boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
barmyboy

vCash: 500
Default Arthritis concern

Hi all,

I am keen on training up to participate in a white collar bout but I have concerns about arthritis. Around 8 years ago I developed arthritis in my right big toe from running and football (soccer). I can still do circuits and high intensity plyo workouts and I’m not so much worried about the toe, the condition is called “Hallux Rigidus.”

However, my mum and grandma both have serious arthritis in their hands. Do you think I could be in danger of developing this if I train up for a bout, considering that it runs in the family? I would love to fight but the thought of developing arthritis in my hands is a worrying one.

Many thanks,

Barmy Boy
barmyboy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
lucky luke

Default Re: Arthritis concern

boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=449503

Here's a "disscution" on the matter.

Id recommend you to ask a doctor or youll end up with a tread like the one above
lucky luke is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyboy View Post
Hi all,

I am keen on training up to participate in a white collar bout but I have concerns about arthritis. Around 8 years ago I developed arthritis in my right big toe from running and football (soccer). I can still do circuits and high intensity plyo workouts and I’m not so much worried about the toe, the condition is called “Hallux Rigidus.”

However, my mum and grandma both have serious arthritis in their hands. Do you think I could be in danger of developing this if I train up for a bout, considering that it runs in the family? I would love to fight but the thought of developing arthritis in my hands is a worrying one.

Many thanks,

Barmy Boy
If arthritis is that big of a preoccupation then you probably shouldn't do it. Certain sports require a "damn the torpedoes" mentality when it comes to injuries...especially those that haven't happened yet. Boxing is one of them.

Last edited by Son of Gaul; 07-04-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
If arthritis is that big of a preoccupation then you probably shouldn't do it. Certain sports require a "damn the torpedoes" mentality when it comes to injuries...especially those that having happened yet. Boxing is one of them.
I agree.
Had a concussion or two, and developed arthritis in both thumbs after only 2 yrs of training & competing. There will undoubtedly be more injuries and possible longterm effects, especially for those competing longer. But this is something you have to accept - nevertheless, try your best to minimize them, but accept them - or basically quit. It's a rough sport - no way around that. Just know that once you start, it's really hard to quit.

And I also agree, a doctor's advice is probably what you should be looking for. Internet forums are possibly the worst place to seek medical advice.

Good luck in your decision.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Ipay4leavingNot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have no clue how boxing could cause one to get arthritis. People get arthritis all the time who never lace up gloves. If there is any real scientific information proving this I am open to hearing it out, but anecdotely it makes absolutely no sense.

Boxing is a sport where you can end up like gerald mccellan or wilfredo beneitiez from just 1 punch. Yes it is rare, but injuries on a whole are not rare. Detached retina, bursted ear drums, broken ribs, concussions, broken nose, busted lip, pains in your side that do not go away related to if someone drills you in the side, and I have noticed in several family members who were boxers that they have unexplained rage and mood swing issues that did not exist before they boxed. The other poster is right, boxing is a sport where injuries be damned men go for the glory. In terms of injuries its on par with an extreme sport.
Ipay4leavingNot is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
SteelShoulders
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

cmon man do you think throwing your hands at a heavybag or another person is good for them? Boxing's a sport that almost always ends with ****ed up hands no matter how into it you are
SteelShoulders is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing