Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Thomas Hearns vs Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio @ welterweight

Prime vs prime, how do you think Hearns does against Robinson and Basilio at welterweight?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Thomas Hearns vs Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio @ welterweight

Loses to Robinson by KO5. Haven't taken the time out to think about how a Basilio matchup would go down.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Thomas Hearns vs Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio @ welterweight

Not sure, I think Robinson and Basilio could win in 1 or 2 rounds. No way Hearns takes on 2 all time greats at once, and wins.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Robinson was unquestionably the greatest welterweight of all-time. At that weight I feel he was the greatest PFP fighter ever. So needless to say I pick Robinson to defeat Hearns. Probably by late round knockout. Basilio was usually the kind of fighter on paper Hearns would destroy. He was on the short side (5ft.61/2") and he came straight foward. However, Basilio was different from a guy like Cuevas in one all-important regard. That being he had an impregnable chin and his stamina was also second to none. So Hearns' murderous punch at WW would not cause Carmen too many problems. Hearns was also a terrific boxer (see Leonard I and Benitez fights). But Carmen's pressure would ostensibly make Hearns wilt as the fight progressed IMO.

Robinson KO 9 Hearns
Basilio KO 13 Hearns
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Robinson was unquestionably the greatest welterweight of all-time. At that weight I feel he was the greatest PFP fighter ever. So needless to say I pick Robinson to defeat Hearns. Probably by late round knockout. Basilio was usually the kind of fighter on paper Hearns would destroy. He was on the short side (5ft.61/2") and he came straight foward. However, Basilio was different from a guy like Cuevas in one all-important regard. That being he had an impregnable chin and his stamina was also second to none. So Hearns' murderous punch at WW would not cause Carmen too many problems. Hearns was also a terrific boxer (see Leonard I and Benitez fights). But Carmen's pressure would ostensibly make Hearns wilt as the fight progressed IMO.

Robinson KO 9 Hearns
Basilio KO 13 Hearns
Cuevas was thought to have a great chin as well prior to meeting Hearns. There's no way a smaller fighter like that is gonna just walk straight through Hearns's punches on his way to beating him up. I'll take Hearns by mid rounds TKO. If he gets Duran, he'll get Basilio.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Not sure, I think Robinson and Basilio could win in 1 or 2 rounds. No way Hearns takes on 2 all time greats at once, and wins.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Robinson was the best at WW ever, but he had trouble with a lot of guys and got a few decision that the other guys should have gotter. That being said, he would have a tough time beating Hearns. Nobody at WW could outbox hearns and I think Hearns would be win until Sugar Ray came back from behing to rough him up and stop him. Basileo would just be too small to be competitive with Tommy and would outboxed.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Cuevas was thought to have a great chin as well prior to meeting Hearns. There's no way a smaller fighter like that is gonna just walk straight through Hearns's punches on his way to beating him up. I'll take Hearns by mid rounds TKO. If he gets Duran, he'll get Basilio.

Your points are well taken Sweet Pea. Hearns was at his best at 154 in that Duran fight IMO. But duran definitely came in ill prepared and did not train with the fervor he had for Davey Moore or Hagler. Basilio was consistent and always in top shape. I'll even dare say his chin might have been a tad better than Duran's (although Duran's chin was legendary also). Duran was also a defensive genius who nullified the impact of blows by subtly moving his head and rolling with a punch at the last instant. Basilio had a rawboned toughness that was really exceptional.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hearns decisions Basilio.

Probably loses to SRR by KO, but may outbox him if he tied him up when he got hurt.
markedwardscott is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

I believe SRR would have to come on late in the fight to KO Hearns in a very close fight with both hurt at times...I go with SRR due to durability and power, he has the capability to step it up and catch Hearns.
Hearns/Basilio? It's easy to discredit Basilio and disregard his chances...But look at the record, he fought everybody in the era, and went toe to toe with stronger/harder hitting opposition...This is a tough one to call for me...but I'll take Hearns by close decision
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Prime vs prime, how do you think Hearns does against Robinson and Basilio at welterweight?
SRR kos him ,Hearns stops Basilio on a tko ,cuts.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum