Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Evander Holyfield - How Strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Look at it this way - you have 37 years left to get to where Chuvalo is.

In fact, if my calculations are right, you only have to increase your bench press by 5 pounds each year and at 70 you'll be benching 430 !

Think positive, and keeping lifting.
Thank you....I feel like going to the gym now...
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

btw,the chuvalo frazier fight is on u-tube watch how george keeps backing joe up nobody but foreman did that to frazier.chuvalo was a strong guy indeed
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74
I know Ken Norton is supposed to be heavy into weight lifting and is supposedly pretty strong. Norton said he never lifted weights during his boxing career - just calisthenics and plyometric type stuff - and he feels that if he had lifted weights he would have been a better fighter. Norton said that in an interview in a boxing magazine from way back. In the same interview, Norton remarked that Earnie Shavers regularly lifted weights.
chuvalo did lift as a fighter,some say thats what made his punching slower.
i've meet george chuvalo on 3 occassions,once at a sports dinner with gordie howe as well
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Physically as strong as most of the much larger heavy he ever faced,

Mentally... Unmatchable...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

In 1989, I read that Holyfield started incorporating weight training into his daily routine. At that time he could bench press about 185lbs. After a year he got so strong that he could bench press 375lbs. 12 times after his heart was already elevated from running or something to that effect. Holyfield singlehandedly debunked the myth that proper weight training cannot help boxers. It enabled him to outmuscled Tyson and Bowe (in the second fight) among others in clinches.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #21
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

tyson didn't use weights until prison/post-prison. And Holyfield is definitely strong, look how built the guy was. But he wasn't as hard puncher as say Tyson. There's a difference between physical strength and punching power.
josak is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #22
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
At that time he could bench press about 185lbs. After a year he got so strong that he could bench press 375lbs. 12 times after his heart was already elevated from running or something to that effect.
...And I wonder how he accomplished that?
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
12 times after his heart was already elevated from running or something to that effect.
What?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #24
Sardu
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
What?

The details are murky because I read this stuff many years ago in Sports Illustrated. It was during the time that Holyfield knocked out a south american heavyweight named Adilson Rodriguez. I do remember the article stating that Holyfields strength gains were immense. The 375lb. bench press of 12 reps was true. Holyfield, in his recent book vehemently denies using steriods or HGH. Claims it goes against his deeply-rooted Christian principles. He was never busted and I would have to believe the man unless it was proven otherwise. He's just an incredibly hard worker who believes in his abilities.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Why was his heart and what not giving out years ago, then?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #26
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Holyfield may or may not have used drugs, but I never understand when people cite his "move up" from cruiser as evidence.
What I wonder is, if Holyfield was such a steroid/HGH user then why has he stayed down at 215 or thereabouts for the last 15 years ?

He's 6'2 1/2, amd he's broad shouldered. Why did he put on only 15-25 pounds and stop there ?

Michael Spinks looks beefy as hell at 208 pounds against Cooney, just two years after weighing in at 175, but I dont hear many steroid allegations.

Big guys like Bruno and Lewis packed on anything between 25 and 35 pounds in their careers.
Razor Ruddock turned professional at 185 or so.

A 28 year old Ray Mercer in the Olympics (200 pound class) compared to the way he looked a few years later in the professional ranks is quite severe too.

Point is, if Holyfield's a major juicer, and he's being out-sized by guys like Bowe, and Lewis, and he's roughly as tall and broad as a Rahman or McCall, then isn't it odd that he stayed at such a medium bodyweight ?
For a guy who's a drug user ?!?
Why did we never see a 230, 235 pound Holyfield ?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #27
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Holyfield may or may not have used drugs, but I never understand when people cite his "move up" from cruiser as evidence.
What I wonder is, if Holyfield was such a steroid/HGH user then why has he stayed down at 215 or thereabouts for the last 15 years ?

He's 6'2 1/2, amd he's broad shouldered. Why did he put on only 15-25 pounds and stop there ?

Michael Spinks looks beefy as hell at 208 pounds against Cooney, just two years after weighing in at 175, but I dont hear many steroid allegations.

Big guys like Bruno and Lewis packed on anything between 25 and 35 pounds in their careers.
Razor Ruddock turned professional at 185 or so.

A 28 year old Ray Mercer in the Olympics (200 pound class) compared to the way he looked a few years later in the professional ranks is quite severe too.

Point is, if Holyfield's a major juicer, and he's being out-sized by guys like Bowe, and Lewis, and he's roughly as tall and broad as a Rahman or McCall, then isn't it odd that he stayed at such a medium bodyweight ?
For a guy who's a drug user ?!?
Why did we never see a 230, 235 pound Holyfield ?
You make some good observations. I have read through Holyfield's book, and he does seem to be pretty honest and straightforward about things. Holyfield states that what helped him move up to the heavyweight division, along with all of the weight training, was the simple act of him not being so drastic with his diet. Apparently Holyfield had to work pretty hard to keep his weight below the cruiswerweight limit. Once he decided to move up in weight to heavyweight, he didn't have to be so restrictive with his diet. And that, combined with the weight training, saw him move up rather quickly.

And for the guy who posted asking about Holyfield's heart problem; yeah, he was diagnosed with a "non-compliant left ventricle" immediately following the Moorer loss. But I'm still a little confused about that whole diagnosis. He was also diagnosed with having a whole in his heart. But then the diagnosis was later reversed and his heart troubles were chalked up to a huge influx of morphine used to treat Holyfield's hurt shoulder, along with a bit of dehydration suffered in the Moorer fight. Those two things apparently produced a misdiagnosis of Holyfield's heart problem. But in Holyfield's book he chalks up his "being healed" to Benny Hin working his magic......pheeew! Who knows!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #28
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Holyfield, in his recent book vehemently denies using steriods or HGH. Claims it goes against his deeply-rooted Christian principles. He was never busted and I would have to believe the man unless it was proven otherwise. He's just an incredibly hard worker who believes in his abilities.
Of course he would deny it.
Deeply-rooted Christian principles never stopped Lee Haney or Ronnie Coleman from 'turning the other cheek.' And let's not forget Holyfield trained with Lee Haney.

So you want to tell me in one year, he packed 190 lbs. onto his bench press naturally? Mate, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #29
Sardu
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Of course he would deny it.
Deeply-rooted Christian principles never stopped Lee Haney or Ronnie Coleman from 'turning the other cheek.' And let's not forget Holyfield trained with Lee Haney.

So you want to tell me in one year, he packed 190 lbs. onto his bench press naturally? Mate, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...

Did boxing have steroid testing back in the 90's I wonder? Baseball is now coming down like a ton of bricks on Bonds and Clemens. In professional wrestling some roid monkey killed his whole family and then himself about a year ago. Clemens might be facing perjury charges in the near future from an FBI probe.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 AM   #30
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You make some good observations. I have read through Holyfield's book, and he does seem to be pretty honest and straightforward about things. Holyfield states that what helped him move up to the heavyweight division, along with all of the weight training, was the simple act of him not being so drastic with his diet. Apparently Holyfield had to work pretty hard to keep his weight below the cruiswerweight limit. !
I haven't read the book, but this flies in the face of an interview I read with him stating "I weigh 190, 195...I've never seen 200." This was either KO or World Boxing about 1 and a half years before he moved to heavyweight.

Quote:
And for the guy who posted asking about Holyfield's heart problem; yeah, he was diagnosed with a "non-compliant left ventricle" immediately following the Moorer loss. But I'm still a little confused about that whole diagnosis. He was also diagnosed with having a whole in his heart. But then the diagnosis was later reversed and his heart troubles were chalked up to a huge influx of morphine used to treat Holyfield's hurt shoulder, along with a bit of dehydration suffered in the Moorer fight. Those two things apparently produced a misdiagnosis of Holyfield's heart problem. But in Holyfield's book he chalks up his "being healed" to Benny Hin working his magic......pheeew! Who knows!
There was something fishy about that whole heart problem saga from the start. First one story, then another, then yet something else again.

And the faith healing? Benny Hin is a decidedly shady character and Holyfield claims faith healed him. But Holyfield has been known to sprout a lot of nonsense before. Remember his bold prediction that he'd KO Lewis in three rounds because the Lord said he would?
What happened there?
Either Holyfield was delusional or lying, or God was.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum