Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Guzman inks contract for Arthur fight

By JIM BLACK

JOAN GUZMAN has signed to defend his WBO super-featherweight title against Alex Arthur, according to promoters Sports Network. The 31-year-old undefeated Dominican must travel to Britain after Frank ****** won the purse bid with an offer of $280,000 to secure home advantage for Arthur.

Sports Network are expected to announce a date and venue next week, with either Glasgow or London hosting the bout.

The 29-year-old Edinburgh boxer was installed as mandatory challenger after winning the vacant WBO interim title against Koba Gogoladze in Cardiff last July then defending it against Steve Foster two months ago.

Meanwhile, doubts have arisen over WBU lightweight champion Lee McAllister's proposed title defence against Michael Gomez in Aberdeen on 29 March. Gomez, the only boxer to have beaten Arthur, by dint of a fifth round stoppage at Meadowbank in 2003, has apparently told sources close to him that he will not be going ahead with the bout.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Default Re: Guzman inks contract for Arthur fight

It'd be a shame for Arthur if ****** wins the bid only to put the fight on in London. It must make sense from most angles to put the fight on in Scotland?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

arthurs going to get the beating of his life, guzmans reflexes are remennicent of a young roy jones
faisal is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

I am confused to as why ****** would let Arthur near Guzman?

Or are the rumours about him protecting his fighters just rumours? Must be.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Looking at some Guzman highlights now Is Guzman more than just reflex reliant?

That said though Foster Jr's speed troubled Arthur.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Well, it lloks like AAA is going to get one of the biggest names in boxing on his resume, & seal greatness

Sorry, but its true. I know Guzman is loved by many, but hes not the fighter most people think he is, TRUST ME. I have been watching the guy for years, & hes beatable, & Arthur has the tools to do the job.

As that worn old cliche goes, styles make fights. & AAA has the style to beat Guzman. I can even predict the punch that will end this fight, left hook to the body.
If this fight happens & it now looks like it will, its going to give me great pleasure to see Guzman finally defeated, but the fact a scotsman is going to do it & become a top p4p fighter in the process makes this scotsman very, very happy.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Arthur is pretty limited. He has nothing what so ever that will trouble Guzman in the slightest. I expect this to be a near shutout in favour of Guzman.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
jupzrooni
Tyler Durden
ESB Addict

Guzman by wide ud. his speed and reflexes will frustrate aa
jupzrooni is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Well, it lloks like AAA is going to get one of the biggest names in boxing on his resume, & seal greatness

Sorry, but its true. I know Guzman is loved by many, but hes not the fighter most people think he is, TRUST ME. I have been watching the guy for years, & hes beatable, & Arthur has the tools to do the job.

As that worn old cliche goes, styles make fights. & AAA has the style to beat Guzman. I can even predict the punch that will end this fight, left hook to the body.
If this fight happens & it now looks like it will, its going to give me great pleasure to see Guzman finally defeated, but the fact a scotsman is going to do it & become a top p4p fighter in the process makes this scotsman very, very happy.

I agree Dunky.

Alex Alex Alex Alex Alex Alex Alex Arthur is ready for this fight and can score the upset and take the belt from Guzman. No doubt Guzman is a world class talent but the people limiting AAAAAAAA's abilities are just a joke. Hopefully we will see another great British champion.

This fight really does need to take place in Scotland though, it would be awful for it to take place any where else.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

I hope "Amazing" Alex Arthur can do it. Hell of a task but who knows? I hope he does Britain proud whatever the outcome.
mattress is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

This will be a tough one for Arthur. My only concern is his defence which can let him down. Arthur is good at picking shots and Guzman is somewhat open himself. For a man of hiis size Arthur is incredibly strong. If Arthur keeps his discipline he has a real chance, if he gets sloppy he will be in trouble.

Good luck to him!
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think arthur puts up a better fight than some on here reckon.

i don't think he wins though.

arthurs struggles more with pressure and right hands.

he prefers stand off boxers.

guzman is a stand off boxer.

unfortunately he's ****ing good at it and will win on pts i fancy.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
D.Haye-no1-p4p
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty

Love is blind indeed.
D.Haye-no1-p4p is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Yeh yeh yeh, Arthur will be shut out etc etc etc. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge. I for one feel Arthur can pull it out of the bag, especially with me and the other Scots roaring him onto glory in the crowd. I know the odds are stacked against him, but can you honestly say it's a 100% dead certainty Arthur will lose....Nah, can you ****.

Im blinded my nationalism and my support for Arthur, maybe, but whatever, see you at the fight.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict

vCash: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith
Yeh yeh yeh, Arthur will be shut out etc etc etc. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge. I for one feel Arthur can pull it out of the bag, especially with me and the other Scots roaring him onto glory in the crowd. I know the odds are stacked against him, but can you honestly say it's a 100% dead certainty Arthur will lose....Nah, can you ****.

Im blinded my nationalism and my support for Arthur, maybe, but whatever, see you at the fight.

i would. Guzman is so slick, has a dig and stamina to burn, gogoladze ran rings round AAA till he gassed guilavich?(sp) was winning till the cuts too (whatever the scorecards said) as much as i would like to see another home grown champion, AAA gets the granny beaten out of him, totally outclassed and stopped possibly early.
stuey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum