Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Young Terror
O.G
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 935
Default Matt Korobov.

Some years ago this dude was in every major Top Rank card and was supposed to be the next big thing at MW.

In the last couple of years i haven't heard or seen any of him.

Whatever happened to this dude?
Young Terror is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
antonio8904
Atheist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Between Rula Jebreal's thighs...
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Management/trainer/contract issues I believe. He was being moved along nicely and seemed like he could be something but as far as his development and comp is concerned he's gone completely backwards. He needs a new trainer and a new team around him. I think he's a lost cause at this point tho, has looked like shit in his last fights...
antonio8904 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
pistal47
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beantown
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 75
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Just too average, man. Didn't look very impressive in many of his outings, I don't see him doing much in his career, and he's already getting up there in age.
pistal47 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
MUFC
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Same question could be asked of heavyweight Mike Perez...
MUFC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
p.falk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Korobov is a massive let down.
Cameron Dunkin is on facebook and he responded to my question as to whether Matt is going to fight this year. he said "in a couple of months" that he'd have his next fight. That was the beginning of June.
So, if he is going to fight in August and no opponent is even mentioned yet, you can be certain it will be another bum.
p.falk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,936
vCash: 622
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Yep -- P Falk has it right. Massive let down. I remember watching Matt when he had just a few fights. He destroyed journeyman who had 25-30 fights and some decent wins. He really looked like the real deal back then, but now???? Who knows.
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Terror View Post
Some years ago this dude was in every major Top Rank card and was supposed to be the next big thing at MW.

In the last couple of years i haven't heard or seen any of him.

Whatever happened to this dude?
I was questioning that these days......man, I remember he was talked like the next big thing !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
itliangladiator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 453
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

He was trained...still might be...by Mike McCallum. Matt was training out of Texas at one point and didn't want to move to Las Vegas, where McCallum, Dunkin, and Top Rank reside. I think he was one of those Russian standouts who came from a poor background and trained his ass off in the amateurs for years and just got burnt out. He turned pro at an old age too.
itliangladiator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.falk View Post
Korobov is a massive let down.
Cameron Dunkin is on facebook and he responded to my question as to whether Matt is going to fight this year. he said "in a couple of months" that he'd have his next fight. That was the beginning of June.
So, if he is going to fight in August and no opponent is even mentioned yet, you can be certain it will be another bum.
He was supposed to fight on the Rigo-Rios and Pac-Bradley cards but hasn't fought at all this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itliangladiator View Post
He was trained...still might be...by Mike McCallum. Matt was training out of Texas at one point and didn't want to move to Las Vegas, where McCallum, Dunkin, and Top Rank reside. I think he was one of those Russian standouts who came from a poor background and trained his ass off in the amateurs for years and just got burnt out. He turned pro at an old age too.
He lives in Florida with his family who he was seperated from since age 13 i believe, they moved to America and he stayed in Russia for his boxing career. He was like 26, he's 29 now. He's 17-0 and has lots of time to make a career still but Top Rank is ****ing garbage.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
arve lie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Korobov was very impressive in the first fights he is ranked, been for a while but yes it seemed like everything stopped. Hope he get back on tracks
arve lie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
He was supposed to fight on the Rigo-Rios and Pac-Bradley cards but hasn't fought at all this year.



He lives in Florida with his family who he was seperated from since age 13 i believe, they moved to America and he stayed in Russia for his boxing career. He was like 26, he's 29 now. He's 17-0 and has lots of time to make a career still but Top Rank is ****ing garbage.
I don't know how much I blame TR. I wonder if something's been going on in his personal life?

Honestly just a couple of decent wins and he'd be at the top of the rankings. The man knows how to fight better than most of the ranked MW's out there, it's just a matter of when he's ready, either physically (the surgeries) or mentally. He's missed what would've been two fights already this year (April on the Rios card and June on Pac's), but even if he had one or two fights this year (Sept & Dec) that were 10 rounders against someone like Brian Vera and Alvin Ayala, his career will still be looking bright.
Eastcoast is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,695
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

i asked this question here a few months ago...

korobov has skills. unless he's been abusing drugs...or has been getting his ass beat in the gym...or he has some sort of drinking problem or something...i can't see him changing much. all i know is that i'd love to see him fight again.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Crivasevo87
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Smile Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprofessor View Post
i asked this question here a few months ago...

korobov has skills. unless he's been abusing drugs...or has been getting his ass beat in the gym...or he has some sort of drinking problem or something...i can't see him changing much. all i know is that i'd love to see him fight again.
Hello How are you?
I am actually a friend and former sparring partner for Matt Korobov. He lives in south Florida, he is the most disciplined fighter I have ever met. Matt is very clean trains very hard and is an amazing boxer. Recently in the past he has had management/ promotional issues, but has been active this year. Fought back in Feb. and won by k.o and is fighting tonight to be exact. Matt will make it to the top eventually as long as he keeps K.o opponents and remains undefeated. He is a very nice kid, his dad is an amazing person and like I said great work habit's and again very very disciplined.
Crivasevo87 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 79
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crivasevo87 View Post
Hello How are you?
I am actually a friend and former sparring partner for Matt Korobov. He lives in south Florida, he is the most disciplined fighter I have ever met. Matt is very clean trains very hard and is an amazing boxer. Recently in the past he has had management/ promotional issues, but has been active this year. Fought back in Feb. and won by k.o and is fighting tonight to be exact. Matt will make it to the top eventually as long as he keeps K.o opponents and remains undefeated. He is a very nice kid, his dad is an amazing person and like I said great work habit's and again very very disciplined.
Good to hear it. I really believed Korobov had world class potential, so the last couple years have been frustrating watching his career stagnate. Hopefully he can get the momentum back starting tonight and the managerial/promotional issues are behind him. Best of luck to him!
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 75
Default Re: Matt Korobov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.falk View Post
Korobov is a massive let down.
Cameron Dunkin is on facebook and he responded to my question as to whether Matt is going to fight this year. he said "in a couple of months" that he'd have his next fight. That was the beginning of June.
So, if he is going to fight in August and no opponent is even mentioned yet, you can be certain it will be another bum.
I saw korobov struggle w a bum at the Honda center.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013