Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Which are you MOST keen on seeing come off soon?
George Groves vs. James DeGale II 6 42.86%
George Groves vs. James DeGale II (with provisos - please state them) 1 7.14%
Tyson Fury vs. Dereck Chisora II 1 7.14%
Tyson Fury vs. Dereck Chisora II (with provisos - please state them) 0 0%
Nathan Cleverly vs. Tony Bellew II 6 42.86%
Nathan Cleverly vs. Tony Bellew II (with provisos - please state them) 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000
Default Sequels for the UK domestic clashes of unbeatens in 2011?

Two years ago over the course of spring/summer/autumn the fans got treated with a spate of "long awaited" match-ups separating the men from the boys. There was much excitement as zeroes were put on the line and it was hoped that Britain's future in the upper echelons of the sport would begin taking shape in this unexpected cavalcade of diehard-pleasing contests occurring all close together.

George Groves vs. James DeGale in May '11
Tyson Fury vs. Dereck Chisora in July '11
Nathan Cleverly vs. Tony Bellew in October '11

(there was also David Price vs. Tom Dallas in June '11 - seen by many back then as perhaps the HW culling with greater potential for eventual world aspirations than Fury vs. Chisora - but for the purposes of this discussion we'll leave that one aside, since nobody is likely clamoring for that rematch now and the man with the higher stock is only very recently fallen low from grace... )

As it turned out, all three were decent matches - maybe not living up to hype, but still entertaining. They were all fairly close. Cleverly vs. Bellew was probably the closest and its outcome still debated today. Groves vs. DeGale was slightly more comfortable in Groves' favor but has been cited as still the hardest night yet for Groves, and many point to DeGale seeming to have come on and improved more steadily ever since in form despite being less in the spotlight. Fury vs. Chisora was the least competitive but was hardly a whitewash, and it's widely accepted that Chisora wasn't fit and that it was a poor showing by his standards...while Fury in the meantime has proven to be occasionally susceptible to punches from lighter hitters than Chisora.

In all three cases, there has been continuous musing over the possibility of a repeat engagement since the night they happened. (again, generally most so in the case of Cleverly vs. Bellew, slightly less for Groves vs. DeGale, and least for Fury vs. Chisora - in direct correlation to Bellew staying a bit more relevant and successful than DeGale who in turn has done so more than Chisora, despite Chisora's bunch of losses being quite forgivable with the blatant robbery against Robert Helenius followed by two game showings against top-flight world class operators in Vitali Klitschko and David Haye)

Fury, Groves and Cleverly are still undefeated and have much bigger fish to fry than old rivals. Fury is negotiating with David Haye and George Groves with Carl Froch in a pair of big-money domestic showdowns in September and November respectively. Nathan Cleverly is scheduled to defend at home against Russian phenom Sergey Kovalev next month.

The B-sides of the possible rematches are keeping active schedules as well, and could all perhaps squeeze in a 3rd date in 2013 before going for the rematch with their '11 foes in the first quarter of 2014. Chisora tuned up in the spring and is due to meet longtime not-quite-contender Malik Scott at the crossroads Saturday after next. DeGale has joined up with Mick Hennessy and is coming off so-so victories over Demers and Bozic only a fortnight apart. Bellew just redeemed his questionable March draw with Isaac Chilemba via UD in May.

So, in the not distant future - say early '14 - which of these doors would you like to reopen?

Fury vs. Chisora II
Groves vs. DeGale II
Cleverly vs. Bellew II

Also, do you put any provisos on them? For instance, Fury vs. Chisora II only if Fury loses to Haye and Chisora beats Scott? Groves vs. DeGale II only if Groves loses to Froch? Cleverly vs. Bellew II only if Cleverly loses to Kovalev? Or would you be receptive to each regardless of what transpires on the near horizon?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
ginger warrior
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sequels for the UK domestic clashes of unbeatens in 2011?

For me groves degale makes most sense,they are both on the cusp of a world title shot so a rematch would be a high stakes affair.it probaly won't happen due to the risk involved which is a shame as it would be a great final eliminator for froch.it would sell and attract mainstream coverage
For my money degale hasn't progressed as expected whereas groves is a more complete fighter who is hitting much harder.groves has to be a strong favourite

Cleverly bellew providing they both win their upcoming bouts(unlikely both) would be a great unification with the obvious hate between them making it spicy
If they both lose its a fight that should be made too,it's the most likely of the 3 to happen I think maybe in Cardiff this time

Fury chisora could happen if haye stops fury,a rematch would be open and fury boxed very well the first time so would need to repeat his discipline if delboy comes in motivated

3 fights that are worthy rematches although for me the only one that works today is groves degale
Good thread
And interesting to me that 4 of the 6 were promoted at the time by a man who is criticised for his careful matchmaking.groves degale was ppv,clev bellew was sold out echo arena and hennessay promoted fury chisora at wembley arena as channel 5s first foray into boxing
ginger warrior is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Jquik
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't want to see any of those fights again.
Jquik is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
ginger warrior
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jquik View Post
I don't want to see any of those fights again.
Really,they were all entertaining all British bouts that generated a good buzz
Why not isn't this what boxing needs competitive clashes
ginger warrior is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 3075

Cleverly vs. Bellew II should already have happened I think. Certainly with Cleverly's remarks about the fight later that he's far past Bellew's level and had "dominated" the first fight, so no rematch is necessary.

Maybe it will happen after the Kovalev bout, because I'm pretty sure he'll lose that one and needs to rebuild. But I probably shouldn't keep my hopes up.
Robney is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum