janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries vs. Finnegan

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Ruhlin was ,when he was on form ,a world class fighter of the time,his problem was his inconsistancy,
He was more then than he is now.

Everybody today asumes that Tom Sharkey was a level above Gus Rhulin but I have seen contemporary newspaper clippings sayning that Rhulin was a level above Sharkey.

Quote:
I see nothing in Munroes record to suggest he was world class,wins over a shot Sharkey and Maher ,don,t persuade me
What would you see in Gerry Cooney's record to suggest that he was world class looking back in 100 years time?

Quote:
Your news paper clipping of the Finnegan fight shows what a farce it was ,it makes the Tyson Mcneely debacle look good.
Such farces can ocasionaly happen even when two ranked contenders meet. It only takes one fighter to have a panic attack.

Imagine a 100 year old cliping of Lewis McCall II as your only reference to the fight.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

He was more then than he is now.

Everybody today asumes that Tom Sharkey was a level above Gus Rhulin but I have seen contemporary newspaper clippings sayning that Rhulin was a level above Sharkey.

What would you see in Gerry Cooney's record to suggest that he was world class looking back in 100 years time?

Such farces can ocasionaly happen even when two ranked contenders meet. It only takes one fighter to have a panic attack.

Imagine a 100 year old cliping of Lewis McCall II as your only reference to the fight.
I thought Ruhlin looked good against Jeffries,mobile and fast ,but what do I know?Sharkey ,on the little film we have looks a one paced plodder ,tough no doubt ,but not a lot of variety there imo.As for Cooney well he was fed a well digested crowd of no hopers and well over the hill names whose ambition ,like their condition ,had eroded.but he had a world class punch in that left hook as Foreman commented ,"it made my legs do funny things",and Cooney put up a brave display against Holmes after a shaky start.If a hundred years time someone watches the Lewis McCall fight ,I think they will wonder why not only does McCall not go down he shows no reaction to Lewis,s punches,a bit different to Munroe after he was tagged by Jeff.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

My guess regarding Jeffries-Finnegan is that Jeffries wanted some work before he met Corbett. I suspect it was a legit fight -- I don't know whether the title was on the line -- and that Jeffries planned to do enough to win, but didn't want to KO Finnegan, at least not early. When Finnegan's management tried to bust Jeffries balls, Jeff decided that he'd embarass their fighter, who might otherwise have gotten some good press. (The Munroe fight was a similar situation).
Notice the press though Jeffries was heavy. Jeff had been touring Europe and having a good time. I think he was looking at Finnegan as some tune-up work.
Any ways, this is what I'm supposing.

Nicholson (9. 87) says Jeffries admired Kennedy's pluck and invited him to be a camp mate.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah
My guess regarding Jeffries-Finnegan is that Jeffries wanted some work before he met Corbett. I suspect it was a legit fight -- I don't know whether the title was on the line -- and that Jeffries planned to do enough to win, but didn't want to KO Finnegan, at least not early. When Finnegan's management tried to bust Jeffries balls, Jeff decided that he'd embarass their fighter, who might otherwise have gotten some good press. (The Munroe fight was a similar situation).
Notice the press though Jeffries was heavy. Jeff had been touring Europe and having a good time. I think he was looking at Finnegan as some tune-up work.

Nicholson (9. 87) says Jeffries admired Kennedy's pluck and invited him to be a camp mate.
If the Finnegan was ,as has been said, only 3 weeks before the Corbett fight ,you would assume Jeff was in pretty good shape ,wouldnt you?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah

But was Jeffries vs Kennedy a real fight or not? The Almanac, boxing cards, and press indicate it was a legit Ko win.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Finnegan(Apr 6) was about five weeks before the Corbett fight (May 11). I might be misremembering the European touring, though -- that might have been more before the Sharkey fight. Let me do some looking up. . . .
Yeah, the European tour was before Sharkey II. Between Sharkey and Corbett, Jeffries did a lot of theatrical touring. It's certainly understandable that, if he'd been devoting significant time to theatre and hadn't fought for a year, Jeffries would think a tune-up fight advisable before meeting Corbett.
guilalah is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum