Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Current Ring Magazine article on the jab

Every now and then Ring Magazine offers a good article. I was at a book store over the weekend. 10 years ago, boxing magazines were easy to find, with multiple publishers. These days you have to look hard to find Ring Magazine.

Anyway, the article is well thought out. You can read the thoughts from famous trainers, and fighters. I recommend reading it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427
Default Re: Current Ring Magazine article on the jab

haha tried two of my go to spots last week, no ring magazine. Don't feel like making
the trip out of town. Id love to read it though.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

It was a good article with interesting and some diverse opinions (e.g Griffith talking about 'keeping the elbow in'; Holmes saying it didn't matter; Dundee's comments about 'stepping in' with it wasn't what he taught). Wlad's jab stats were very impressive- 10 jabs conntected per round- which is double the current average at any weight. Good stuff.

It was good to see, the king of the jabs, since stats were collated, was Whitaker, which pleased me no end; scoring with almost 40% of his jabs thrown. A truly great practioner of the art of boxing Pernell, no doubt.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Got the most valuable tips about jabbing at Stillman's Gym from SRR 'n "Tooth Pick" Joe Brown.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Got the most valuable tips about jabbing at Stillman's Gym from SRR 'n "Tooth Pick" Joe Brown.
It is killing me...what did they tell you, especially Joe Brown?
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
It is killing me...what did they tell you, especially Joe Brown?
Have appointments this A.M. Will get back to you on this.

Just got back:

SRR 'n "ol Bones" pointed out the same thing after watching me spar a few times: Because my arms are short the conventional way of jabbing (stepping and jabbing like a fencer, with knuckles forward) wouldn't work for me. As an orthodox boxer, it would always leave me a step away from landing a big right.

What "Bones" showed me--'n it worked like a charm-- was to ball my fist up, as if holding a dagger, and dip my left knee 'n up-jab. It gave me that crucial step closer.

Last edited by john garfield; 08-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Robby's jab gets overlooked sometimes. Anybody wanting to focus on that jab in action should watch the film of him stabbing away at Angott with it. Dangerous offensive weapon at the lower weights. The Clutch had to continually backpedal away from it. If you want to be able to concentrate on SRR's jab without being distracted by his footwork or dazzling combinations, see how he uses it against Sammy.
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Just got back:

SRR 'n "ol Bones" pointed out the same thing after watching me spar a few times: Because my arms are short the conventional way of jabbing (stepping and jabbing like a fencer, with knuckles forward) wouldn't work for me. As an orthodox boxer, it would always leave me a step away from landing a big right.

What "Bones" showed me--'n it worked like a charm-- was to ball my fist up, as if holding a dagger, and dip my left knee 'n up-jab. It gave me that crucial step closer.
John, very interesting! If you watched the last Robinson-LaMotta go did you notice the many rounds where short armed Jake walked into Robinson behind his jab? Its hard on film to see how many of those landed but it seems he may have been doing a little of what Bones showed you.
timmers612 is online now  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612 View Post
John, very interesting! If you watched the last Robinson-LaMotta go did you notice the many rounds where short armed Jake walked into Robinson behind his jab? Its hard on film to see how many of those landed but it seems he may have been doing a little of what Bones showed you.
That's exactly what Bones showed me, t. Jake also showed me, because we both hand small hands, that if I was gonna have any success, body punching had to be my ticket.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
like a boss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookfromhell View Post
haha tried two of my go to spots last week, no ring magazine. Don't feel like making
the trip out of town. Id love to read it though.
Tell the man at your go to spot that if he gets it in you'll buy it. What they order is based on demand.
like a boss is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
It was a good article with interesting and some diverse opinions (e.g Griffith talking about 'keeping the elbow in'; Holmes saying it didn't matter; Dundee's comments about 'stepping in' with it wasn't what he taught). Wlad's jab stats were very impressive- 10 jabs conntected per round- which is double the current average at any weight. Good stuff.

It was good to see, the king of the jabs, since stats were collated, was Whitaker, which pleased me no end; scoring with almost 40% of his jabs thrown. A truly great practioner of the art of boxing Pernell, no doubt.
Foreman's comment was funny, and somewhat true. The young Foreman said he'd hit a guy with the jab, and the force of the blow would move the other guy back out of range from his right hand. So he didn't use the punch as often as he'd would have liked.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

Just got back:

Very clever.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum