Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
ibma2

vCash: 500
Default Anyone else find too much time on the speed bag is.....

counter productive. I seem to have better timing and speed by doing speed bag work a few times a week rather than daily. It seems if I do it daily my timing gets messed up as well as speed. Anyone else have this?
ibma2 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone else find too much time on the speed bag is.....

The 'speed bag', in the way it is typically used, does nothing for your timing or your speed.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I use it for like 2-3 minutes on a cool down. I agree, there are MUCH better things to spend your time on. I don't even think it's that useful, more like a play thing guys do at the gym when they're bored.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
MartyMaar
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibma2 View Post
counter productive. I seem to have better timing and speed by doing speed bag work a few times a week rather than daily. It seems if I do it daily my timing gets messed up as well as speed. Anyone else have this?
I think you're finding this because your arms get tired the more you use it, and it becomes harder to keep the rhythm.

The speed bag is great. For rhythm and timing and it helps your eyes focus on fast moving targets.
MartyMaar is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
ibma2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMaar View Post
I think you're finding this because your arms get tired the more you use it, and it becomes harder to keep the rhythm.

The speed bag is great. For rhythm and timing and it helps your eyes focus on fast moving targets.
I think the arms get more tired to. For you guys saying it is useless and there are much better things to do, can you please explain. Virtually every boxer I have ever seen professional or otherwise uses/used it. I am not saying you are wrong, I am new to this, but is there recent information that suggest it is useless? Or it is just your experience?
ibma2 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The speed bag is a gimmick. It does nothing for hand-eye coordination; Cus D'Amato proved this by hitting it for a round while wearing a blindfold. I used to be able to hit it with my eyes closed.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm not saying totally useless. I mean depending how you look at it, i'm sure table tennis has 'some' nominal benefit to boxing. Me personally, I don't even look at it.
If you want to work on your speed and coordination, I think a double end bag is more useful for speed and coordination, because at least you are punching in a semi-realistic movement.
How often do you punch in small circles above your shoulders in sparring or competition?
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
The speed bag is a gimmick. It does nothing for hand-eye coordination; Cus D'Amato proved this by hitting it for a round while wearing a blindfold. I used to be able to hit it with my eyes closed.
This.

It's a basic movement which comes down to timing of the bag. Once you're good at the speed bag you could do the movement without the bag. What's the use?

It doesn't improve timing, speed or accuracy. Timing in boxing completely different to timing the consistent bounce of the bag. It's also a completely different technique to a punch so it doesn't increase hand speed and accuracy... no. To improve accuracy you need to be aiming at something. When using the speed bag you punch where you know the bag will be, you're not aiming at the bag every punch.

It's just something that boxers hang on to with no real idea of what it does. The reason people still do it is as you said; the pros do it, so you follow. Same with the guys that get up and run 5 miles every morning... waste of time.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
TinFoilHat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 878

Double end bag is useful though. Every speedbag moves the same. Double end bags are different and move around a little more unpredictably. also you need to use real punches and there is actual distance involved. 100x better than a speedbag.
TinFoilHat is online now  Top
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
ibma2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
This.

It's a basic movement which comes down to timing of the bag. Once you're good at the speed bag you could do the movement without the bag. What's the use?

It doesn't improve timing, speed or accuracy. Timing in boxing completely different to timing the consistent bounce of the bag. It's also a completely different technique to a punch so it doesn't increase hand speed and accuracy... no. To improve accuracy you need to be aiming at something. When using the speed bag you punch where you know the bag will be, you're not aiming at the bag every punch.

It's just something that boxers hang on to with no real idea of what it does. The reason people still do it is as you said; the pros do it, so you follow. Same with the guys that get up and run 5 miles every morning... waste of time.
I agree that the double end bag has to be more useful. I have to disagree with ya on the running issue. I have done sprints and distance running. I have always felt distance running got me in better shape than sprints regardless of the sport. That is just my personal opinion. I always liked meeting in the middle, running a good pace over a solid distance, rather than sprinting or jogging.

BTW, thank you guys for the input, it is a major help to beginners. I will have to invest in a double end bag.
ibma2 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I really hate the speedbag. It's pretty much useless except for burning the shoulders out after a tough workout. It's just something boxers do to look cool/like a boxer.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
I'm not saying totally useless. I mean depending how you look at it, i'm sure table tennis has 'some' nominal benefit to boxing. Me personally, I don't even look at it.
If you want to work on your speed and coordination, I think a double end bag is more useful for speed and coordination, because at least you are punching in a semi-realistic movement.
How often do you punch in small circles above your shoulders in sparring or competition?

Accuracy ball > speed bag.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
TheRat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0

it does nothing, it does help keep your hands up. ives seen guys learn to do crazy speedbag work after a few month. nacho said that the sound is annoying and will not let people hit it
TheRat is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
4eyes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

It can be kind of fun sometimes, although I do agree with the other comments
4eyes is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #15
Ralph the Dog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 510

Speed bag and ceiling-to-floor bag are good additional tools provided you keep their use in perspective. They are no substitute for sparring or the heavy bag.
Ralph the Dog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing