Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
ribtickler68
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Which Heavyweights fall from Rocky's right?

The right hand that floored Walcott in their first fight? I am interested to hear opinions on this and how much power is needed to knock pretty much any man out. Who takes the right and who crumbles? For example, would Lewis go if hit with the same shot; or Liston? Not debating the relative merits of fighters, just the quality of one punch.

Last edited by ribtickler68; 12-26-2013 at 05:49 AM.
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which Heavyweights fall from Rocky's right?

a punch like that perfectly timed could hurt anyone from Lennox Lewis to JL SULLIVAN ...Walcott survived some big punchers in beating the murders row black heavyweights and only the Brown Bomber in the 2nd fight caught a well -conditioned JJW in a buzz-saw 6 punch combo that no man could have survived....McCall & Rahman were big men but cant really say they were elite punchers...good punchers YES

Can Marciano land that perfect punch as he did with Layne, Walcott, Charles, etc. but if he did it would have an impact for sure
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
a punch like that perfectly timed could hurt anyone from Lennox Lewis to JL SULLIVAN ...Walcott survived some big punchers in beating the murders row black heavyweights and only the Brown Bomber in the 2nd fight caught a well -conditioned JJW in a buzz-saw 6 punch combo that no man could have survived....McCall & Rahman were big men but cant really say they were elite punchers...good punchers YES

Can Marciano land that perfect punch as he did with Layne, Walcott, Charles, etc. but if he did it would have an impact for sure
No one walks away from it easily , that's for sure .. maybe a Mercer , Chivalo or an Oliver McCall absorb it but no one sneezes at it ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
ribtickler68
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
No one walks away from it easily , that's for sure .. maybe a Mercer , Chivalo or an Oliver McCall absorb it but no one sneezes at it ..
This is what I was getting at: How do you go about measuring power of punches merely by reacting to their impact? It's obviously a perfect punch, and did it's job; I was just picturing it landing on Dempsey or Ali.

I think this punch may have been redundant against the taller fighters like Lewis or the Klitshko's because it would become an overhand right and would be very hard to deliver, but for reachable guys it would be devastating.
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Whoever it hit, if they were still on their feet, they'd most likely be holding on for dear life in a clinch...
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I know Marciano's right is the star but I think plenty could get done in with that nasty left hook once he'd developed it, let alone the right.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Not many could survive a perfectly thrown "Suzie Q"....
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jesus Christ All****ing Mighty.

Walcott ate about 6 of the same right hands earlier in the fight. It wasn't until he was bounding off the ropes and tired as a 38 year old man in the 13th round of his 70th fight that it had the effect it did.

Let me in on a little secret, friends. Just about all elite heavies punch very, very hard.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

Walcott ate about 6 of the same right hands earlier in the fight. It wasn't until he was bounding off the ropes and tired as a 38 year old man in the 13th round of his 70th fight that it had the effect it did.

Let me in on a little secret, friends. Just about all elite heavies punch very, very hard.
BS..... perfectly timed powerful punch, late power in a grueling fight 13th round and Walcott was fit as a fiddle...some heavyweights can not fight 10 rounds...the question asked was would that punch hurt or KO anyone and if it landed it certainty would KO or hurt anyone badly
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
BS..... perfectly timed powerful punch, late power in a grueling fight 13th round and Walcott was fit as a fiddle...some heavyweights can not fight 10 rounds...the question asked was would that punch hurt or KO anyone and if it landed it certainty would KO or hurt anyone badly
I have watched that fight twice in the past couple months. An already tired Walcott shot his wad in the 11th and was begging to be KO'd afterward. Like I said, Marciano lands half a dozen similar rights in the fight, just none against a Walcott that tired and moving into the punch.

Last edited by Seamus; 12-26-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

Quote:
I have watched that fight twice in the past couple months. An already tired Walcott shot his wad in the 11th and was begging to be KO'd afterward. Like I said, Marciano lands half a dozen similar rights ib the fight, just none against a Walcott that tired and movung ibto the punch.
Don't be alarmed, Seamos, but you're having a mibor struke, mote.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Don't be alarmed, Seamos, but you're having a mibor struke, mote.
new fangled phone!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

Quote:
new fangled phone!

My phone is connected to my wall and it just calls people like it's supposed to. ...Jealous?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
My phone is connected to my wall and it just calls people like it's supposed to. ...Jealous?
Time was when that's all a man needed. Now these new fangled contraptions just gurbulate all my good wordsmithin'.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

While this is true, how many elite heavies have the stamina and willpower to land their best late in the fight as Rocky did? Very few.

I have seen heavy hitters like Tua punk out, and others like Foreman gas. Other power hitters like Shavers and Morrison, who I think hit harder than Rocky had shaky chins. Others like Dempsey or Tyson were front runners, meaning they were not as dangerous later in the fight.

So its really Rocky's stamina, solid but untested on the higher levels durability and will power that made him dangerous despite his relatively small size. It took him on average 9 rounds to win in his championship fights. He wasn't blowing the class away of his time, outside of the 2nd Walcott fight, where I feel Walcott opted not to get up until he heard 10, then was fine.
Mendoza is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum