Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Eder Jofre vs. Ruben Olivares

15 rounds at Bantamweight...Two bantam/feather champions. Who do you like?
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre vs. Ruben Olivares

Ruben Olivares was the ultimate Mexican ko force in the bantamweight division back in the late 60's. Eder Jofre was, however, even better as a total fighter who do it all, box like master, or put your lights out with either hand. Jofre would have outboxed then ko'ed Olivares inside of 6 rounds. Only one man, Fighting Harada, ever had Jofre's number, and had the right style to use against him, but Jofre would have outclassed Olivares at any time of their careers.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I may actually favor Olivares. I think if Harada's swarming, relentless style on the inside gave Jofre so much trouble, that Olivares would get the better of him on the inside as well. On the outside, Jofre likely outboxes him. I think though, that this fight would likely take place in the middle of the ring, within range, and while both liked to employ bolo style uppercuts and looping punches to the body in close, I think Olivares had a bit more variety from what I've seen.

BUT, I have not seen as much Jofre as I have Olivares, so I cannot be sure.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I may actually favor Olivares. I think if Harada's swarming, relentless style on the inside gave Jofre so much trouble, that Olivares would get the better of him on the inside as well. On the outside, Jofre likely outboxes him. I think though, that this fight would likely take place in the middle of the ring, within range, and while both liked to employ bolo style uppercuts and looping punches to the body in close, I think Olivares had a bit more variety from what I've seen.
That's what I believe as well.
bxrfan is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
15 rounds at Bantamweight...Two bantam/feather champions. Who do you like?
Jofre,he was a bit more polished for me,and Olivares wasnt a great trainer.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd take Jofre by late TKO. He's simply better chinned and more resilient than Ruben was and is skilled enough to be nailing Olivares with good shots that will break Ruben's will over the journey. Bout might resemble Arguello's against Olivares, but I expect Jofre to box a little better than the somewhat green Alexis did.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Olivares by KO. More skillful and with more KO power.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

We`ve done this matchup before and in the past I sided with Jofre to win via late KO, but now I am not so sure...

Today I like Olivares in this matchup. Jofre got hit a lot by a buzzsaw fighter in Fighting Harada, and I think Ruben at his best would put even more pressure on Jofre than Harada because Olivares had the KO power behind his punches that Harada lacked. Jofre's boxing would not hold off a relentless Olivares and I think Olivares might even win via late KO, if not a decision.

The problem with Eder was that he often took many punches in trying to establish himself in a fight, did not seem particularly devastating with one punch ko power and seemed bothered when pressured. I think he would have been bothered by Olivares swarming attack and speed, and when trying to establlish himself he would get caught by Olivares and be at least knocked down and made to re-evaluate his fight plan.

When Ruben beat Rose for the title he was constantly pressing, barely out of range then inside throwing hard punches then back out to return from a new angle. I get the impression that he may have been quicker- certainly of foot, probably of hand as well- than Jofre. Jofre would need to be more active than against Harada- punch more, move more, be more proactive- or Olivares could overrun him.

While I believe that Jofre was the superior overall boxer, and that later in his career at 118 Olivares may not have been conditioned well enough to keep the pace, I feel that the Olivares that won the 118 title and was 51-0-1 w/49 kos would have beaten Jofre, and what a fight it would have been!
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Olivares by KO. More skillful and with more KO power.
He was more skillful and powerful than Rafael Herrera and Chucho Castillo as well.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
We`ve done this matchup before and in the past I sided with Jofre to win via late KO, but now I am not so sure...

Today I like Olivares in this matchup. Jofre got hit a lot by a buzzsaw fighter in Fighting Harada, and I think Ruben at his best would put even more pressure on Jofre than Harada because Olivares had the KO power behind his punches that Harada lacked. Jofre's boxing would not hold off a relentless Olivares and I think Olivares might even win via late KO, if not a decision.

The problem with Eder was that he often took many punches in trying to establish himself in a fight, did not seem particularly devastating with one punch ko power and seemed bothered when pressured. I think he would have been bothered by Olivares swarming attack and speed, and when trying to establlish himself he would get caught by Olivares and be at least knocked down and made to re-evaluate his fight plan.

When Ruben beat Rose for the title he was constantly pressing, barely out of range then inside throwing hard punches then back out to return from a new angle. I get the impression that he may have been quicker- certainly of foot, probably of hand as well- than Jofre. Jofre would need to be more active than against Harada- punch more, move more, be more proactive- or Olivares could overrun him.

While I believe that Jofre was the superior overall boxer, and that later in his career at 118 Olivares may not have been conditioned well enough to keep the pace, I feel that the Olivares that won the 118 title and was 51-0-1 w/49 kos would have beaten Jofre, and what a fight it would have been!
RB, re the pressure Ruben would put on Jofre compared to that put on by Harada: Ruben didn't have the speed or the buzzsaw style of Harada. It was the speed and volume that bothered Jofre more than anything else imo, and that's something that he wouldn't have to worry about against Olivares - at least to the same extent.

No doubt Olivares hit harder than Harada did, and probably any opponent Jofre had, but Jofre had no quit in him and never stopped fighting even when hurt, and I think his mettle would see him through any rough moments that he WILL have to weather.

Actually, I think Jofre's resiliency will be the difference here. When both men were struggling making weight and were less than at their best, Jofre got beat up but took Harada all the way in two close fights. Olivares basically quit against Herrera (ok, he had a cut eye on top of it, I admit it) but I don't think Jofre would have quit in the same situation. I don't think he'd even lose to Herrera, but if he did, I think he'd be there to take his licks til the end.

When Jofre hits Ruben and hits him consistently over a long period of time, I think Ruben will say enough's enough.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
RB, re the pressure Ruben would put on Jofre compared to that put on by Harada: Ruben didn't have the speed or the buzzsaw style of Harada. It was the speed and volume that bothered Jofre more than anything else imo, and that's something that he wouldn't have to worry about against Olivares - at least to the same extent.

No doubt Olivares hit harder than Harada did, and probably any opponent Jofre had, but Jofre had no quit in him and never stopped fighting even when hurt, and I think his mettle would see him through any rough moments that he WILL have to weather.

Actually, I think Jofre's resiliency will be the difference here. When both men were struggling making weight and were less than at their best, Jofre got beat up but took Harada all the way in two close fights. Olivares basically quit against Herrera (ok, he had a cut eye on top of it, I admit it) but I don't think Jofre would have quit in the same situation. I don't think he'd even lose to Herrera, but if he did, I think he'd be there to take his licks til the end.

When Jofre hits Ruben and hits him consistently over a long period of time, I think Ruben will say enough's enough.
S_S,

I hear brother and you may well be right... after all I was thinking pretty much the same thing until just recently. But I still believe that the Olivares of the Rose fight was busy enough and quick enough to really give Eder all he could handle. Jofre was a tremendous puncher with both hands and with any punch really and he had boxing skills well above the average.

But Olivares was a harder hitter, an underrated strategist and defensive fighter and the night he won the title it must have been like fighting a leopard in a tree and that version of Ruben was very similar to Harada stylistically and gives Jofre hell everytime. Like I said I do believe Jofre could beat even that version of Rock-a-bye Ruben by avoiding most of Rubens powershots while jabbing, moving and countering him.

But wether he manages to do this succesfully over a 15 round distance becomes a question mark in my opinion. What has me worried for Eder is that in the Medel fight Jofre is drawn into a toe-to-toe exchange that lasted for nearly 3 rounds and the fighting got a bit reckless; he seemed to take punches he didn't need to take and against Ruben that would prove costly indeed.

Assuming Olivares shows up in condition like when he became champion I think that he would defeat Jofre though in the whole scheme of things I don't think he's the better fighter. This fight is pretty much 50/50 in my mind anyways, and ask me who wins tomorrow and I may well lean towards Jofre, but as it stands at the momet I`ll go with Ruben by a hard fought decision.

Last edited by Cormega; 03-03-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
S_S,

I hear brother and you may well be right... after all I was thinking pretty much the same thing until just recently. But I still believe that the Olivares of the Rose fight was busy enough and quick enough to really give Eder all he could handle. Jofre was a tremendous puncher with both hands and with any punch really and he had boxing skills well above the average.

But Olivares was a harder hitter, an underrated strategist and defensive fighter and the night he won the title it must have been like fighting a leopard in a tree and that version of Ruben was very similar to Harada stylistically and gives Jofre hell everytime. Like I said I do believe Jofre could beat even that version of Rock-a-bye Ruben by avoiding most of Rubens powershots while jabbing, moving and countering him.

But wether he manages to do this succesfully over a 15 round distance becomes a question mark in my opinion. What has me worried for Eder is that in the Medel fight Jofre is drawn into a toe-to-toe exchange that lasted for nearly 3 rounds and the fighting got a bit reckless; he seemed to take punches he didn't need to take and against Ruben that would prove costly indeed.

Assuming Olivares shows up in condition like when he became champion I think that he would defeat Jofre though in the whole scheme of things I don't think he's the better fighter. This fight is pretty much 50/50 in my mind anyways, and ask me who wins tomorrow and I may well lean towards Jofre, but as it stands at the momet I`ll go with Ruben by a hard fought decision.
Fair enoug mate.

A young, prime Olivares was fairly speedy, energetic and cagey as well and he did hit harder than anyone Jofre ever faced I believe, so we don't know how Jofre would react to being hit with those shots of Ruben's. Eder's been hurt by lesser punchers and so there's evidence to suggest that some harder shots would do the business against him.

On the flip side it's just hard to imagine something we've never seen before - Eder being stopped, or badly hurt enough to take him far outside his game. Everytime he was challenged or has been in trouble (at least on the film footage we've seen) he's always come through it and battled on.

Just speaking of the Medel fight, I was just reviewing that before and whilst Jofre was taking quite a few needless shots and being a bit lazy with his guard, what amazed me was that everytime Jose put the pressure on him and pummeled away, Jofre would come back like a beast. Round 5 in particular was a great round where Jofre took a bit of a pounding, but he turned the tables in the last 20 seconds of the round and nearly had Jose out. If the bell didn't save him there it was probably all over. Then again in round 9 Medel put up another spirited effort, punishing Jofre with shots to the body and head, but after the pummeling Jofre lands a single left hook to the head right before the bell which basically ended the fight. The way he turned it all around with a single shot was monstrous! After that, the ending (round ten) was simply process.

Again, even in the Harada fights, whenever Jofre was hurt he quickly regrouped and refired. In particular the first fight where Jofre was hurt in the fourth round, he comes out the next round and puts a beating on Harada. It's qualities like this that make me think he'll be too mentally tough and will outlast Ruben if it becomes a battle of wills, which I think once he withstands an earlier onslaught, it will be.

I agree with you that it's going to be hard for Jofre to outbox and counter Ruben all night, and I actually don't think he can. Ruben will draw him in and will land his viscious shots, but I'm backing Jofre to withstand whatever he's given and fire back in retaliation. Could be wrong and Ruben could poleaxe him like he has so many others, but if I had to bet, i'd bet against it.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecubs
Got so excited Jofre beat Great ,underated Jose Joe Medal!!! Thanks for the memories I was thinking back all the fun I had back then!!!!!! ......
You are a lucky man to have lived through those times mate
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm not so sure that Olivares hit harder.

Jofre likely has the greater number of true one-punch knockouts against world class\borderline world class fighters.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Olivares that fought Lionel Rose was amazing and I feel he had the style to pressure and beat Jofre probably via late KO.
Minotauro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum