Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Britain will overtake Cuba as amateur boxing's leading nation by the London 2012!!!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Decebal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419
Default Re: Britain will overtake Cuba as amateur boxing's leading nation by the London 2012!!!!!

Good news. and Err change your bloody avatar!
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Default Re: Britain will overtake Cuba as amateur boxing's leading nation by the London 2012!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
change your bloody avatar!

This is mine too, for the next week!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

That will definately bug me...:(
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
That will definately bug me...:(
Anyone else want to claim I stole "their" avatar?
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Anyone else want to claim I stole "their" avatar?
much better.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Britain will overtake Cuba as amateur boxing's leading nation by the London 2012!

"I truly believe that by the London Olympics we will be the new Cuba of amateur boxing if we keep the current structure in place," said Edwards

Has Edwards been on the old wacky backy ?

Cuba boycott the 2007 Worlds in Chicago and now Terry thinks he is the new Sarbelio Fuentes.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
dwilson

vCash:

Cuba will always dominate the amatures because they get to keep most of thier best fighters while in most other countries they turn over pro. Alot of other reasons too obviously.

It will be good to see how our top boys do in the olympics this summer and who knows what they may be able to achieve come 2012.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Cuba will always dominate the amatures because they get to keep most of thier best fighters while in most other countries they turn over pro. Alot of other reasons too obviously.

It will be good to see how our top boys do in the olympics this summer and who knows what they may be able to achieve come 2012.
Yet, some of their best athletes flee to become pro too...like Gamboa, for example.

You know, a decade or two ago, no one was beating he Romanians and USSR female gymnasts...then came the Chinese, then the Americans, then the Italians, Brits, Brazilians...etc...

change happens...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
rooq
East Side Guru

very strong olympic boxing team. should be a few medals out of that this summer.

i wonder how many will be tempted to turn pro immediately after though? i hope that the ones competing as teenagers this time round will remain amateur for the games in london.

the older ones like degale and gavin, i'd understand if they turned pro afterwards, assuming they return with a medal.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Hah, the ABA were going on about the funding they got to why they were having recent sucess, If there that reliant on funding then there shit to begin with.

In one of the Boxing News they went about gone are the days they send physically Immature boxers Into these tournments, don't they have more than just strength to rely on? They should of did weight training years ago for them Instead of being the backward bastards they are.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241
Default Re: Britain will overtake Cuba as amateur boxing's leading nation by the London 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
"I truly believe that by the London Olympics we will be the new Cuba of amateur boxing if we keep the current structure in place," said Edwards

Has Edwards been on the old wacky backy ?

Cuba boycott the 2007 Worlds in Chicago and now Terry thinks he is the new Sarbelio Fuentes.
Don't most of the Amatuers who turn pro find Edwards a pain In the arse? Tony Bellew mentioned It In the Liverpool Echo when he turned pro.

Didn't Audley go to the Olympics without him as well when Edwards is usually In the corner?
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Cuban amateur boxing will eventually succumb to the lure of the professional ranks when the country starts to change post Fidel. It may not happen next week or next year but it's only a matter of time. Your average Cuban just wants the same possibilities and opportunities that everyone else in the world has. As soon as the commonist walls come down and the embargo is lifted, Don King, Arum and GBP will be on that plane quicker than you can say Gloria Estefan.

Hopefully though, the future Cuban pros will exciting to watch.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Hah, the ABA were going on about the funding they got to why they were having recent sucess, If there that reliant on funding then there shit to begin with.
isn't the cuban team heavily funded by the state? - the fighters train as hard as professionals.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfWales
Cuban amateur boxing will eventually succumb to the lure of the professional ranks when the country starts to change post Fidel. It may not happen next week or next year but it's only a matter of time. Your average Cuban just wants the same possibilities and opportunities that everyone else in the world has. As soon as the commonist walls come down and the embargo is lifted, Don King, Arum and GBP will be on that plane quicker than you can say Gloria Estefan.

Hopefully though, the future Cuban pros will exciting to watch.
it would be a sad day in my book.

For the Brits - I wouldnt be getting too excited even if you get 11 fighters.

In my opinion only Frankie *cough*thepaddy*cough* Gavin has a decent chance and tbh I cant see him getting past Ugas. I would be glad to be proven wrong.
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum