Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: billy graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Couldn't agree more. Hatton needs to make the most of what he has now & sticking with Graham is the best way to do that. Hatton's style requires him to have good stamina & fitness levels. Graham, if nothing else, has managed to get Hatton to that level in the past so there is no reason why he can't do so again.

If you compare what Hatton does in the gym compared to what he does in the ring there is quite a disparity. Hatton always looks great in the gym but when he gets in there with an opponent he just smothers them & his own work. For Hatton to have been a different fighter it would have required a trainer who instills more discipline in the ring.

I'm not suggesting he would have ever been a silky boxer but they may have been able to graft a bit more style onto him so he didn't just do the same things from round to round. Anyway thats just pure speculation from my part & is now pointless as Hatton will only be the fighter he is now for better or for worse.
Hatton looks great when his the bully and the target cant hit back. He`ll look great for a month of sundays screaming like Antony Farnell and hitting the pads, heavybag or a bodybag. But those bags dont hit back.

As his moved up in class the disparity has got greater and greater. He simply cant go rushing in like a bull in a china shop because he WILL get knocked out. After 40 plus fights you would have thought he`d learnt this by now. But his had so much smoke blown up his arse he really thinks his that good. I believe the Mayweather fight has humbled him somewhat as to his opinion of himself.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Christ Scura, you make it sound like Hattons career has been a complete failure....he stepped up in weight and lost to the P4P. Lets keep things in perspective, he's got Zoo, JLC, Maussa, Collazo as well as 'lesser' names like Tackie, Phillps etc in the 'win' column, he's had a pretty good career IMHO.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy kerr
do you think hatton should stay with graham as his head coach. yes fair enough billy gets hatton in great shape and ricky could keep him for that but for tactics and knowledge on openents do you not think he should have somebody like freddy roach.....
graham is great if ricky gets rid of billy he loses kayes aswel and he is no longer the same ricky
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #19
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Hattons a 29 year old pressure fighter, he may as well stick with what he knows at this stage in his career.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think he should stick with Billy Graham and Kerry Kayes personally. That particular style of coaching is tailor made for Hatton, who was always a brawler, if you see early tapes of him kickboxing it is there for all to see.

Other trainers like Brendan Ingle, Manny Steward etc would just **** him up. Also, the unit is very close knit, i.e. they enjoy working together and the product is greater than the sum of its parts - if you get what I mean. There is no point changing trainers for the sake of it. Hatton lost to Floyd because Floyd is better than him, not because of his training and conditioning. He looked in great shape prior to the fight, and was doing reasonably well until losing his head in the sixth round. After five rounds pretty much everyone I have spoken to had it 48 apiece, before losing every round from then until the finish.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum