Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
ryan711

vCash: 500
Default Katsidis eyes farewell fight

This is from Dan Rafael
Quote:
Lightweight Michael Katsidis was one of the most exciting action fighters of the era. Time and again, he was in dramatic slugfests.

In 2007 and 2008 he had three consecutive fight of the year contenders in interim lightweight title bouts -- winning a ridiculous slugfest with Graham Earl by a fifth-round knockout in England, a bloody unanimous decision against Czar Amonsot in Las Vegas (in which Amonsot suffered a brain injury) and a 10th-round knockout loss to Joel Casamayor in a mayhem-filled bout in Cabazon, Calif.

There were other grueling fights also, such as a decision loss to Juan Diaz and a knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, whom he dropped hard and nearly knocked out.

The brutal battles took their toll, however, and Katsidis lost four of his last five fights, including what we all thought would be his final bout, a decision to Albert Mensah in an April 2012 junior welterweight bout that headlined an ESPN2 card.

Although Katsidis never formally retired, there was a lot of chatter that he had gotten a bad medical report, forcing him to call it quits.

But now, according to The Chronicle newspaper in his hometown of Toowoomba, Australia, Katsidis (28-6, 23 KOs), who turns 33 this month, is looking for one more fight and has reunited with former manager/trainer Brendon Smith to help make it happen. Katsidis and Smith split after a decision loss to Ricky Burns in 2011, the fight before the Mensah bout.

According to the report, Katsidis is eyeing a possible farewell fight in his hometown, where he has not fought since a first-round knockout victory against Guillermo Mosquera in 2006. Although Katsidis has business interests and a clothing line that he is looking after, boxing isnt out of his system just yet.

I'm clear to fight. My health is a No. 1 priority. I've got a little daughter now, Katsidis told the paper. I'm in the transition period of my career now as I begin moving into the business world, but I want to give back something to Toowoomba and my fans. I want to fight again and go out on my terms. This is where I want to have my send-off. I believe I've achieved everything I can in boxing but I just want to fight again.
ryan711 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Trumpy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Katsidis eyes farewell fight

Read reports , that Earl is back in training and also after one more fight
Trumpy is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
China Rich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Fair enough if he's cleared to fight he deserves to go out on his own terms. He shldn't fight anyone remotely competitive though, it shld be a glorified exhibition and a chance to bring the curtain down at home...
China Rich is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
sjp17
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I want Katsidis vs Hatton , of course it will never happen but id also like to see Katsidis against Joel Casamayor though he is 42 and not fought for a couple of years but may be tempted out for a pay day , as for Graham Earl he has already anounced a comeback fight so perhaps if he gets threw that one then maybe the rematch will be on

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
sjp17 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
I P Freely
Journeyman

does he have brain damage or not
I P Freely is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
like a boss
Belt holder