Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Mormeck wants Cunningham

From Lequipe, Netboxe, Mormeck's forum etc. Mormeck had called out Diablo and it seems he is still focused on the IBF belt he failed to obtain against Bell. He beat Bell in the rematch but "Supernova" had been so inactive that he had been stripped of this belt : Mormeck was only given back the WBA and WBC titles he had after Braithwaite ! His goal has not changed though and negociations have begun for Mormeck vs Cunningham on september. Both are promoted by DKP and things could be easier. Cunningham was one of Mormeck's sparring partners for Hill 2 but they didn't fight much. Mormeck had said good things about Cunningham's technical skills.
Haye who is the WBC challenger could have to fought Bell for the vacant WBC title. Imo Bell is very very dangerous for Haye. He has a good stamina, he hits very hard and he can take a punch. A real test for the british star.
Fitir is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Mormeck wants Cunningham

He should get the chance if he wants it, Mormeck is the linear champion, and unified, I guess he just wants to carry all 3 belts at one time for some reason.

Hats off to JMM, he has paid his dues and can do as he pleases. Haye is a good challenger and I'd like to see him get his shot soon, but he can wait if it means another unification.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

this will be a great fight
boxexpert is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

O'Neil Bell gave Mormeck their last fight. Bell was way too lazy to attempt to win or even defend. Shame on him for being so. If he had any shred of pride he would have KO'd Mormeck when he had the chance. What kind of a dumbbell thinks he's going to win a decision in France against a French fighter?

The French fans were amazing, though, applauding the effort they saw from their fighter after every round.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
O'Neil Bell gave Mormeck their last fight. Bell was way too lazy to attempt to win or even defend. Shame on him for being so. If he had any shred of pride he would have KO'd Mormeck when he had the chance. What kind of a dumbbell thinks he's going to win a decision in France against a French fighter?
I think it was Bell's plan to wait for Mormeck to tire and it could have worked (it was perfect in the 1st fight). I don't know if Bell was really able to do something else anyway. If Bell had chosen to go for the war in the first rounds it would have been a big risk even if he is solid. He was obliged to give some rounds to Mormeck. Mormeck is past it but he is still very dangerous. Problem is that Mormeck (I should say Giachetti...) was a bit more clever than Bell expected. This time he didn't fall into Bell's provocations. Giachetti had built a plan, Mormeck stopped his aggression and Bell was unable to adjust. Bell can take a punch, he can hit very hard, he is very good against a pressure fighter but he is not a very good pressure boxer himself . He is in trouble against a guy who fights defensive (the Brown fight for example) . The decision was OK but Bell vs Mormeck 3 would be interesting. Mormeck vs Cunningham will also be very interesting, Cunningham is a completely different threat but he shouldn't be underestimated. What really happened when they sparred ? I heard rumors "Cunningham was destroyed and he chose to quit" and "Cunningham was fired after a couple of sparring sessions. He was too skilled and he could have destroyed Mormeck's confidence. "

I am also very interested in Haye vs Bell. Imo Bell is the perfect test for Haye.
Haye hits very hard => Bell is solid.
Haye's chin is a ? => Bell hits very hard.
Haye never beat a top 10 at cruiser => Bell is a top 5.
Haye lacks experience => Bell is a "dirty" boxer
The fight would answer many "?" about Haye.

Winner of Mormeck vs Cunningham (WBA-IBF) against winner of Haye vs Bell (WBC) ? It would give the man at cruiser imo. With challengers like Huck, Braithwaite/Maccarinelli (WBO) etc. the division is impressive.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

According to Netboxe, Mormeck's forum etc. Mormeck had called the IBF champ out but it won't happen. Cunningham has to fight Huck anyway. Mormeck in France or Huck in Germany were difficult fights and the purses are probably similar for Cunningham.
Mormeck had already mentionned Haye as his second option and it seems Don King and Frank Maloney have a deal ! As Mormeck vs Bell 2 the fight would take place in the "Palais des Sports Marcel Cerdan" of Levallois.
The initial date was september 28th but Canal+ and Balkany (mayor of Levallois) would prefer the fight to be a bit postponed. In fact they want to wait for the end of the rugby World Cup.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
boxfan78

Mormeck vs Bell 2? Wouldn't it be a rubbermatch since they have allready faced each other twice? And no as good as both fights were I'd rather see Mormeck-Haye or Mormeck-Cunningham down the line..
boxfan78 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think it was Bell's plan to wait for Mormeck to tire and it could have worked (it was perfect in the 1st fight). I don't know if Bell was really able to do something else anyway. If Bell had chosen to go for the war in the first rounds it would have been a big risk even if he is solid. He was obliged to give some rounds to Mormeck
The open scoring in that bout huirt Bell too. Mormeck knew he was ahead and could box the last few rounds., blunting Bell's advantage.

Quote:
Mormeck vs Bell 2? Wouldn't it be a rubbermatch since they have allready faced each other twice? And no as good as both fights were I'd rather see Mormeck-Haye or Mormeck-Cunningham down the line..
Mormeck/Haye was just named for Sept.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
ryanty22
VRWC Sledgehammer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

mormeck- cunningham maybe for down the road after he gets ktfo by the hayemaker inside of 5 rds. haye already said after he wins the cruiserweight title he will probably move to heavy to take those world titles so mormeck can beat a nobody to get his titles back after haye vacates the he can take on cunningham and get beaten again
ryanty22 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #10
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
haye already said after he wins the cruiserweight title he will probably move to heavy to take those world titles
I read the interview. Haye says many things that's for sure. He will have to prove what he claims in the ring.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir
From Lequipe, Netboxe, Mormeck's forum etc. Mormeck had called out Diablo and it seems he is still focused on the IBF belt he failed to obtain against Bell. He beat Bell in the rematch but "Supernova" had been so inactive that he had been stripped of this belt : Mormeck was only given back the WBA and WBC titles he had after Braithwaite ! His goal has not changed though and negociations have begun for Mormeck vs Cunningham on september. Both are promoted by DKP and things could be easier. Cunningham was one of Mormeck's sparring partners for Hill 2 but they didn't fight much. Mormeck had said good things about Cunningham's technical skills.
Haye who is the WBC challenger could have to fought Bell for the vacant WBC title. Imo Bell is very very dangerous for Haye. He has a good stamina, he hits very hard and he can take a punch. A real test for the british star.
Haha! Guess that any top cruiser wants to fight either Wlodarcyk or Cunningham.Both are relatively weak fighters in comparison with other names of the upper echelon of this weight division.
Huck is Cunningham's mandatory.He will stop him within the distance.Tokarev would also stop Cunningham IMO.Mormeck,Haye,and Bell,too.Even a quite inexperienced pro boxer like Kraj would beat him IMO.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It's a bit difficult to evaluate Cunningham's level but he has some decent names on his record. The Jones fight wasn't televised. I know he sparred with Mormeck but there are different versions about what happened. Rumors that Mormeck who was preparing for Hill 2 had begun to destroy Cunningham. Cunningham's team stopped the massacre since they didn't want to "burn" their boy before his fight. Sparring with Mormeck to prepare for Rothmann wouldn't have been clever anyway, they have very different styles. What is sure is that Mormeck hadn't been impressed enough to avoid Cunningham and that King chose the IBF way for Cunningham.
Anyway I don't think Mormeck was interested in Diablo or Cunningham cause they are "weak" (and I don't think they are so weak) . You think he had called out Braithwaite or Bell cause they were easy targets ? He was the Ring champ before Bell and he didn't need him... He had called them out to obtain the undisputed title and his goal has always been clear.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Haha! Guess that any top cruiser wants to fight either Wlodarcyk or Cunningham.Both are relatively weak fighters in comparison with other names of the upper echelon of this weight division.
Huck is Cunningham's mandatory.He will stop him within the distance.Tokarev would also stop Cunningham IMO.Mormeck,Haye,and Bell,too.Even a quite inexperienced pro boxer like Kraj would beat him IMO.
You hugely underrate Steve Cunningham. He fought a horrible fight vs Wlodarczyk the first time around, but showed improvements the second time around. If you look at Cunningham's entire career as a whole, he has been a solid fighter, and would be the favourite against Huck at this point, imo.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
pioterbezkitu
Juan Manuel Marquez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Cunningham would humiliate Kraj
pioterbezkitu is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioterbezkitu
Cunningham would humiliate Kraj
I dont think so!

Cunningham had two close fights with Wlodarcyzk,one of the weakest champs of the last couple of years at cruiser weight.
Cunningham didnt show a very convincing performance against that relatively weak Pole.No,not at all.
Kraj still needs a few fights more in order to take on fighters from the upper echelon of his weight division,but even if he and Cunningham fought each other next week I for my part would bet my money on the Czech olmypic silver medal winner.
Most Poles are overrated anyway,and they are not very known for the fighting spirit.Doesnt mean that much to beat Wlodarcyzk in my opinion!
Karanevich was robbed of a deserved victory against him on Polish soil.
And as much as I like Karanevich he for sure doesnt play in Kraj' s league.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum