Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1195
Default Latest on Briggsy (article Feb 22)

Just found this its a good read... I dunno what to make of his career now. Heres some parts i picked out...

THE softly spoken words from his seven-year-old son shook Paul Briggs more than any blow in his almost 100 fights.
"Dad, I never want you to fight again," Isaiah pleaded.
There was was silence, broken only by the waves crashing against the front of the barge.
"It was one of those defining moments in life," Paul `Hurricane' Briggs recounted yesterday.

One of Australia's most successful boxers of the past decade is at the crossroads. There is even a chance he has already taken the off-ramp leaving the fight game, with all its highs and lows, behind.
Briggs doesn't know. Only time will decide.
He says he hasn't retired, but almost every thought he verbalises says he has.
"My family is my focus now, my number one focus," he says.

But just when you think you have a bead on Briggs, that 'The Hurricane' has blown out, he smiles, and the warrior within emerges.
"The trouble is that I am a walking contradiction," he admits.
"I truly believe I have one fight left in me, one big fight, my best fight and that fight is Danny Green.
"Forget the Mundine-Green farce. This would be a real fight. Green and I would stand on each other's toes and bite the other's face off.
"We have sparred a lot together and even our sparring sessions are wars -- ruptured muscles and broken bones. We just stand there punching each other and yelling at each other.

Heres the full article:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
daz52 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Latest on Briggsy (article Feb 22)

Briggs has become very philosophical in the last couple of years. I can see him resisting the temptation to fight again, and not live with regret. I'd be happy if he decided to hang up the gloves.

Though like Briggs, I'll also be a bit contradictory and say that I'd love for him to score a fight with Green also.

Last edited by Mercury4; 02-26-2007 at 04:22 AM.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Bentchassis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I don't presume Briggs is financially strapped, but did he make enough out of the Adamek fights to call it a day and relinquish the chance of a pay day?
Bentchassis is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTCHASSIS
I don't presume Briggs is financially strapped, but did he make enough out of the Adamek fights to call it a day and relinquish the chance of a pay day?
I don't think he got too much out of the Adamek fights to be honest.

He got around 200k for the first one, but spent a lot of it on moving, and taking care of his family in the US, training, etc. He mentions something about it in his book, and in the end, he wasn't left with much.

I don't think he got much at all for the 2nd Adamek fight. I'd say definitely under 100k. Adamek only got around 30k for the first one.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Bentchassis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Christ, most of that must be gone by now too. I must admit I'd hate to see him bow out, but unless the unlikely Green fight eventuates, I cant see any top 10 guys giving him a shot.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
pecks
East Side Guru

I should have added that Don King is one greedy cunt.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Bentchassis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ha ha very true
Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

numerous stpries are told that briggs has no money and I believe owes money in the usa hence his return to oz. feel sorry for him if that's the case and to a large extent would blame king.

in this frame of mind easy ko win for green. he states one fight left (ie payday) which is very dangerous and also means it probably won't happen as he will want too much money when, in all due respect, he offers green nothing.
shiner is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

when they sparred,briggs went live on air t say on radio that green touched him up,and that he would back up in 2 days and come good.2 days later at fenechs gym,green basically knocked him out.fenech and billy hussein apparently had to hold him up from dropping again.since then,early o3,their careers have gone in different paths.briggs losing to adamek and then having tough time with middleweight asweigan,then more than 1 year off.green belted beyer,belted lucas,dehydrated with sullivan,lost to beyer,came back with cuban and new team,won two,lost handily to mundine,came back and moved up,kod 2 world title challengers then a top 15 opponent,then won the wba world title.i dont think briggs can expect much of a payday,and even less of a showing,he WAS a tough son of a gun with good skill,but is way past it and has a handbrake with lewis in his corner,if he fights again.time will tell,hope he has set himself up a bit,although i dont think he has earnd much from the game .you get what you put in,as in all aspects of life.
shiner is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Da_Hurricane_Briggs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Briggs has endorsement deals with Shadowboxer and Vitaman and is sponsored by a Nissan Dealer in Qld somewhere who pays him to cover training costs as well as his work with Fox Sports and now runs a Personal Training company "Team Briggs " he also released a book .

When I interviewed him in the past after the first adamek fight and after he appeared on the Poker show on Fox he said he has had some interest from tv networks ...so he may pick up something from there .

Hey Kostya Tzsyu gets Tv gigs and cant even speak english
Da_Hurricane_Briggs is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

It's a damn shame, but I think it's time for Briggsy to hang 'em up.

He and Green are my 2 favourite fighters, and I would love to see them square off in the ring for a title bout, but after reading his book, and reading this article (among others) I think the fight has finally left Paul - I seriously believe he was driven by his demons for many years, and that marriage and kids has finally allowed him to find peace.

A fight with Green would not be good - Greeny's on his way up at LHW, and although they are (apparently) good mates, I don't want to see Briggs get ****ed up in a fight that would really only represent $$$ for him.

Green is hungry, Briggs is not, he needs to bow out and make sure he's there for his wife and kids - from all accounts, he's in heaven with his family, I just hope he's not so strapped for cash that he has to fight again

WAR Briggsy!!! But Green would cane him now

PS - yeah, Don King has a way of ****ing up his fighter's lives.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner
when they sparred,briggs went live on air t say on radio that green touched him up,and that he would back up in 2 days and come good.2 days later at fenechs gym,green basically knocked him out.fenech and billy hussein apparently had to hold him up from dropping again.since then,early o3,their careers have gone in different paths.briggs losing to adamek and then having tough time with middleweight asweigan,then more than 1 year off.green belted beyer,belted lucas,dehydrated with sullivan,lost to beyer,came back with cuban and new team,won two,lost handily to mundine,came back and moved up,kod 2 world title challengers then a top 15 opponent,then won the wba world title.i dont think briggs can expect much of a payday,and even less of a showing,he WAS a tough son of a gun with good skill,but is way past it and has a handbrake with lewis in his corner,if he fights again.time will tell,hope he has set himself up a bit,although i dont think he has earnd much from the game .you get what you put in,as in all aspects of life.

shiner

It was the ropes that saved paul from hitting the deck Billy and Jeff didn't need to get involved

They had a short stoppage and continued with body shots only

was a war
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

distinctly rememba bein told that billy and jeff jumpd in to hold him up,had a breather then finished off the round they were in,which was the 8th, with light body shots,then it was called off.if it was a fight,he wouldnt a made the count withiut ref saying all ova apparently,but to the hard cunt briggs credit,he came back stronger that ever a few days later.remember this info like yesterday cause it was open session and i couldnt get there,and would have luvd to ave seen it.
shiner is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I was there and it was the ropes

not being a smart@rse just letting you know what I saw
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Doesnt surprise me that Danny beat him up. Green has better skill and is a little bit quicker. In my opinion Green wins every time.
teke is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum