Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #46
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Round and about.
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post
So I'm not the only one who carries around a spare mouth guard?

Rash guard? Cup? Too much?


If you're caught in a 'live' situation minus yr mouth guard (schoolboy error I know) I guess you could always start wrapping yr hands. That'll soon see 'em off.

If you're all outta had wrap win it mentally by shadow boxing, maybe even putting in a few push ups like Hopkins did against wasn't it Pascal. Game over.

Last edited by ant-man; 01-09-2014 at 02:08 AM. Reason: HAD TO SEE OFF A FEW ASSAILANTS WHILST TYPING THIS POST.
ant-man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #47
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

You need to understand the consequences of fighting, because it sounds like you have little or no experience in real fighting. It's not the same as boxing.

1. If you're truly a bad dude, you might literally kill, paralyze, etc. the other person. You wouldn't feel good about that and it would make everyone hate you.

2. If you're standing there talking to a person about fighting them, you're an idiot.

3. When you get in a fight, police get called. You go to jail. You get charges. You get fines. You get a record.

4. Sometimes, you will ganged up on, shot, or stabbed.

5. You're a boxer. The last thing on your mind should be shattering your hands on another person's skull. You'll be out of the gym for half a year if you land a solid shot.

6. Telling someone you're a boxer is inviting trouble and can be used against you in court. It also tips them off that they should just tackle you. if you're truly as tough as you think, you have a responsibility to walk away. The dude isn't worth your time and your attitude should reflect it.

I'm a tall skinny guy and I look like anyone could beat me up. I don't care, because I'm a decent boxer and don't do it for my looks or for self defense. People who know of me but haven't met me are always surprised because I really look like a pushover. I've heard what they say after I leave ("You sure he really boxes?? I feel like I could just trash him in a fight...") People that know I box but don't really know me are always looking for a way to get me to fight (usually because they're drunk).

I personally don't feel the need and will only fight if I feel endangered or to protect my friends. It doesn't do anything for my self esteem to ice some nobody in a bar because why would I expect any other result? I'm a trained fighter and know what I can do without having to prove it to myself or to non-fighters. I've become pretty adept at getting people to leave me alone.

If you really want to avoid situations, then you need to be confident, which you aren't. There's a way of making people step off by not taking their threats/words seriously. People can sense what you're willing to do by the way you look at them, speak to them, and your body language. If people are in your face it's because they don't feel intimidated by you, probably because you aren't confident in your own masculinity or abilities. Ask yourself how far you'd really be willing to take this situation. If you're literally prepared to kill the other person and have a plan to do it, they can sense it without you explicitly telling them and will usually step off or give you an out. If you aren't prepared to kill them, don't fight them.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #48
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

...Or just put your mouthpiece in and announce "I'm gonna need some names!"
DaveK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #49
R6_Ninja
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant-man View Post


If you're caught in a 'live' situation minus yr mouth guard (schoolboy error I know) I guess you could always start wrapping yr hands. That'll soon see 'em off.

If you're all outta had wrap win it mentally by shadow boxing, maybe even putting in a few push ups like Hopkins did against wasn't it Pascal. Game over.
Don't know about you mate but I don't get involved a straightener unless Michael Buffer is on hand to announce the particulars
R6_Ninja is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #50
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Round and about.
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_Ninja View Post
Don't know about you mate but I don't get involved a straightener unless Michael Buffer is on hand to announce the particulars


And some Tecate girls of course.
ant-man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,059
vCash: 32000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
You need to understand the consequences of fighting, because it sounds like you have little or no experience in real fighting. It's not the same as boxing.

1. If you're truly a bad dude, you might literally kill, paralyze, etc. the other person. You wouldn't feel good about that and it would make everyone hate you.

2. If you're standing there talking to a person about fighting them, you're an idiot.

3. When you get in a fight, police get called. You go to jail. You get charges. You get fines. You get a record.

4. Sometimes, you will ganged up on, shot, or stabbed.

5. You're a boxer. The last thing on your mind should be shattering your hands on another person's skull. You'll be out of the gym for half a year if you land a solid shot.

6. Telling someone you're a boxer is inviting trouble and can be used against you in court. It also tips them off that they should just tackle you. if you're truly as tough as you think, you have a responsibility to walk away. The dude isn't worth your time and your attitude should reflect it.

This should be hung up in gyms.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I'm a tall skinny guy and I look like anyone could beat me up. I don't care, because I'm a decent boxer and don't do it for my looks or for self defense. People who know of me but haven't met me are always surprised because I really look like a pushover. I've heard what they say after I leave ("You sure he really boxes?? I feel like I could just trash him in a fight...") People that know I box but don't really know me are always looking for a way to get me to fight (usually because they're drunk).

I personally don't feel the need and will only fight if I feel endangered or to protect my friends. It doesn't do anything for my self esteem to ice some nobody in a bar because why would I expect any other result? I'm a trained fighter and know what I can do without having to prove it to myself or to non-fighters. I've become pretty adept at getting people to leave me alone.

If you really want to avoid situations, then you need to be confident, which you aren't. There's a way of making people step off by not taking their threats/words seriously. People can sense what you're willing to do by the way you look at them, speak to them, and your body language. If people are in your face it's because they don't feel intimidated by you, probably because you aren't confident in your own masculinity or abilities. Ask yourself how far you'd really be willing to take this situation. If you're literally prepared to kill the other person and have a plan to do it, they can sense it without you explicitly telling them and will usually step off or give you an out. If you aren't prepared to kill them, don't fight them.
Yeah, most guys (especially the younger or feebler minded they are) don't seem to realize that less is more - loads more when you want to cast off "don't **** with me" signals. A subtle (non-cinematic) well-placed and genuinely meant warning glare will make anyone shit their pants faster than any boast or threat shouted at max volume.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #52
good boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOTTZ
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

OP - I hope you get iced half way through your big man sentance

****ing idiot
good boy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #53
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Op musta dropped his line... jaw is prob wired shut at the very moment
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #54
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Round and about.
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2005 View Post
Op musta dropped his line... jaw is prob wired shut at the very moment


He won't be exercising the rematch clause..
ant-man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

lol.....like I said...I've seen so many shite boxers before, saying stuff like "I wonder what I could do to a regular person if they stepped to me.." and i'm thinking "you'd probably get your ass whooped by a fat outta shape bum, and never show your face at the gym again" lol.
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #56
oiky
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

this is ridiculous. i know some GREAT boxers from my local gyms who have bin battered on the streets,, and some great street fighting men come down to train on sparring nights and get smashed all about the ring... this post is all kinds of silly, boxing & fighting on the streets is a completely different thing.. its all in the mind on the streets in the fact that because a boxer may feel uncomfortable as he's not fighting in his normal environment he may be unnerved & not perform well which I've sin happen many times... and most people i know who can box don't fight like they are in a boxing ring if they get into a scrap on the streets... why do you think some bareknuckle boxers make great boxers of that style and some gloved boxers don't make such good bareknucklers? coz the stance (or at least it was years & years ago) is different and a lot of the evasive manouvers are aswell... don't get me wrong you might be a boxer that doesn't give a shit where the circumstances of a fight come but your talking like everyone will feel the same in the same environment when really its a different kettle of fish on both sides.
oiky is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #57
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
This.

And grow up. You say you don't want to fight yet your "line" would be "listen, I fight 3 times a week, you fight a maximum of twice a year". You think bashing a guy's ego isn't going to make things worse?

The fact that you're a boxer shouldn't even come into the conversation. Boxing is a set of skills, it's not something to be thrown around in a vain attempt to force people to respect you.
Exactly! I agree with you. I mean, I respect the skills of boxers and other martial artists, but I don't respect the ego and vanity that a lot of these "trained" fighters often exude. Having fighting skills and being able to beat up a lot of other people doesn't make a guy untouchable or above anyone else -- especially not in today's crazy world, where the smallest, scrawniest guy could simply snap and pick-up a gun and start shooting.

Having said that, I think the original poster was just simply seeking honest advice; I don't think he was trying to act tough or brag about being a tough guy. But a lot of trained fighters do have that "I'm a tough guy" attitude and act, especially the MMA guys, those Affliction/Tap-Out meatheads....Most of those guys I cannot stand.

I respect true martial artists that carry themselves with dignity and restraint.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #58
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJonesJnr View Post
5'9" and 61.5kg - you are very small.
5'9" is average height.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #59
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 1000
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
You know what? If some guy comes up and wants to fight, light him up. Why bullshit around it? You go to the gym because you like to fight, so there is obviously a willingness to put your hands on another individual. So don't trip. Tune him up.
If you are afraid of getting lit up...If you are afraid of getting your ass kicked, you don't have the mentality to be a fighter.
This guy sounds street certified just like Kimbo Slice. I can smell the testosterone and alphaness from here!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #60
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 1306
Default Re: People trying to fight you, not knowing your a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilisticteen View Post
Being a 61.5kg light welteweight, clothed I look like I have the build of your average scrawny 18 year old. Unclothed its a different story, but when the odd a$$hole decides to pick on me for whatever reason, because the a$$hole has absolutely no idea im a boxer, I really need a solid line or sentence I can drop to let them know im a fighter and f*cking with me would not be a good idea, whilst trying not to sound arrogant.

So far ive planned to say something along the lines of "listen, I fight 3 times a week, you fight a maximum of twice a year"

Some people who know me and the fact I can fight, genuinely would not fight me as they told me themselves. Obviously to a stranger im anybody, and it would not surprise me if people would still try get in my face and fight even if they found out I was a boxer, because some people are ignorant to the difference in fighting ability between themselves and a trained fighter. I dont like confrontation, but I love the respect I get nowdays for being a trained fighter and it does annoy me when people are stupid enough to judge me on my 5'9 and 61.5kg build and assume im easy meat, what should I say to warn people who are pushing to fight me without sounding ****y?
Don't think of a fight as soon as someone disses you. Just outwit them, and if they start getting close and trying to intimidate you physically, you gotta make it physical.

If they pull out a gun/knife though, it's time to run.
xRedx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013