Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #61
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: H2H,who beats a prime Tyson

Did slicksouthpaw16 say that Foreman had "good" stamina?
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #62
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

A prime Tyson was fast, agrisive and strong. His defence was as important to his game as his power.
I think Lennox Lewis has the best chance to beat a prime Tyson. It would be interesting to see if Lewis could stant up to Tyson's punches. If he could I can see Lewis wining a close decesion.
I think a prime Ali would cause problems for Tyson, but Tyson would cause problems for Ali
I would give Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Riddick Bowe and Wladimir Klitschko (he has size and a saftey first style that while boring is efective aganst shorter opoents. Also like Lewis he has to be able to take Tyson's punches.)
I think Tyson at his best would beat anyone else posibbaly within the first half of the fight.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #63
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Tyson slowed down pretty quickly even in his prime. Not that he became very tired, but after rushing his opponent in the first round he usually slowed down, if the other guy survived the opening period somewhat intact, and fought in bursts instead. It wasn't anything like the continuos pressure that Frazier applied, for example. Many times Tyson himself initiated clinches. And the belief that prime Tyson was more or less invincible is IMO contradicted by Tucker, who dominated the first three rounds against Tyson before hurting his right hand.

With that said, Tyson threw lethal combinations, was a great finisher, quite hard to hit and could take his opponent out within seconds if he found an opening.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #64
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
I know him and phill fag are brainless. Just go ask philly for his top ten heavy list
I responded to your top 10 question...and challenged you, young lady! to post your top 10 ...no surprise you declined...counting to 10 probably presents a problem??? I responded again...give me a reason why Tyson is so indestructable???...Hopefully it is better than: This is Mega Tyson we are talking about....or we are talking about prime Tyson!!!!!!!....or we are talking 86-89 Tyson (of course right before Buster..LOL)...try something original for once.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #65
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax
Lewis has no chin. He cannot evade the firepower of the Megatyson forever. once he's stunned, it's over.

You can't rule out an early Tyson KO, but if he doesn't get one (which is reasonably likely), the longer the fight goes on the more Lewis' grip will gradually increase on procedings. Perhaps not as one-sidedly as it did in their actual fight in '02 but his strength, power, uppercut and the fact he won't be bullied around or intimidated will come into play here.

I'm not going to rule out what a peak Tyson brings into the ring, speed, power, evasiveness and ability to finish virtually second to none in the divisions history. Facing him in the other corner, though won't be a Bruno, Biggs, Smith, Tucker or even Tokyo Douglas. It'll be somebody who's just plain better and will be going into the fight in a calm and more victory orientated frame of mind.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #66
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Tyson ALWAYS slowed down dramatically after 2 or 3 rounds, sometimes his intensity dropped markedly DURING the 2nd round ! This was actually a SMART way to fight though in some ways (because if a fighter could time Tyson's rushes and avoid them, he would have to think about initiating something himself when Tyson slowed down - thus leaving himself open), but often Tyson would fall into looking for one big punch if the fight went into the mid-rounds. He had lethargic spells during long fights, where he switched off for a while, looked bored and frustrated.

And people were commenting on this as far back as '86 and '87. Of course, the problem was worse when he was past his prime, and Kevin Rooney seemed to snap Tyson out of these lethargic spells when he was at his peak.

On Tyson-Foreman :
I cannot see Tyson beating Foreman. For all Foreman's flaws, he was a raw brute. He'd find Tyson EASY to push back because Tyson stands with his feet square on, and Foreman would just be coming forward, pushing and shoving, chopping down on Tyson with rabbit punches. He'd overwhelm Tyson. It would be ugly, short, brutish fight.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #67
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab

On Tyson-Foreman :
I cannot see Tyson beating Foreman. For all Foreman's flaws, he was a raw brute. He'd find Tyson EASY to push back because Tyson stands with his feet square on, and Foreman would just be coming forward, pushing and shoving, chopping down on Tyson with rabbit punches. He'd overwhelm Tyson. It would be ugly, short, brutish fight.
Disagree, but I've done that matchup twice before and ain't going back there.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #68
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
On Tyson-Foreman :
Agreed,

Of all great champions, Foreman would be my biggest pick to beat a prime Tyson. For some reason, fighters who either swarmed, stalked, or fought in a lower center of gravity were easy targets for Foreman. They just ate up his hooks and uppercuts, and of all the big punchers Tyson took shots from, Lewis, Smith, Bruno, Ruddock, etc. Foreman would be the hardest. I could see Tyson hurting George or even dropping him once, but in the end I can see Foreman knocking him out.

Wrong style for Tyson.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #69
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Disagree, but I've done that matchup twice before and ain't going back there.
Me too. I'm actually amongst the minority who give Tyson the edge head-to-head, he has the fast handspeed, explosiveness and power to get to Foreman first. Foreman whilst big and strong isn't nearly as fundamentally sound as Lewis, plus defensively he ain't exactly impossible to tag with frequency. Tyson's good chin and superior defense will help him.

You can't discount Foreman of course but if he doesn't land first and Tyson does then it's Foreman who will visiting the canvas with more frequency and will lose the fight. I honestly can't see the Foreman vs Frazier comparisons: Tyson starts better than Frazier, has superior power in both hands, better more fluid movement and is more multidimensional. I think he'd take Foreman towards later round when Foreman tires.

Tyson TKO9.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #70
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Of all great champions, Foreman would be my biggest pick to beat a prime Tyson.

Ali, Liston, Louis and Holyfield (most times) would be my picks. A peak Holmes and Lewis both have fine chances too.

Johnson and Tunney would be intriguing matchups whilst they lasted, but I reckon Tyson would eventually get to 'em both. Maybe.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #71
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Ali, Liston, Louis and Holyfield (most times) would be my picks. A peak Holmes and Lewis both have fine chances too.

Johnson and Tunney would be intriguing matchups whilst they lasted, but I reckon Tyson would eventually get to 'em both. Maybe.

True,

A prime Ali and peak Holyfield would both be good candidates to beat Tyson in top form. Louis might have some problems, but who knows.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #72
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax
Anyone who honestly thinks a guy that was spanked and dropped by Jimmy " What's punching power" Young will beat MegaTyson should have their entire family shot and killed.
At least Foreman finished the fight.
"MegaTyson" was beaten the shit out of and knocked out by a journeyman.
Buster Douglas never knocked out another top-flight fighter in his entire career, and was actually stopped by some mediocre fighters himself. Holyfield knocked him out in 3 rounds.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #73
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Foreman is very overrated. If ali can drop Foreman Mike tyson CAN!
I don't know if you're being serious or just humoring Snorlax, but if this is truly your logic, then the same could be said about Douglas knocking out Tyson.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum