. But don't mind them- they never amounted to much

Last edited by ajohnfp; 02-25-2007 at 01:31 AM.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #34
Grievesy
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 309
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
If you know he is undeserving of the ranking, why do you keep bringing it up like it means something? Khan getting a genuine title shot by beating obviously over ranked (and over matched) opponents will leave a bad taste in my mouth. If Khan is good enough to be fast tracked to the top, he should be more than happy facing Romanov rather than Kristjansen, plain and simple.
This idea of "who cares who he fights as long as he gets a title shot" is not what boxing is about for me. Khan should be clearing all obstacles in his path rather than dodging them.
I totally agree. I'd much rather see him fight and hopefully beat the best in his division rather than just get a fast track to a title.
Grievesy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #35
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North London
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 75
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Jeff i lost alot of respect for the things you say on here after that, fact is Thaxton could have fought Khan Feb 2nd and prices himself out. Romanov will win this so easy and then Khan will beat Romanov, killing two birds with one stone before fighting for the world title.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #36
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Khan is pulling a Hatton. He is flagrantly ducking a legit challenge and leap frogging hurdles because of a powerful promoter.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #37
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Jeff i lost alot of respect for the things you say on here after that, fact is Thaxton could have fought Khan Feb 2nd and prices himself out. Romanov will win this so easy and then Khan will beat Romanov, killing two birds with one stone before fighting for the world title.
If its that easy to lose respect for me because I have a different opinion to you then mate its no loss. Khan can ko both of them in the first round but it still doesn't hide the fact he's been been mollycoddled to a world title. This is not about whether or not Khan can fight its about exploiting people and the fight game itself when he could be so influential in making boxing great again.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #38
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
fact is Thaxton could have fought Khan Feb 2nd and prices himself out. Romanov will win this so easy and then Khan will beat Romanov, killing two birds with one stone before fighting for the world title.
Thaxton fighting Khan Feb 2nd and pricing himself out is NOT fact Rob.

What IS fact is that Khan withdrew as Thaxton's mandatory.

Thaxton has since gone on record saying he was not made an official offer outside of the purse bid process.

We now know that Hennessy also have links with ITV so it blows the theory out the water that Khan was withdrawn because of his exclusive ITV deal.

So you think Romanov will beat Thaxton easily? You may well be right but full credit to Thaxton for at least having the bottle to get in there with him which is more than Khan and his handlers seem prepared to do - despite all the talk and name dropping for the last two fights.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #39
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Just for reference the fighters I chose were Naseem Hamed World featherweight champion, David Haye world cruiserweight champion, Carl Johansson British and central area champion, Terry Dunstan Former european champion and world title challenger and Paul Weir the three time WBO champion. But don't mind them- they never amounted to much
No, I said the latter 3 never amounted to much

Johanesson and Dunstan are garbage. I think Khan should and will achieve higher, so I'm not too concerned he hasn't taken their route to 'glory'
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #40
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Thaxton fighting Khan Feb 2nd and pricing himself out is NOT fact Rob.

What IS fact is that Khan withdrew as Thaxton's mandatory.

Thaxton has since gone on record saying he was not made an official offer outside of the purse bid process.

We now know that Hennessy also have links with ITV so it blows the theory out the water that Khan was withdrawn because of his exclusive ITV deal.

So you think Romanov will beat Thaxton easily? You may well be right but full credit to Thaxton for at least having the bottle to get in there with him which is more than Khan and his handlers seem prepared to do - despite all the talk and name dropping for the last two fights.
Careful he will lose respect for you
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #41
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Johanesson and Dunstan are garbage.
And on that note you cease to be a respected poster. You know nothing about either... bar perhaps looking at there records on boxrec.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #42
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North London
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 75
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Ever since Olympic boxing has been going the guys that won medals have got larger made more money due to having bigger fan bases. Same thing happened with Lewis, Ali, Lenoard, even bums like Harrison made more than World Champions have done in their Career.

I just think people should leave Khan alone its not his fault, plus who can critisice a guy for fighting the WBO#2 contender. Thaxton would be a step back, letting him fight romanov is the best thing that could happen for Khan as now he only has to beat Romanov to proove people on here wrong, not 2 journeyman just one!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #43
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
And on that note you cease to be a respected poster. You know nothing about either... bar perhaps looking at there records on boxrec.
I'm not too bothered about your respect, but considering you just got your little panties in a twist when some other bloke said that you look a bit of a knob

Carl Johanneson doesn't even have the bottle to fight a domestic opponent. He didn't even look like he was trying to make weight, he's a waste of space

Dunstan...very very average in terms of world level

They hardly represent rolemodels for Khan's route to glory. I'd say Hatton/Calzaghe are far better comparisons. As I've pointed out, Khan is ahead of them, and is a lot younger, so he is doing absolutely fine
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #44
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

journeyman LOL Go back on holiday!
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #45
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlow, UK
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 922
Default Re: Everything wrong about boxing preceded by everything right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Carl Johanneson doesn't even have the bottle to fight a domestic opponent.
Michael Gomez would probably disagree with you.
Claypole is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015