Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #31
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: H2H,who beats a prime Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Jeffries would get taken out within a minute.

Depending on the bareknuckle rules, involving clinching, wrestling etc, I am not sure how to call a Sullivan/Tyson matchup, but based on boxing skills, Tyson takes him out within a round as well, and as a matter of fact, that'd be my verdict on that one under any ruleset as well.

I just don't get how people think guys of that era had anywhere near the skillset of modern fighters(or fighters from around the 30's/40's and on) when the difference on film is so clear.
I doubt that any fighter in history could have taken out Jeffries or Sullivan inside a round.

My firm beleif is that fighters of that era were just as skilled as the best today but under a diferent rule set.

Take Jem Mace for example. Joe Goss was one of the best fighters of his weight at the time and Mace stood with his hands on his hips slipping his punches and taunting him.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I doubt that any fighter in history could have taken out Jeffries or Sullivan inside a round.

My firm beleif is that fighters of that era were just as skilled as the best today but under a diferent rule set.

Take Jem Mace for example. Joe Goss was one of the best fighters of his weight at the time and Mace stood with his hands on his hips slipping his punches and taunting him.
Under modern ruleset, do you believe that a guy like Jefries, having seen him on film, or Ketchell, could compete with the guys of tday? Under modern rles that is, because based on technique, they are not even close.

Last edited by deathdrums; 03-12-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #33
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

The thing about a prime Tyson was that he was also very young.

I wonder how he would match up with someone who had more experience behind them who was around 30 when they were prime.

I think some guys like Holyfield, Holmes and Ali would give him trouble especially because of their proven chins, they could survive the early rounds and come up with strategy for the late rounds.

Guys like Lewis and Foreman have the power to slow him down but they can be dropped as well.

Lewis with his good skills, good uppercut on the inside and experience I could see beating Tyson as long as he doesnt get caught. He can use his reach and jab to keep Tyson on the outside and when Tyson gets on the inside he needs to land that uppercut. He fights tall so I could see him keeping his head out of Tysons reach and landing good counters and winning on a UD or late TKO.

Holyfield has the right style for him and has the chin to trade with him as well. Ali while he doesnt have the power, you can never really count him out, especially with the chin he showed and some of the stuff he pulled in his 30s when he was past his best.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
I can only think of a handful, if that. The first two being Ali and Foreman. Foreman because of Tyson's fear of fighting him from what i heard which was probably put into tyson's head by D'mato. He always said a style like Tyson's would n't work against Foreman just like Fraziers didn't
if cus hadnt died no1
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #35
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Under modern ruleset, do you believe that a guy like Jefries, having seen him on film, or Ketchell, could compete with the guys of tday? Under modern rles that is, because based on technique, they are not even close.
They would be competitive but would tend to loose to the best.

Ketchells power and pressure alone could get him within spitting distance of the title. Jeffries physical atributes would get him a belt today. Some styles would be efected more than others. You could get a swarmer who was a carbon copy of Ricky Hatton in 1910 for example.

Where they would fall down is if we match them with another all time great under a rule set that was not right for them.

On the other hand you have to ask how George Foreman would have done in a 25 rounder.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #36
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Lewis possibly.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #37
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekirkbycobra
if cus hadnt died no1
If Lewis were invincible nobody would have beaten him.

Ever.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

I have a very short list...Prime Tyson around the Spinks fight was an ATG head to head heavyweight no question...IMO.
Ali by dec. - Would have to survive some tough moments and would...psychologically he would own Tyson from the press conference on.
Foreman by TKO in 6- Foreman's resilency discourages Tyson...Foreman is the bigger bully!
Lewis by decision- Lewis is a much harder punching version of Douglas...I'll take a motivated Lennox Lewis in this one.
Holyfield by decision- This is one I'm not completely comfortable with...but Holyfield has always had the mentality to beat Tyson...Tyson was/and is Holyfield's "Holy Grail" If anyone has Tyson's number it's Holyfield...He has that edge on Tyson.
That's it for me...
Generally I rate Larry Holmes high on these types of lists, to do well with other ATG's...but against Tyson? Nope....the reason? Tyson was trained practically from day one to fight and beat Holmes from Cus...slip the jab with right hand counter...Tyson has Holmes' number! IMO

Last edited by Novirasputin; 03-12-2007 at 05:21 PM.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #39
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Ali
Liston
Holyfield
Foreman
Frazier
Louis
Dempsey

Last edited by Sonny's jab; 03-02-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #40
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali,Foreman,maybe Lewis
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #41
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax
Lewis does not have the chin to beat a rampaging megatyson
No such thing as megatyson.

There is only Tyson.

Besides Tyson is not the best one punch knockout artist ever.

He actually out-weighs some of these tall guys in the highlight videos.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #42
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Hello Jazzo.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #43
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Personally (and I've said this before) I think it's hard to compare across long timespans. Do I think that Dempsey, Marciano and Louis could survive a 20-30 pound heavier as well as faster (at least when it comes to handspeed) Tyson - probably not.

But if they were active in Tyson's era they would probably be bigger, stronger and maybe even faster than they were in their own. And then I would definitely give them a shot. Tyson - Dempsey would be fireworks.

The ones I see quite clearly beating Tyson are Ali and a motivated Lewis. Ali (even in his own era) was just to fast and skillfull. When he was still young Tyson met two fighters who moved quite well - Tucker and Douglas - and they both caused him problems. And they were nothing like Ali. Hell, even Patterson couldn't touch Ali (not even before Patterson's back gave out) and he was faster than Tyson. Ali would stay up on his toes, jab and throw quick combinations and flurries and move in on Tyson when he got frustrated and started to tire - probably somewhere in the middle rounds. Tyson would probably catch Ali with some good punches, but not frequently enough to get him into trouble. Ali TKO or KO in the late rounds.

Lewis moved pretty well for such a big guy and was a very accomplished counter puncher with a good jab and a great right. Tyson might take him out in the early rounds, but if he didn't Lewis would go to work and probably KO Tyson in the later rounds. Lewis wins 2 out of 3 IMO.

I would probably give Frazier and Holyfield a slight edge against Tyson. Against Liston I would give Tyson the edge, but they were 30 years apart, though. Holmes and Foreman are hard to tell, really. Toss-ups.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #44
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

You might be right. Hard to tell, really. He did survive some brutal punches by V. Klitschko, though. But I will happily concede that Klitschko isn't as lethal a finisher as a prime Tyson.

But, ok. The only one I clearly favour over a prime Tyson would be Ali then. I'll give Lewis, Frazier and Holyfield slight edges.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #45
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Hello Jazzo.
Hello.
Jazzo is offline  Top