Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Norton vs. Joe Walcott

I assume we're taking the very best versions of these fighters, which I'm guessing is the 1974 Ken Norton who beat Ali versus the version(s) of Joe Walcott who either troubled Louis or beat Ezzard Charles.

Very tough pick, especially considering that when these guys were in shape and ready to fight, they meant business. Both guys had a good punch, but neither were very big hitters, and if anything I'd probably give the edge in power to Norton, but Walcott's hook would be a threat. Both guys troubled slick Boxers, but I think Norton has the edge there too. I don't think that too many fighters can hold a candle to Norton's wins over Ali and Young, along with a very galant effiort against a peak Holmes. That's an impressive record against all time great technicians. Norton had some chin issues, but mainly when it came to fighting some of the very hardest hitters of all time-something Walcott Wasn't. I think this would be a long and competitive fight with both men using the maximum of their abilities and each winning a fair share of rounds. In the end though, I would expect Norton's constant pressure and more aggressive style combined with his slightly superior strength to wear down and stop Jersey late, or take a decision.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I like Walcott in this big time, Joe was more of a strait puncher and could level you with either hand, Norton was more of a roundhouse puncher, Joe had good footwork but I think Ken would try and pressure Joe and Joe would move for a few rounds and give Ken side movement and feints until Joe timed Ken with a well placed left hook followed by a right to place Ken on the canvas...it would depend on how aggressive or hurt Ken was after that point,Joe would tee off and see if he could finish Ken off or coast to a UD but Walcott had the power to KO Ken also. All around J.J.W. was the better fighter
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Jersey Joe, of course.

Winner?
Walcott by dec ,and he would floor Norton along the way ,a bit too smart for Kenny ,imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Jersey Joe Walcott takes this one. He is so vastly underrated. He would be too slick and punch too hard for Ken Norton. Yes Norton more than held his own with Ali and beat some very good fighters along the way. But Walcott would be able to defeat Norton and quite possibly score a KO in doing so.
DFW is offline  Top
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Norton was great against boxer-types, but I do think Walcott would be a little bit of a different animal for him, not really the same variety as an Ali, Young or Holmes. Still, given his size, skill, and awkward pressure style, I doubt Norton would get smeared in there. Likely scenario: Walcott scores one or two early knockdowns, after that the match is slightly boring and extremely close, it goes to a split decision, large portions of the crowd boo whichever guy gets the win. I lean slightly towards Walcott.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Both these fighters have particularly unique styles, and opponents often found them awkward to box against.
It's hard to imagine how their styles would mesh.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it would be a close fight with Walcott edging it.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

While I am in not doubt that Walcott was the greater fighter I do think that Norton had the right tools to beat him. No fighter with his style is ever going to have an easy night against Norton.

If these guys fought three times I would expect a split series.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW
Jersey Joe Walcott takes this one. He is so vastly underrated. He would be too slick and punch too hard for Ken Norton. Yes Norton more than held his own with Ali and beat some very good fighters along the way. But Walcott would be able to defeat Norton and quite possibly score a KO in doing so.
The only one being underrated here is Norton, who I feel would have beat Jersey Joe comfortably. Also, like mr. magoo, I feel as if Walcotts power isn't as hard as some say.
bxrfan is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Walcott had good power; good enough to put Louis, Marciano, and Charles down. Also we might ask Harold Johnson how hard Walcott could punch. If Ken Norton couldn't handle Shavers, Cooney or Foreman's punches I can see Jersey Joe also handing him a knockout loss.
DFW is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW
Walcott had good power; good enough to put Louis, Marciano, and Charles down. Also we might ask Harold Johnson how hard Walcott could punch. If Ken Norton couldn't handle Shavers, Cooney or Foreman's punches I can see Jersey Joe also handing him a knockout loss.
\
jersey joe would prolly get kod by them too, especially if it was a past his prime walcott, he wasnt exactly known to have a great chin either. By the way, cooney foreman and shavers hit way harder than walcott, its not even a comparison.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Calroid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1956

I'd take Norton in this fight.

Norton was very competitive against boxers. His two losses against Ali could have gone either way and his loss against Holmes (when he was pass his peak) was a last round fight. Norton seemed to have the style that boxers seemed to hate.

His definitive losses were to Foreman, Shavers and Cooney, three big punchers. Power was needed to thoroughly beat Norton and if you didn't have enough of it, it would be a long night, if you could survive.

I'd take Norton to eventually get to Walcott after 10+ exhausting rounds for Walcott. Late round KO.
Calroid is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrfan
The only one being underrated here is Norton, who I feel would have beat Jersey Joe comfortably. Also, like mr. magoo, I feel as if Walcotts power isn't as hard as some say.
I agree. The odd thing is Norton catches hell for losing when he was green to a later ring ranked Garcia. Walcott seems to get a boatload of excuses, while Norton gets none. Not exactly fair and balanced.

I think Norton UD's Walcott.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I agree. The odd thing is Norton catches hell for losing when he was green to a later ring ranked Garcia. Walcott seems to get a boatload of excuses, while Norton gets none. Not exactly fair and balanced.

I think Norton UD's Walcott.
And Norton came back to avenge that loss via stoppage.
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum