Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Oleksandr Usyk pro career

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya by ko View Post
Not on Usyk but the was a large back page article on Vasyl Lomachenko in the Korea Times today. One of the very few times I've seen boxing coverage on the back page.
That's pretty cool he did beat the Korean Han in the Olympic finals last year.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
freedom2013
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 110

Alexander Usyk will make his debut at heavyweight against Mexican Felipe Romero.
freedom2013 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
silencio
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1017

Heavyweight?
silencio is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2013 View Post
Alexander Usyk will make his debut at heavyweight against Mexican Felipe Romero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotskyy View Post
Oleksandr Usyk's opponent for his pro debut is rumored to be Zack Mwekassa 14-3 (13KO) who two years ago stopped Mchunu who just beat Chambers. If that turns out to be true its a tough debut against a dangerous puncher and shows K2 plans to move him quickly which i like. Pretty sure it's only going to be a 6 rounder though and Mwekassa has only ever gone 8 rounds once.

It's at CW and Romero is a CW even though his last fight was against Leapai. Romero may not be quite as dangerous due to Mwekassa's one punch power but overall he's a quality fighter. Romero gave Masternak a tough time a couple fights ago (the 10th round stoppage was bogus) and has wins over former LHW Champ Gonzalez x2 and former CW contender Montana. That's a very tough pro debut.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Stallion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 333

It would be shame to see Usyk at heavyweight. He would be at disadvantage all the time despite his skills. Hopefully he'll stay at CW as long as possible.
Stallion is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
freedom2013
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 110

Hopefully he'll be fighting Felipe Romero at cruiserweight. Romero is ranked by BoxRec at heavyweight and fought Alex Leapai last time out but has fought mostly at cruiserweight:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
freedom2013 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Karlo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I actually prefer to see Usyk as a heavyweight than as a cruiserweight. He looked much better in WSB at 210-215 (and especially against the big heavyweights) than in the Olympics at 200. I also heard that he struggled alot to make that weight in London, so I don't see the point for him to go there again. Im rather sure that he's a future heavyweight champ if he focuses on the heaviest division.
Karlo is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
I actually prefer to see Usyk as a heavyweight than as a cruiserweight. He looked much better in WSB at 210-215 (and especially against the big heavyweights) than in the Olympics at 200. I also heard that he struggled alot to make that weight in London, so I don't see the point for him to go there again. Im rather sure that he's a future heavyweight champ if he focuses on the heaviest division.
Usyk at 6'3" has the height to be a heavyweight. I think his reach is greater than Povetkin's. Do you know what it is? I would guess about 77-78" which is good enough for his style.

I'm not sure what the divison will look like Post Klitschko. Can a guy who's best weight at 210-215 win it with speed, and skills over size and power?

I would say yes as long as there is not another super heavyweight with skills in the mix like Bowe, Lewis, or the Klitschko brothers.

One thing is clear, Usyk should not get too heavy. His best stuff is speed and skills, not power.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
Agreed, he holds his hands very high which puts him at a disadvantage against shorter guys.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #25
Kevin Willis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 295

TTT Anything on Uysk's third pro fight?
Kevin Willis is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #26
gmurphy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 704

Usyk can easily make 200 pounds your forgetting that in the amateurs they have on the day weigh ins and they could have up to 3 or 4 fights in one week where the have to make weight everytime, while in the pros they have to make weight the day before and it's a once off weight in so Usyk will be well able to make cruiser weight for a long time and beterbiev should be able to make light heavyweight too

Last edited by gmurphy; 01-03-2014 at 07:18 AM.
gmurphy is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Usyk plans to stay busy and hopes for a world title shot in 2014. He may fight on a Klychko undercard sometime this year and when he is ready to step up to world level fellow K2 boxer Ola Afolabi is a likely opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Usyk at 6'3" has the height to be a heavyweight. I think his reach is greater than Povetkin's. Do you know what it is? I would guess about 77-78" which is good enough for his style.

I'm not sure what the divison will look like Post Klitschko. Can a guy who's best weight at 210-215 win it with speed, and skills over size and power?

I would say yes as long as there is not another super heavyweight with skills in the mix like Bowe, Lewis, or the Klitschko brothers.

One thing is clear, Usyk should not get too heavy. His best stuff is speed and skills, not power.
The heaviest Usyk ever weighed in WSB was 209lb. I do think that if any classical sized HW is going to prove you can be a force against SHW's with speed and skills in this era it will be Usyk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmurphy View Post
Usyk can easily make 200 pounds your forgetting that in the amateurs they have on the day weigh ins and they could have up to 3 or 4 fights in one week where the have to make weight everytime, while in the pros they have to make weight the day before and it's a once off weight in so Usyk will be well able to make cruiser weight for a long time and beterbiev should be able to make light heavyweight too
Absolutely right and not only do they have same day weigh ins but when they're fighting in tournaments that can last 2 weeks they have to keep making weight the entire time.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #28
fistycuffs
Journeyman

I wish they would promote Usyk more, he's a very interesting dude and elite boxer. I think he could have every CW belt if he wanted it.
fistycuffs is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #29
gmurphy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistycuffs View Post
I wish they would promote Usyk more, he's a very interesting dude and elite boxer. I think he could have every CW belt if he wanted it.
His promoted heavily in the Ukraine and Germany, dont expect many Americans to know who he is until he moves up to heavyweight , i think he will unify the cruiserweight division first
gmurphy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
HamburgBuam
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmurphy View Post
His promoted heavily in the Ukraine and Germany, dont expect many Americans to know who he is until he moves up to heavyweight , i think he will unify the cruiserweight division first
Sorry, but nobody beside hardcore fans knows him in Germany.
HamburgBuam is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum