Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre vs. Ruben Olivares

I never got to see either boxer and I regret that as I respect them both very much. Just from what I have read and researched on each fighter I would probably lean toward Jofre. He has quite a resume against some tough opposition. His only two losses against Harada were both close enough to have gone his way. However Reuben thrilled the fans with some vintage performances as well. So maybe he could pull it off.
DFW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #17
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's a little highlight clip from Jofre-Medel I for those that haven't seen the fight. It doesn't focus so much on the parts where Jofre boxed, so much as the moments that he brawled with Medel. It's toughness like this that makes me think Ruben will be pushing shit uphill if he wants to knock this man out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Here's a little highlight clip from Jofre-Medel I for those that haven't seen the fight. It doesn't focus so much on the parts where Jofre boxed, so much as the moments that he brawled with Medel. It's toughness like this that makes me think Ruben will be pushing shit uphill if he wants to knock this man out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
See that right there is a good reason for my last line in my first post. Having not seen enough Jofre, I couldn't be sure. He looked great. From what I saw there, he seemed to be a bit more of a technical puncher, even though he threw wide sometimes, he was never wild. His inside skills were very good, great accuracy and a nice defense inside, which usually lead to him getting the better of the exchanges. And like you said, definitely great toughness and a great chin, Medel never had the advantage for more than a short period of time, as Jofre came right back. Especially at the end, when it looked like he might really be hurt, he comes back and hurts Medel worse than he has the entire fight.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #19
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecubs
Excuse me everyone for not correctly putting that together properly.The second part the guys listed were victims of Jofre. You can look at the records at both banty &feather & Eder has a better record!!!As I said Only 2 losses to Harada ,none at feather & Rockin Rueben had 12 L,8 KOBY!! I agree some were past his peak , early on a lot ,I mean alotof those KOs down Mexico were vs. suspect opponets!
Yeah but olivares probably beat better fighters man. I mean how many guys has jofre beat that are better than prime bobby chacon or lionel rose?
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Yeah but olivares probably beat better fighters man. I mean how many guys has jofre beat that are better than prime bobby chacon or lionel rose?
Jofre is an enigma for me as far as ranking as well. His resume, while good, is not worthy of a top 20 placement or anything close, but his career and performance seem to by most accounts. He looked quite impressive in the clip Scientist posted, which is easily the best indicator of the man at his best that I've seen, as he's one of the fighters I've not seen substantial footage of.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Jofre is an enigma for me as far as ranking as well. His resume, while good, is not worthy of a top 20 placement or anything close, but his career and performance seem to by most accounts. He looked quite impressive in the clip Scientist posted, which is easily the best indicator of the man at his best that I've seen, as he's one of the fighters I've not seen substantial footage of.
He isn't top 20, i think rin g rank him like 18 or 19 or some shit but if they included fighters pre 1920, he would have been like 25 on thier list.

His resume is about as good as a prince naseem hamed or ricardo lopez.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That's very hard to believe.

I would like to see footage of the many fighters Jofre fought i am not sure about, before i dismiss them as being as bad as Ricardo's.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Olivares prime and conditioned was a great fighter at this weight, he did not always train and partied even more than Duran but in shape a prime Olivares would win, an out of shape Ruben was another story
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #24
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
See that right there is a good reason for my last line in my first post. Having not seen enough Jofre, I couldn't be sure. He looked great. From what I saw there, he seemed to be a bit more of a technical puncher, even though he threw wide sometimes, he was never wild. His inside skills were very good, great accuracy and a nice defense inside, which usually lead to him getting the better of the exchanges. And like you said, definitely great toughness and a great chin, Medel never had the advantage for more than a short period of time, as Jofre came right back. Especially at the end, when it looked like he might really be hurt, he comes back and hurts Medel worse than he has the entire fight.
That's what I like about you, you come to debates with an open mind. You don't just go over to boxrec and make an ultimate judgment about a fighter.

Jofre was an excellent boxer. I tried to put in the moments that emphasised Jofre's toughness more than anything but I could have put in parts from the many rounds where Jofre was outboxing Medel with an excellent long rangy jab and good side to side movement. He didn't lose a single round to Medel imo. The two rounds where Jose pummeled him, the 5th and the 9th, Eder ended having Jose out on his feet. Just highlights for me the old adage, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. And as you can see they don't come much tougher than Eder. There's a reason why he was never knocked out and competed till he was into his late 30s.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 02-26-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecubs
Thanks , that was sweeet! you a REAL scientist!!! Who ever said too Jofre just lost twice & Harada youve got to see also too believe him!! I dont think im being too sentimental ,when I say Castillo, Hererra He beat Ruben TWICE!!!Look at the guys every one 1strate!!!Little bird pajerto Moreno(wow),Billy Pea**** ( he could hit),Pierro Rollo (euro champ)Sadao Yaoita( he gave pascaul Perez trouble)Ramon Arias Very very good!!,Irish Johnny Caldwell,jonny jamito! Thanks again for the video I got it> You KNOW Sweet that after the fight Eder was congradulated by the Medal camp, Canto Robledo(blind,great guy) Went over from the Medal camp & hugged Eder!!!The fans were really upset, Eder just was a great sportsman (from RING)Really both are throw backs, but for years the bantys were kinda lackluster, until Eder came along!! Excuse me but I gotta watch Jofre-Medal your #1!!! NOPE I take that back your the champ!!! mucho gracias ,Sweetness!!! ..... !!
God bless your enthusiasm man

And you're right Eder was a great sportsman and he often faced hostile crowds because he wasn't scared to fight outside of his backyard. He went all over the place to fight: USA, Columbia, Venezuela, Philippines, Japan etc. Now that's a champion!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #26
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
That's very hard to believe.

I would like to see footage of the many fighters Jofre fought i am not sure about, before i dismiss them as being as bad as Ricardo's.
It's VERY hard to imagine a more ordinary lot than Lopez's comp. Jose Medel himself looks better than anyone Lopez fought with the possible exception of Alvarez, who I thought beat and then drew with Lopez when Lopez was at the end of his career. Certainly there's no Fighting Haradas on Lopez's ledger.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #27
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
He isn't top 20, i think rin g rank him like 18 or 19 or some shit but if they included fighters pre 1920, he would have been like 25 on thier list.

His resume is about as good as a prince naseem hamed or ricardo lopez.
Don't forget though that Jofre was never schooled in the manner Hamed was against Barrera, and Fighting Harada is a better fighter than Barrera imo. Jofre also had more longevity moving up in weight and having a second career, Hamed didn't do that. I think Jofre looks more impressive than what Hamed does as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #28
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Don't forget though that Jofre was never schooled in the manner Hamed was against Barrera, and Fighting Harada is a better fighter than Barrera imo. Jofre also had more longevity moving up in weight and having a second career, Hamed didn't do that. I think Jofre looks more impressive than what Hamed does as well.
Prince Naseem Hamed himself is a bantamweight, not sure why people tend to forget this.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #29
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Prince Naseem Hamed himself is a bantamweight, not sure why people tend to forget this.
Yeah but what had he achieved at bantamweight on a world class stage? That's kind of like saying Roberto Duran was a featherweight.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #30
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Chuco Castillo could bust up Olivares and win a 14 round tko and Eder Jofre couldn't? Rafael Herrera could bloody and ko Olivares and Eder Jofre couldn't? Jofre was superior to the guys that Olivares ko'ed. Ruben Olivares ws a great fighter, and I was a fan of his, but remember, that Eder Jofre is called "the greatest fighter you've never seen", and some have called him the greatest p4p along with Sugar Ray Robinson. Sure, many of us have never seen him in action, but there are many who have, and they'll tell you that he could do it all, outbox an opponent, or ko him with left or right. I just have a feeling that you posters are casually underrating one of the best fighters of all time who could have boxed Olivares, avoided getting tagged too hard, and was capable of stopping the often decked, defensively porous Ruben Olivares. As for comparing the styles of Olivares and that of Fighting Harada, remember that Harada was a fast volume puncher who smothered his opponents and was hard to nail cleanly in return, whereas Olivares set down more on his punches and was open more to a talented puncher like Jofre. I still maintain that Eder Jofre was far ahead as a complete fighter than anyone, far more so than Lionel Rose, for example, anyone that Olivares ever fought. Jofre by a knockout in 6 over Olivares.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum