Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #31
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Did You Know A Pro Boxer? Also Did You Box?

John Carr used to buy bananas in our shop. a quiet lad.

but god no I don't box, certainly didn't want to get my head kicked in at Grangetown boxing club, that town is a den of thuggery. I might yet take it up in one of these softer Southern clubs though.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Claus Holmen
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Boxed as an amateur 1976-1980. 19-4.
Last fight, a loss in the first round to the Danish Heavyweight Champion was documented in the news by a picture showing me, my ass hitting the floor.
Had 2 fights unlicensed in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. 1 Win and 1 Draw.
Sparred with Kalule and Mustapha Wasaja and shared gymn with Tom Bogs and Jorgen Hansen. Witnessed great sparring sessions: Monzon sparring before the Bogs fight. Victor Galendez before Jessie Burnett. Mustapha Wasaja and John Odiambo (world class lighthevyweights) better than any of their recorded fights. Kalule being outboxed in the gymn by talented Hans Henrik Palm. Tom Bogs and Johny Frankham - Frankham had outboxed but lost a hometown-decision to Bogs a couple of month before. Back in town Frankham was training for Tom Jensen, when someone asked Bogs to take a couple of rounds with Frankham. Bogs brutaly punished Frankham, the best I ever saw Bogs perform.
Met Muhammed Ali twice in 1979 in Copenhagen. Surpriced he wasīnt bigger. He, Ali the great entertainer looked tired and very bored. In a paying audience of 250 Danish fans he actually fell asleep. Woke up and asked: Where am I ? Copenhagen! Well I love Norway !!! Never got a Picture of Ali and me - my friend Preben so nervous he could not pull the trigger!!!
Punching the bag, 10 feet away from Jerry Quarry and his beutyful wife Arlene at the gymn, when Mike was getting ready for Tom Bogs. Jerry asking me to spar a couple of rounds with Mike. Mike saying: "No, he is to big !". And I was - the presence of Arlene had given me a big hardon. The Brothers wouldīve killed me for that.
Claus Holmen is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #33
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Holmen View Post
Boxed as an amateur 1976-1980. 19-4.
Last fight, a loss in the first round to the Danish Heavyweight Champion was documented in the news by a picture showing me, my ass hitting the floor.
Had 2 fights unlicensed in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. 1 Win and 1 Draw.
Sparred with Kalule and Mustapha Wasaja and shared gymn with Tom Bogs and Jorgen Hansen. Witnessed great sparring sessions: Monzon sparring before the Bogs fight. Victor Galendez before Jessie Burnett. Mustapha Wasaja and John Odiambo (world class lighthevyweights) better than any of their recorded fights. Kalule being outboxed in the gymn by talented Hans Henrik Palm. Tom Bogs and Johny Frankham - Frankham had outboxed but lost a hometown-decision to Bogs a couple of month before. Back in town Frankham was training for Tom Jensen, when someone asked Bogs to take a couple of rounds with Frankham. Bogs brutaly punished Frankham, the best I ever saw Bogs perform.
Met Muhammed Ali twice in 1979 in Copenhagen. Surpriced he wasīnt bigger. He, Ali the great entertainer looked tired and very bored. In a paying audience of 250 Danish fans he actually fell asleep. Woke up and asked: Where am I ? Copenhagen! Well I love Norway !!! Never got a Picture of Ali and me - my friend Preben so nervous he could not pull the trigger!!!
Punching the bag, 10 feet away from Jerry Quarry and his beutyful wife Arlene at the gymn, when Mike was getting ready for Tom Bogs. Jerry asking me to spar a couple of rounds with Mike. Mike saying: "No, he is to big !". And I was - the presence of Arlene had given me a big hardon. The Brothers wouldīve killed me for that.
This is the only story that I actually believe on this thread, LOL. What was your impression of Mikey as a fighter? Was he confident going into the Bogs fight?
Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #34
Claus Holmen
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
This is the only story that I actually believe on this thread, LOL. What was your impression of Mikey as a fighter? Was he confident going into the Bogs fight?
He arrived 4 days before the fight and he must have suffered from jetlag, even when he entered the ring at Brondbyhallen.
He was very soft-spoken and in the gymn at Idratshuset I saw him punch the bag, skip and shadow - no sparring.
I donīt know about his confidence going in to the fight. But I had expected him to win against Bogs. I thought he was faster than Bogs and I expected him to dictate the fight behind his jab. But Bogs was the faster one and his jab and left-hook couldīnt miss Mikeīs head. There was no doubt that Bogs won the fight. It was a good win for Bogs. And there were no complains from either Jerry or Mike.
But I think it was Mikeīs mistake to arrive so late.
Claus Holmen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing