Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998
Default Re: Calendar of Major Boxing Events for the rest of 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I remember hearing Pong "unretire" before a fight a couple weeks/months ago.

Tis the way of boxing, but it seems Asian fighters stick to their word slightly more than Americans/Europeans.
It's crazy how Nashiro is a decade long veteran and seemed "past it" as far back as the losses to Suriyan Por Chokchai and Tomas Rojas in '11...if not the Cazares rematch to end his second run as WBA lord of the super flies in 2010 - yet he still only has a novice's ledger. 19-5-1? Looking at that you wouldn't think he was entering his eleventh legit world title match.

He may be an older 31 than Denkaosan Kaovichit's 36, having been in far more wars against generally superior opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post

Tis the way of boxing, but it seems Asian fighters stick to their word slightly more than Americans/Europeans.
I am dreading the legacy trampling return of Gerry Penalosa.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
IronJawSouthPaw
My style is impetious.
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post

July
  • 7/19 Friday night - Ajose Olusegun vs. Mercito Gesta
Gesta pulled out due to an injury. Hank Lundy will take his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by des3995 View Post
Now get a sticky up on this beyotch please.
IronJawSouthPaw is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJawSouthPaw View Post
Gesta pulled out due to an injury. Hank Lundy will take his place.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
The 17 of August should be called: The Day We Established The Number 3 Fighter In The Division (or maybe something a bit more catchy)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Stefan Johnson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Andy Ruiz, Jr. fights fellow heavyweight Joe Hanks in China on 7/27/13, which is on the undercard of an HBO show. I'm pretty sure it won't be aired, however. But it looks like it should be a decent fight between two unbeaten heavyweights.
Stefan Johnson is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
For each card I am listing only the bout that either headlines or is by my reckoning the most notable/significant. (not everyone may agree, which is fine as it really is subjective...but it's my calendar so tough shit.. )

So in the case of stacked double/triple/quadruple-headers only the "major attraction" - IMHO - will be mentioned. It would simply take up too much space to include everything. Also, the "major attraction" may not always be synonymous with the nominal main event.
Quote:
Yeah, I only put one 'featured' bout from each card...otherwise it would get too clunky.

Thurman vs. Chaves is nice but it doesn't outshine Berto vs. Soto Karass for me.

There are, however, definitely examples where an undercard standout merits a shout more than its bill-topper. For instance, the intriguing trans-Atlantic heavyweight clash Dereck Chisora vs. Malik Scott is a mere 10-rounder with nothing technically at stake although it could be a springboard to a big payday - and in theory it's subordinate to a trio of 12-rounders for minor WBO trinkets involving mostly just domestic British Isles talent. Another case is Arthur Abraham vs. Wilbeforce Shihepo, a no-hardware affair playing second banana to Juergen Braehmer defending his Euro title. The opponent they dug up for Braehmer is a joke (Italian light heavy champ; big fish in a little pond) while Abraham - more of a big name internationally than Braehmer to begin with - is actually in the more competitive match-up coming off his emasculating defeat by Robert Stieglitz. The unheralded Namibian may have an ugly record but he does hold the distinction of having dealt Isaac Chilemba his first - and until a few weeks ago, only - professional loss. All six of Shihepo's half dozen losses occurred in 2009 or earlier and the only stoppage was a) to world-class Stas Kashtanov and b) on cuts anyway. Needless to say, he is heading in against the physically and mentally beaten up Abraham with a much better chance than Stefano Abatangelo is against Braehmer.

Then you have tough splits, like on July 13th with the DiBella quadruple-header in Monaco. All four are roughly equal in terms of their appeal - yet ultimately I chose the conclusion of the DiBella "Super Four" 175lb tournament over the others despite it being again merely a 10-rounder while they're all 12. My justification was that Khabib Allakhverdiev has a relatively easy touch in his first defense of his WBA 140lb reign. Souleymane M'Baye is decent, but a major step down from Joan Guzman - and even from Kaizer Mabuza whom Allakhverdiev fought before upsetting Guzman. Max Bursak is also slightly mismatched against Euro MW challenger Prince Arron. Buzz-worthy Ukrainian cruiser Dmytro Kucher is taking a step up against Ilungu Makabu - but not that big. Of the four, Rodriguez vs. Grachev is the closest to 50-50 and is the nearest to being "two of the division's best"...and besides, it has the added benefit of the build-up of the Super Four despite the hype fizzling a bit in the semifinals. (marred by Rodriguez's horrible styles clash with Ezequiel Maderna and Grachev's very unpopular outpointing of Zsolt Erdei)

It turns out upon inspection that Rodriguez vs. Grachev is the official main event in Monte Carlo. That's a pretty heavy-duty "undercard" Lou DiBella invested in for it.

Also, before anyone mentions it, yes the main event in Macau on July 27th is Zou Shiming in his 6-round sophomore pro outing. He also "headlined" in his 4-round pro debut. **** that. I refuse to give any credence to such nonsense. The only hesitation I had naming Estrada vs. Melindo the main attraction was due to Evgeny Gradovich vs. Mauricio Munoz being a fine little scrap in its own right. Hell, the Zou Shiming freak-show doesn't even rank third in significance. It's firmly behind the Andy Ruiz Jr. vs. Joe Hanks "men from boys" heavyweight match-up.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Johnson View Post
Andy Ruiz, Jr. fights fellow heavyweight Joe Hanks in China on 7/27/13, which is on the undercard of an HBO show. I'm pretty sure it won't be aired, however. But it looks like it should be a decent fight between two unbeaten heavyweights.
If that doesn't get aired, so they can spend an extra 25 minutes talking up Shiming, I am going to mail the HBO Sports offices a bunch of anthrax.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 313

Im most excited for Clev vs Krusher. Dont see these high risk fights often.

Garcia is after disappointing me. No balls.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
Stefan Johnson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If that doesn't get aired, so they can spend an extra 25 minutes talking up Shiming, I am going to mail the HBO Sports offices a bunch of anthrax.
Just checked HBO's website, and it does have it listed as the fourth fight! My bad!

Also nice to see Gradovich fight again after upsetting 50 Cent-promoted fighter Billy Dib.
Stefan Johnson is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Just checked HBO's website, and it does have it listed as the fourth fight!

Quote:
Also nice to see Gradovich fight again after upsetting 50 Cent-promoted fighter Billy Dib.

Dib himself is the "B-side" of this Friday's ESPN2 FNF, looking to use Mike Oliver to rebound. If he doesn't thrash Oliver he needs to head down under with his tail between his legs and just retire.

Oliver was once (briefly) a touted prospect when still an unbeaten flashy speedster, but got exposed for being a chinny idiot (worse than a Hank Lundy in that regard; although Lundy has more compensating talent anyway) by journeyman Rey Lopez - for which I was delighted to sit ringside - and later by Tony Escalante and JuanMa Lopez. I actually saw him another time here in Boston, struggling with and getting a gift over .500 fighter Castulo Gonzalez.

Total garbage. If he isn't knocked out and quickly Dib has lots of explaining to do, and it would be a huge setback in his path to a rematch with Gradovich as the Mexican Russian moves on to bigger and better things.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #26
woodzo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

i must be livin under a huge rock but when the hell did Miguel Cotto vs. Cornelius Bundrage get announced lol
woodzo is online now  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzo View Post
i must be livin under a huge rock but when the hell did Miguel Cotto vs. Cornelius Bundrage get announced lol
I don't know whether it ever officially did, but it went from "maybe" in late May to "probably" a couple of weeks ago...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #28
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Yordan-Brizula is a major event. Only IB would possibly consider it so!
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
Yordan-Brizula is a major event. Only IB would possibly consider it so!
OK that might be a stretch. Tatú is a 2-time Latino champ, however.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Quote:
OK that might be a stretch. Tatú is a 2-time Latino champ, however.
I am a fan of Cino as much as the next man; he brings a good show. In fact, I'll be probably waking myself up at 5-6AM for that one. But I am not quite sure if it is a major event! At least in the eyes of most casual fans.

I always remember reaching out to everyone I know and saying "Man! Boxing is at it's best tonight! 4AM we got the Japanese title bout between Nobuo Nashiro and Denkaosan Kaovichit!!!!!"

Of course, that would be simply talking to myself. Or typing into a computer.

I got you though. There are some good, worthwhile events overseas to catch. Yordon, Nashiro may crumble at the top but when in the proper fights they can bring a nice battle!
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum