Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
04eta
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Parker TKO2 Botha

Good result. Did he call out SBW after the fight????
04eta is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I haven't actually seen it, am just hanging out for the video.

Not a fight SBW should take I don't think. It's simply unreasonable to expect any fighter to be taking big fights as soon as they start pro boxing, let alone when it's the first boxing of any sort that they've done in their life.

Really I can't see what fight SBW can reasonably take. He will get ridiculed if he fights cans yet cans are all that a part-time fighter with no amateur experience SHOULD be fighting. He's in a hopeless situation.

Would be a huge event if it happened though.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Hydro11
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree with SBW. People will be clambering for him to fight Parker but he will be hugely up against it. I thought Parker would win given that SBW won and Parker has far more experience. I did not, however, expect to see that sort of power from Parker.

You can't be a part time boxer and realistically expect to be able to compete with the best. I think we may not SBW in another serious fight. He has to realise that he just can't do it unless he gives up rugby altogether.
Hydro11 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
04eta
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

What's the story with Parker - any amateur experience?
04eta is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04eta View Post
What's the story with Parker - any amateur experience?
He is touted as having significant amateur experience but never quite did it on the big stages. I think he won 1 fight at the 2010 Commonwealth games but lost the next (he was only 18 though) and then failed to qualify for the Olympics last year, which hastened his decision to turn pro.

I know funny results happen in the amateurs, but I'm still scratching my head as to how some random Kiwi bloke no-one has ever heard of beat Parker in the Olympic trials.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post
He is touted as having significant amateur experience but never quite did it on the big stages. I think he won 1 fight at the 2010 Commonwealth games but lost the next (he was only 18 though) and then failed to qualify for the Olympics last year, which hastened his decision to turn pro.

I know funny results happen in the amateurs, but I'm still scratching my head as to how some random Kiwi bloke no-one has ever heard of beat Parker in the Olympic trials.
That random amateur bloke who beat Joseph at the trials is Uaine Fa who has been fighting on the world amateur scene for a while and is quite a good fighter. The difference is Joseph got more media exposure due to him turning pro early. Uaine will be one to watch also when he turns pro!
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongee90 View Post
That random amateur bloke who beat Joseph at the trials is Uaine Fa who has been fighting on the world amateur scene for a while and is quite a good fighter. The difference is Joseph got more media exposure due to him turning pro early. Uaine will be one to watch also when he turns pro!
Well that would explain it.

I'm quite familiar with Fa (due to his WSB participation) while Parker on the other hand I've never heard of until this week and only because it was brought to my attention that he was scheduled to face Botha. You'll likely find this is the norm outside that corner of the globe - Fa is far more internationally known than Parker.

Whatever greater media exposure Parker got was limited to Aus/NZ.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Parker is a junior Olympic medalist. Silver from memory
Jear is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Berliner
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongee90 View Post
Nope Fa is not really good. I saw how he lost against german Cruiserweight Ahmatovic at the WSB. Dont looks very good. Parker looks much better now.
Berliner is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Zacker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 214

Parker boxed WSB in Asia and did ok but not great. Fa was in asia too before he went to the bravehearts. Just by looking at them, Parker is the better prospect of the two imo. Parker has a bronze in the junior worlds where he lost to Hrgovic, he lost to that big chinese in the worlds (can't recall his name atm but aussies will remember him because he KOd the australian in the olympics, Linde) and turned pro when he missed out in the olympic trials. Short amateur career and not without some dedication problems if I recall correctly. But Parker has been talked about for years already.
Zacker is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post

Well that would explain it.

I'm quite familiar with Fa (due to his WSB participation) while Parker on the other hand I've never heard of until this week and only because it was brought to my attention that he was scheduled to face Botha. You'll likely find this is the norm outside that corner of the globe - Fa is far more internationally known than Parker.

Whatever greater media exposure Parker got was limited to Aus/NZ.
My apologies, I got way outside my lane there making assumptions about amateurs.

Still, it's an interesting case study how Parker headlined a PPV last night and will probably be the most talked about SPORTSMAN in the whole of NZ today. I'm not aware of Fa every having any exposure in mainstream NZ media. I'm not quite sure in retrospect why I should've cared about Parker's fight or what he has ever done to warrant a headline spot on PPV, but that's the effect of getting hooked up with a (locally) well known promoter I guess.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacker View Post
Parker boxed WSB in Asia and did ok but not great. Fa was in asia too before he went to the bravehearts. Just by looking at them, Parker is the better prospect of the two imo. Parker has a bronze in the junior worlds where he lost to Hrgovic, he lost to that big chinese in the worlds (can't recall his name atm but aussies will remember him because he KOd the australian in the olympics, Linde) and turned pro when he missed out in the olympic trials. Short amateur career and not without some dedication problems if I recall correctly. But Parker has been talked about for years already.
Doesn't appear to be too many dedication problems atm. He weighed his lightest ever for Botha (wouldn't want to get any lighter tbh, he's bordering on skinny) and if his twitter is to be believed all he does his train- Kevin Barry said as much as well.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum