Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
jimmy kerr
jr member
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default billy graham

do you think hatton should stay with graham as his head coach. yes fair enough billy gets hatton in great shape and ricky could keep him for that but for tactics and knowledge on openents do you not think he should have somebody like freddy roach.....
jimmy kerr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
TFFP

vCash:
Default Re: billy graham

Won't make a damn bit of difference
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
dwilson

vCash:

Im not too sure either way. A fresh few ideas and change of routine may do Hatton good but apart from the PBF fight he has done well in that team.

To be honest I think Hatton is stuck in his current style and a change of trainer will do little to alter that.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Im not too sure either way. A fresh few ideas and change of routine may do Hatton good but apart from the PBF fight he has done well in that team.

To be honest I think Hatton is stuck in his current style and a change of trainer will do little to alter that.
Well we saw what the change of style did for hamed. He as had one defeat no need to get carried away and get rid of a trainer who has brought him to the world stage.
john b is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
The Exile
FUBAR
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by john b
Well we saw what the change of style did for hamed. He as had one defeat no need to get carried away and get rid of a trainer who has brought him to the world stage.

Exactly, and to change trainers at this stage of his career would be very risky as he would need time to adapt and he isnt getting any younger plus i dont think he has that many fights left in him imo.

He has had great success with Graham and should stick by him, too many fighters change corner after a defeat these days.
The Exile is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
TFFP

vCash:

It was a bit different with Hamed. He was very much a fighter moulded the Ingle way, you only have to look at Junior Witter to see how they make them up there. That was always going to go tits up. There is no danger Hatton is going to get cute on us after changing trainer, he is what he is

It wouldn't change anything for Hatton. His two weaknesses are defence, and lack of jab. He's got arms like an amputee, he can work on the jab all day, it's never going to improve to the extent its a real weapon

A trainer could perhaps bring in some fresh ideas with his defence, his head movement is worrying, but it's the lack of jab that compounds his problems and makes him open as he charges in. At 29, and slightly past his peak my feeling is changing trainer would be a waste of time. How much can he really improve, before he goes downhill rapidly, considering his style? There is also a time period of adjustment, which Hatton doesn't really have

They should just focus on getting him physically fit, and mentally prepared, and see what he has left to offer
Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Droog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Won't make a damn bit of difference
Agree.
Droog is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
It was a bit different with Hamed. He was very much a fighter moulded the Ingle way, you only have to look at Junior Witter to see how they make them up there. That was always going to go tits up. There is no danger Hatton is going to get cute on us after changing trainer, he is what he is

It wouldn't change anything for Hatton. His two weaknesses are defence, and lack of jab. He's got arms like an amputee, he can work on the jab all day, it's never going to improve to the extent its a real weapon

A trainer could perhaps bring in some fresh ideas with his defence, his head movement is worrying, but it's the lack of jab that compounds his problems and makes him open as he charges in. At 29, and slightly past his peak my feeling is changing trainer would be a waste of time. How much can he really improve, before he goes downhill rapidly, considering his style? There is also a time period of adjustment, which Hatton doesn't really have

They should just focus on getting him physically fit, and mentally prepared, and see what he has left to offer
Couldn't agree more. Hatton needs to make the most of what he has now & sticking with Graham is the best way to do that. Hatton's style requires him to have good stamina & fitness levels. Graham, if nothing else, has managed to get Hatton to that level in the past so there is no reason why he can't do so again.

If you compare what Hatton does in the gym compared to what he does in the ring there is quite a disparity. Hatton always looks great in the gym but when he gets in there with an opponent he just smothers them & his own work. For Hatton to have been a different fighter it would have required a trainer who instills more discipline in the ring.

I'm not suggesting he would have ever been a silky boxer but they may have been able to graft a bit more style onto him so he didn't just do the same things from round to round. Anyway thats just pure speculation from my part & is now pointless as Hatton will only be the fighter he is now for better or for worse.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Billy Graham spoke for 4 years about how he was devising the masterplan to beat Mayweather, some masterplan that turned out to be eh. Mind you, not much he can do with a limited grappler.

'so Rickeh, coome over 'ere ya little bastid.....I'll put on big fook off bodybag, and you knock fook out t' thing with your fookin hooks...that's educated pressure that is, Floys won't know what 'it 'im. After that I'm goin' for a fookin cig....alraaaght kid?'
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
The Exile
FUBAR
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
Billy Graham spoke for 4 years about how he was devising the masterplan to beat Mayweather, some masterplan that turned out to be eh. Mind you, not much he can do with a limited grappler.

'so Rickeh, coome over 'ere ya little bastid.....I'll put on big fook off bodybag, and you knock fook out t' thing with your fookin hooks...that's educated pressure that is, Floys won't know what 'it 'im. After that I'm goin' for a fookin cig....alraaaght kid?'

Well for a limited grappler he has had a pretty successful boxing career. The guy, whether you like him or not has lost only once, and that was to the best fighter p4p, a limited grappler would not have got as far as he has.

Your hatred for Hatton is seriously clouding your judgement.
The Exile is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exile
Well for a limited grappler he has had a pretty successful boxing career. The guy, whether you like him or not has lost only once, and that was to the best fighter p4p, a limited grappler would not have got as far as he has.

Your hatred for Hatton is seriously clouding your judgement.

I'll admit to getting over excited about Ricky in the build up to the PBF fight and I will admit that since then I have been over critical of all things Hatton but O fukdickshit or whatever his name is is just being stupid with his constant sniping, he's nearly as bad as Dunky.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
I'll admit to getting over excited about Ricky in the build up to the PBF fight and I will admit that since then I have been over critical of all things Hatton but O fukdickshit or whatever his name is is just being stupid with his constant sniping, he's nearly as bad as Dunky.
Dunky has decent opinions, makes decent points, will see both sides of most arguments and will apologise if it turns out he's wrong . On the other hand I think Foq has just lost the plot over Hatton and its got to the point where I just skip his posts on the subject.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Dunky has decent opinions, makes decent points, will see both sides of most arguments and will apologise if it turns out he's wrong . On the other hand I think Foq has just lost the plot over Hatton and its got to the point where I just skip his posts on the subject.

Dunky is a great poster, who has useful imput more often than not. Fuk is just yanking peoples chain OR he is a retard.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
AK-47
Shoot 'em up
ESB Jr Member

1 defeat doesnt mean get rid of tha crew who made you right?
AK-47 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
1 defeat doesnt mean get rid of tha crew who made you right?
There was talk of Hatton ditching Billy. I truly believe that Hatton is really caught up in his own hype and actually thinks his really that good. The only thing Billy is good for is Hattons fitness and conditioning. Hattons too long in the tooth now to learn any new tricks like the Jab or getting himself a decent Defense that isnt so porous. If he was to get rid of Billy now that would simply be a waste of time. Hatton looks great hitting body bags and lifting enormous amounts of weight. Its great for him mentally and its what works for him. To change that now would spell even more disaster for the kid.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum