Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
razaders

vCash: 500
Default Jab problems

I do not know if anyone else has this problem. But it seems like every time I use my jab as coaches want me to, people just time it and counter it? How would you avoid this?
razaders is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jab problems

Couple of different reasons it could be without knowing you...

The other person is more experienced than you.
Your punches are slow.
Your punches are predictable.

Those are some things I'd consider.
JagOfTroy is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

you probably pull it back a slight bit before you throw it but without video we can never know
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razaders View Post
I do not know if anyone else has this problem. But it seems like every time I use my jab as coaches want me to, people just time it and counter it? How would you avoid this?
1) Make sure you throw the jab from the correct range.
2) Effective feinting.
3) Slip as you throw the jab - Move your head down and to your right as you throw it (get your shoulder up high and keep your chin tucked for extra protection).
4) Jab to the body too - make it difficult to for you opponent to predict where your jab will land (obviously this makes it more difficult for him to counter as well as allowing you to set up your attacks).
5) You have to commit to landing the jab - not always easy if you expect to be countered but you have to commit to landing otherwise you will be countered.
6) Variation in speed and power - Throw some fast and light, or on other occasions drive off your back foot aiming for the chest (just make contact) - aim to take your opponents balance (he won't be able to counter as effectively if he is off balance).
7) Do not telegraph (unless done deliberately as a feint)

All the above sounds simple but the reality is that it takes time and focussed training inside and outside the ring to be effective.

Hope this helps, let me know if anything is unclear.

Good luck.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Just throw lots of jabs and get good at it.

Also, the jab isn't supposed to be a single punch. It's the easiest punch to counter if you know it's coming out all by itself. So make your jab the thing that makes people get out of there because they know the pain train is on the way. In other words, throw combinations and use your jab to set up power shots. These are the things your coach will tell you once you figure out the basics, but do it now anyhow.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Ralph the Dog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2005 View Post
you probably pull it back a slight bit before you throw it but without video we can never know
Could be it. Opponents can take advantage when you telegraph your punches. Whether it be by loading up by pulling the punch back before delivering it or even screwing your face up just before punching.

As per above, practice throwing lots of jabs from all types of angles and without telegraphing your intent to throw the punch.
Ralph the Dog is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Physically, there is not a single thing you can do to keep a from hitting you with a right hand over your jab. Not one single freaking thing. If he wants to hit you with a hook off your jab? Not one single thing you can do to stop it. If an opponent is laying dead to counter your jab, he will do it.
The things you do to prevent it are mental. Set him up. Make him move first and counter him. Watch Albert Davila. ALWAYS counter punch.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Physically, there is not a single thing you can do to keep a from hitting you with a right hand over your jab. Not one single freaking thing. If he wants to hit you with a hook off your jab? Not one single thing you can do to stop it. If an opponent is laying dead to counter your jab, he will do it.
The things you do to prevent it are mental. Set him up. Make him move first and counter him. Watch Albert Davila. ALWAYS counter punch.
As Greys says, every-bodies a counter Puncher., we counter movement. Analizing connections and possibly,s of the movement before.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing